Cattail Slough Elimination

UGUIDE

An estimated 60,000 acres of cattail sloughs, in North Dakota alone, have been eliminated since 1991 according to Agweek news paper I just read. The main reason is to reduce damage to crops (sunflowers) by reducing habitat for blackbirds that eat the plants seeds.

The method is herbicide spray to kill cattails. Last year 3,700 acres were sprayed in ND.

Turns out any landowner can apply to USDA to treat their slough and Government turns around and hires it out at a cost to the taxpayer at $22/acre.

I get that sick feeling in my stomach again. Cattail sloughs provide some of the finest if not the only critical winter habitat for pheasants and other wildlife.

How long do you think it will take them to figure out that cattails in sloughs probably play a key role in filtering out contaminants from reaching the water tables???

An estimated 60,000 acres of cattail sloughs, in North Dakota alone, have been eliminated since 1991 according to Agweek news paper I just read. The main reason is to reduce damage to crops (sunflowers) by reducing habitat for blackbirds that eat the plants seeds.

The method is herbicide spray to kill cattails. Last year 3,700 acres were sprayed in ND.

Turns out any landowner can apply to USDA to treat their slough and Government turns around and hires it out at a cost to the taxpayer at $22/acre.

I get that sick feeling in my stomach again. Cattail sloughs provide some of the finest if not the only critical winter habitat for pheasants and other wildlife.

How long do you think it will take them to figure out that cattails in sloughs probably play a key role in filtering out contaminants from reaching the water tables???

Uguide:

I own a part of a large slough in SE South Dakota that is choked up with cattails. The slough is about 100 acres and is under water most of the time however the open water is only about 15 to 20 acres and the rest is cattails. Ideally the open water/cattail ratio should be about 50/50 so I've tried to find a away to reduce the cattails and increase the open water. Since we don't find a lot of sunflowers in this area the primary benefit of reducing the cattails is to help increase habitat for waterfowl. This slough is enrolled in the WRP program so I needed permission from the USDA to spray the cattails, which was granted. Then I applied for assistance with the Sunflower Association and USDA but was told that since there aren't a lot of sunflowers grown in the area that funding would not be available. I think most of the funding for cattail elimination is coming from the US Fish and Wildlife Service or the Sunflower association, with help from the USDA.

However, I did purchase a small quantity of Rodeo Herbicide and tried to spray some of the cattails on my own. We cut a path to the open water with corn knives and sprayed both sides of the path using back pack sprayers. What a job because you have to do it in August for best effectiveness so carrying a backpack in a foot of water choked with cattails on a hot and muggy day is a job for a young man, of which I'm not. Then on another day we took a small duck boat and used it to spray the outside edge of the open water. It was a big effort and we probably only sprayed a half acre but we hope to get back out there next summer to spray some more in hopes of moving the cattails back a little each year.

According to the instructions, it is best to spray cattails at the end of July or early August. A couple of weeks after spraying the affected cattails started turning brown. But a few weeks later all the unsprayed cattails turned brown too as part of the normal growth cycle so in Sept and Oct it wasn't possible to distinquish the cattails that were sprayed with the ones that weren't. Supposedly the cattails we sprayed last summer will not grow this summer and so we shall see. If we see good results we hope to go back and spray some more.

Last spring while doing some work in northern SD, I saw a slough that looked like it had been sprayed for cattails. I should have taken a picture because the waterfowl were really using the slough, I suppose because of the shallow water depth, which is hard to find. Most cattails will grow in areas that have less than a foot of water. Any more than a foot and they can't survive and less than a foot they will thrive.

In summary, I feel that this is a good program for waterfowl. Because of the cost I doubt if many acres will actually be sprayed and even if sprayed the cattails will come back in four to five years unless sprayed again. I estimate the cost of spraying a 20 acre patch of cattails with an airplane would cost between $50 to $75 per acre. I called a couple of airplane chemical applicators and they seem reluctant to spray cattlails because it usually is a small area to spray and because of the risk involved with overspraying on unwanted areas using Roundup based herbicide like Rodeo, which would be a liablility issue for them. I suppose the cost could be less per acre if several areas are going to be sprayed at one time as what may happen in areas where a lot of sunflowers are grown like in ND.

