Camping for upland hunting

The cooking is a team effort. We use the down time during the heat of the day to do a lot of the prep work, so all we have to do is light the fire when we get in at night. The camping has its pros and cons. It’s a lot of work for sure but it’s also nice setting around at night and not seeing a light or hearing car traffic etc. It also puts us right where we want to start hunting the next day which on this trip saved us about an hour and half drive from the nearest hotel. The heat out in the Sandhills was actually a relief from the heat we are use to in TN. My dogs usually run twice a day during the summer so a 2 hour or so run out there wasn’t too hard on them. There was also a shower house at a RV campground nearby so that was a game changer for sure, hot shower each day while camping makes a huge difference.
Old Hickory, So do u live in Old Hickory? I am in Lancaster by Center Hill Lake.

If I can't plug in my electric blanket, I'm too far out!
I understand. That is why you bring your generator for the blanket. We have done that on trips out west in the Mountains. Crazy Nice....As most of you know, at night in the mountains it is cold....brrrrrr

Last edited:
I've taken my pop-up truck camper all over WI, UP and SD...even in the snow. I have heat, water heater, shower, fridge, etc. Perfect for me and 2 dogs.
Can we see your set-up for water heater? Are you camping in campground or boondocking?

No, I’m in Covington, TN. My last name is Jackson and I was always a fan of Andrew so that’s where old hickory came from.
This is strange. I actually went to a huge hog killing several times at a farm, big social event. Owner of the farm was Andrew Jackson, he was a direct descendant of your know who. Great time, food was frog legs, elk meat, shrimp, open bar, then at 12:00 the pickup truck would drive into the horse arena with a 400-500 pound hog cooked for 24 hoursl Very hot pork, you would grab a big handful bare handed, and bread. It was very cool to say the least. At that time I had a friend who was a big shot, so he would invite me. Long live his memory... Mr. Les.....

Here is our little camper. In a campground near Glacier N.P. Tent is on 1/4 ton military trailer. Whole setup weighs about 1100 pounds.
I still think the topper on a pick-up may be the best solution. No set-up, doesn't matter if it rains, snows, etc. Easy to heat, etc. I met a guy from Colorado in Kansas one year and that is what he did for a whole month.

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_151727512_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20211008_151727512_BURST002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
My truck/camper is on the small end but I offroad often enough that the smaller size is nice. At max I have me and my girlfriend plus two dogs. Wouldn't want any more people or dogs for this setup but it's perfect for solo hunting with dogs. Nothing fancy inside, a good quality mattress and then just use camp stove and the mr buddy heater inside.
View attachment 3945
heavier springs and shocks? gas milage?

Little, I believe you have the best setup of all. Hardtop for rain, snow, no setup, etc. If I didn't have a Cruiser, that is the setup I would have.

Dude, You have a Taco. If it has coil springs on the rear all you have to do is put air bags in coils. Lift her up as much as you want. Get bags rated for 2k pounds. I just ordered some for my Cruiser. Old ones were shot. But I had them for 14+ years, lol

I've wanted to do this for years but can never justify the extra work for a $60/night motel where we go. Split 2 ways it is just so dang cheap. I did buy a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 tent this year though with a stove...so maybe that will push me over the edge. I have been wanting to do a South/North Dakota trip or camp for grouse in Colorado. It will get used...at some point. Be much easier if I had a hunting buddy that would commit outside of an hour from home.

I got a 15 cu ft. pvc coated car top soft shell bag off of Amazon to keep my sleeping bag, pads and lawn chairs in and keep the dust out of them in the bed of my truck. And make it easier to keep track of at home. If I was strapped for space I’m sure it would ride on top of the dog box. 35 bucks can’t beat that

heavier springs and shocks? gas milage?
Currently I only have airbags on the rear to help level it. The stock springs and shocks do suprisingly well, although I would like to upgrade them at some point. I do run E rated tires though. After gutting it, I believe it's around 1,000lbs which doesn't leave a whole lot for GVWR so I'm looking to buy an aluminum camper like the 4wheelcampers to help reduce that weight.

Basically I lose 2 MPG with the camper. So getting 17-19 instead of 19-21.

But I do absolutely think it's the best way to go for the type of hunting I do.

I've always thought about doing some camping for upland hunting. There are plenty of times where we go on a day trip, but other times if I drive 2.5-3 hours to hunt and want to make a weekend out of it I wonder if getting a camper is the way to go. What experiences have you guys had camping? And is it easy to find a place to set up during bird season, or are all the campgrounds closed down?
You can just pull off the road and camp.No campground needed.

I like the small pop up the best.Hunted out of a 74 caveman for 25 years. 9 footer.That was a great camper.Lots of fond memories with my labs, and good friends, out in the boonies of montana.

A hot shower is manageable with or without a camper or campground: A sunshower placed in the sun while afield is often warmer than a campground shower. A step stool, rope, or even putting it on the topper of my truck… but I loved the last setup we came up with in the Big Horns which allowed privacy even on Labor Day weekend!

Attachments

• B18781A5-E611-438B-AA5C-6AA35547EA3B.jpeg
    B18781A5-E611-438B-AA5C-6AA35547EA3B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
Back