Cat question

Husker

Ok guys, I need some help with this one..... Got this picture of my trail cam last week. Camera's mounted about 3 1/2 feet off the ground. I think I know what it is, I just want someone else to say it.......

Steve

SUNP0076.jpg

Steve,

Looks like a cougar to me. Is that what you are thinking? Where was your trail cam located? Seems like we are getting more and more reports of cougars in eastern SD.

George

Sure looks like a Bobcat (Lynx Rufus)...or Catamount, whatever you call them up that way. Maybe a young Cougar, not yet in full adult coat.

Would a bobcat be that tall?? It's located in Hand Co. South Dakota.... I was thinking cougar.

Thanks guys,

Steve

JNorm -

That was a great last photo. Plenty of those around the SW part of Mpls/St. Paul.

I think it's a cougar in the photo. Did you notify the local DNR? Sometimes they like to have a heads up.

We had reports of mountain lions up here in NE MN. I talked to some people during last year that saw wounded deer from the season that had been chewed on by lions.

There's no way it's a whitetail fawn. The ears are not nearly long enough. Has to be a cougar or bobcat, but I'm still leaning toward cougar since I don't see any tufts on the ears like a bobcat has. Also, a bobcat wouldn't be that tall.

There's no way it's a whitetail fawn. The ears are not nearly long enough. Has to be a cougar or bobcat, but I'm still leaning toward cougar since I don't see any tufts on the ears like a bobcat has. Also, a bobcat wouldn't be that tall.

On second thought, I agree. No ear tufts. Cougar.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to run down the local DNR when I'm in town this week. I've herd of sightings in the area before just was hoping it wasn't on our ground. I know one thing for sure, I'm gona let the sun get up a little bit before walking into my stand tomorrow morning! :mad:

Steve

JNorm -

We had reports of mountain lions up here in NE MN. I talked to some people during last year that saw wounded deer from the season that had been chewed on by lions.

Guy I know that bear hunts north of deluth claims to have had a cougar on a bear bait several years ago. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

My initial thought was a whitetail fawn. Ears could be laying down a little giving elusion to being much shorter. Pattern of hair on forhead looks similar to what I have been seeing in woods lately. Are there other pictures of fawns in area from your camera that might match up?

From your location it would be a lot more likely to be a young male cougar than a bobcat. A lot of bobcats will not have very noticable ear tassels though...they are more obvious in the lynx. I would guess a young cougar though.

I saw a big cat track close to Platte SD about ten days ago...it was as big as the palm of my hand...I had a trail camera out close to my house....took it down after I saw Big Foot and Elvis ...scared me to death...he he.

It looks like a Whitetail fawn to me too. What looks like the top of the fawn's eye socket is just visible at the bottom of the photo. I think the angle of the shot makes the ears appear to be shorter than they are too.

Back