I can see where one would not want to lose good cattail habitat for pheasants but this program may only target very large cattail sloughs and mostly just in ND where more ducks and geese may benefit. Another way to control cattails is to simply cut them down in the fall and winter and so many of the smaller cattail sloughs can be treated this way.

LM

Last edited:
Other options might include: deep flooding, grazing, burning, and disking. If done with the intent of reducing the density and overall coverage of the cattails instead of eliminating them, most species would benefit. Yes, the ducks will see the benefit if the cattails are removed. The winter benefits for pheasants will be gone unless some other species sprouts in the cattails absence. Cheyenne Bottoms flooded severely last year. The water stayed on most of the growing season. As a result, we got good control of what was a severe and costly problem before. It was an unproductive year for the waterfowl because very little vegetation grew at all. In the long run, it will be a significant improvement.

Back in the 90's my favorite duck slough succamb to drought and filled in with cattails. Today it is back to normal water levels and so are the cattails. Nature has a good way of regulating them. That's Allstates stand....:rolleyes:

Back in the 90's my favorite duck slough succamb to drought and filled in with cattails. Today it is back to normal water levels and so are the cattails. Nature has a good way of regulating them. That's Allstates stand....:rolleyes:

Not much better winter cover for pheasant than good cattails, for sure. Only problem is neighbors may not like them on your land if they are trying to grow sunflowers. Better to plant short shrub-like trees for winter cover - and you won't have as much trouble from the neighbors ...... oops, did I say that.......dam I mean't...

LM

Last edited:

Exactly what I have noticed. With all the bouncing around between drought and wet years, some sloughs see a lot of diversity.
I think the point is re ND it is not good for wildlife to take out the entire slough.
They were doing some controled burns at Sand lake two years ago, I belive to create better waterfowl habitat.
________
Ts100

Last edited:
Landman, I don't mean any disrespect but...this is what I think about that....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5swQa8V5LTM

Uguide, exactly the way I see it too. Just trying to make a little humor about planting trees and neighbors. I'd plant cattails too but they seem to grow on their own for the most part, and I happen to like blackbirds too and don't care if they eat sunflowers in the neighbor's fields. Additionally, if it was up to me I'd kill the program to spray cattails and put the money saved into creating more cattails.

I think we are on the same page.

LM

Landman, after knowing what you have gone through with your tree project I know you cannot possibly be intimidated by what the neighbors think.

We are of like mind.

You're comment just made me think of that song and I always wanted to do a cool "JMB like" post with something techno-cute and that is the best I could come up with.
:cheers:

Landman, after knowing what you have gone through with your tree project I know you cannot possibly be intimidated by what the neighbors think.

We are of like mind.

You're comment just made me think of that song and I always wanted to do a cool "JMB like" post with something techno-cute and that is the best I could come up with.
:cheers:

I don't know why anyone would want to plant sunflowers anyway. In fact, we could better decrease blackbirds by eliminating sunflowers rather than cattails. Besides, isn't the sunflower a noxious weed?

LM

Last edited:
Well, if they are a weed they gotta be pretty easy to grow and don't take a lot of inputs. Prices on flowers have been up on recent years which is why more farmers are growing them. They can be a good rotational crop and actually serve as a hardpan breakup tool (biodrilling as opposed to ripping with a huge tractor).

The climate where we are at is probably better suited to flowers & sorghum than corn/beans.

It is becoming very clear that my operators system (cash rent) and my system (my land management as a whole) are divergent paths and not sustainable. This leads to my next threan in this forum (Sustainable Ag).

During drought years ND farmers burn, disk, plow under the smaller cattail sloughs at an alarming rate.

They do not usually drain tile the slough away ...

When the rains return, these low areas fill with water and the cattails return rather thick within 2 - 3 years.

Every year, one farmer in my neighborhood cuts a small slough, 2-3 acres in the fall unless it happens to be too wet to get into. It is mostly slough grass with some cattails. I do not see any weeds in there. In '07 we got substantial rain right after he did it. I cannot understand why he does it as there does not seem to be any advantage for the cost and time involved. There are no sunflowers around and this is a small piece that overall would not have a large affect on any thing that I can see. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the snow drifts up on the adjacent county blacktop, but I see a lot of similar areas where this is not done.
Any ideas?
________
Buy Vaporizers

Last edited:
many farmers run by the old rule idle hands are the devil's hands ... they cannot sit still.

By brother and I used to joke about farmers out cutting sloughs or picking rocks on Thanksgiving Day .... then again he probably cannot understand why someone would travel 300 miles to hunt pheasants.

many farmers run by the old rule idle hands are the devil's hands ... they cannot sit still.

By brother and I used to joke about farmers out cutting sloughs or picking rocks on Thanksgiving Day .... then again he probably cannot understand why someone would travel 300 miles to hunt pheasants.

Ain't it the truth. You see a lot of ditches get burned if the farmers get the crops out and the weather is right. Never figured that one, but I guess it helps control weeds.
________
HONDA RC170

Last edited:
I agree with you UGUIDE the total elimination of a slough and the managment of a slough for more wildlife habitat is two very different things. I think if all the cabs were removed from tractors much less habitat would be mowed into oblivion!

WIN, good luck. Only in America can you have one landowner on south side of interstate laying down tile and ditching to drain every ounce of wnater from his rich farmland and on the north side of interstate do you have the conservationist landowner pluggin up the ditches to restore wetlands.

I have a problem with destruction of native wetlands carved out by glacial sculpting.

Farmers basically move with the markets. If wetalnd restoration pays they will do it. If draining pays, they will do it.

You are so right UGUIDE and it is usally our money subsidizing both! I have one nieghbor who has put his farm of about one hundred and fifty acres into CRP and planted warm season grasses and hundreds of trees.The land next to him was also in CRP and came out this year and this landowner took his ten years of payments and used them to clear out all the fencerows and drain and clear a small but nice wetland area of six or seven acres. Guess where I like my tax money going to help?

You are so right UGUIDE and it is usally our money subsidizing both! I have one nieghbor who has put his farm of about one hundred and fifty acres into CRP and planted warm season grasses and hundreds of trees.The land next to him was also in CRP and came out this year and this landowner took his ten years of payments and used them to clear out all the fencerows and drain and clear a small but nice wetland area of six or seven acres. Guess where I like my tax money going to help?

WIN, am I mistaken. I assume the landowner had his land in CRP for 10 years and got paid as such. At end of contract he has every right to do what he is doingf even though it goes against our overall objective. How is his last 10 years of payments helping to purchase efforts to take out fencerows and such?

As conservationists we must be sure to get straight facts and manage tax dollars to incent conservation accordingly.

Bottom line is conservation costs and it also must pay.

WIN, am I mistaken. I assume the landowner had his land in CRP for 10 years and got paid as such. At end of contract he has every right to do what he is doingf even though it goes against our overall objective. How is his last 10 years of payments helping to purchase efforts to take out fencerows and such?

As conservationists we must be sure to get straight facts and manage tax dollars to incent conservation accordingly.

Bottom line is conservation costs and it also must pay.

I'm guessing that the CRP payments more than likely went to paying personal property taxes, maintenance, weed control and interest on the mortgage. If there was anything left after that it probably wasn't much.

Let's say you purchase a quarter of land (160 acres), all tillable, for $3000 per acre. You pay $1000 per acre ($160,000) down and mortgage the rest. Interest on the $320,000 mortgage will be about $22,000 per year and taxes will be about $2500 per year. Then you enroll the whole thing into CRP for $110 per acre so you have an income of $17,600 per year. Therefore:

Income = $17,600
Expenses = $24,500
Loss = $6900 per year

And this is before paying principal payments, maintenance and weed control.

LM

Last edited:
Back