Camping for upland hunting

Bob Peters

I've always thought about doing some camping for upland hunting. There are plenty of times where we go on a day trip, but other times if I drive 2.5-3 hours to hunt and want to make a weekend out of it I wonder if getting a camper is the way to go. What experiences have you guys had camping? And is it easy to find a place to set up during bird season, or are all the campgrounds closed down?

I have been camping for bird hunting for about 4 years.

I have camped while bird hunting in Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa. I plan on hunting in South Dakota this fall.

I have done both remote and campground camping.

When remote camping, I can usually stay 3 days with battery power and water.

I have yet to be crowded anywhere. Campgrounds are often empty during bird seasons. The electricity is often still available and sometimes the bathroom/showers are too.

Depends on the area you go. Most campgrounds will still be open and very empty. If you hunt blm or national forest/grassland you can most likely camp very close to where you hunt. If you do walk in programs, there might not be very close camping.

Heat is probably the most important part especially later season. A camper is a very good option since you can make it Basecamp and still drive truck to areas. I do a slide in camper which is nice for harder backroads, but constantly have to break camp to drive to areas.

I have camped numerous times for hunting, we usually tent camp/bird camp for MN opener with a couple of us that all set up tents at a farm in SW MN and do it the that way. I have also camped numerous times in SD at a state park in our campers. And last year myself and a buddy slept in our trucks with the back set up for sleeping and that was also enjoyable. It really depends on what you are trying to get out of it. If it's just a spot to sleep then sleeping at your spot in your truck would be best if that is possible. If your in it for relaxation and having a few drinks and a fire at night then either tent camping or having a camper is nice. Either way it's all about the experience. Enjoy!

Have camped for sage grouse in Wyoming a couple of times. Camped our way around eastern Montana for 5 days for pheasants and sharpies. Tent camping is good from a make your own location standpoint. It gets tough if you are picking up and moving every day. If you tent camp , invest in a good quality folding cot. They dont take up much room when traveling and beats the ground any day of the week.

I camp for upland hunting, and also have back packed into remote areas for birds. Longest hike in was for White-tailed ptarmigan in the Northern Utah. That trip was a heart breaker 12 mile hike in with my English setter, caught in a thunder storm while setting up camp. Next morning making the climb up to suitable Ptarmigan habitat my Setter got caught in a rock slide and injured her right front leg ad shoulder. We made the 12 mile hike back out with her on three legs. So you have to expect the unexpected.My biggest problem is just the non-hunting time, trying to stay busy in between the best hunting times. Taking a nap, puttering around camp, maybe photography etc. Juts plain old boredom.

I know that campgrounds in SD prime areas get booked up well into the season. In those cases, I recommend trying the local bar in the small towns near where you hunt and ask for a spot to park for a couple days in their back lot. You can often get access to a power outlet and use the bathrooms inside if you are in freezing temps and don't want to use your tanks. Cold snacks and game on TV nearby in the evenings. Stumble into the bathrooms in the morning, stumble out to the camper at night.

It appears on top of our normal pheasant camp for MN opener this year we will be tent camping for our annual SD trip. This will be a similar camp to MN with tents and just electrical so we will have to bring water and all the other things needed. We do this trip in the middle of November so a electric heater is a must in the tent for at night. I am really looking forward to it as the campground is surrounded by state hunting land and you wake up to the sound of roosters cackling in the morning. Nothing better when drinking morning coffee

We have an 18’ toy hauler we set up for base camp. Hunt in SD and WI. Some campgrounds are closed and some have water off, but I’ve still been able to find some open. Late in the year (cold temps), you won’t have usable water in your camper so you have to deal with that.
We rented two campers before buying one to figure out what our needs would be. I would recommend renting one first.

We have an 18’ toy hauler we set up for base camp. Hunt in SD and WI. Some campgrounds are closed and some have water off, but I’ve still been able to find some open. Late in the year (cold temps), you won’t have usable water in your camper so you have to deal with that.
We rented two campers before buying one to figure out what our needs would be. I would recommend renting one first.
Can u let us see your setup?

I’ve slept in my truck bed with a fiberglass capper on it and utilized a heater. I also have a cargo trailer I converted into my hunting rv. It has insulated walls , heat, a/c and bare necessities( microwave, coffee machine, propane grill. Even had 3 dogs sleeping in it with me one year up in Kansas when we got caught in a snowstorm🤣.

I've taken my pop-up truck camper all over WI, UP and SD...even in the snow. I have heat, water heater, shower, fridge, etc. Perfect for me and 2 dogs.

My truck/camper is on the small end but I offroad often enough that the smaller size is nice. At max I have me and my girlfriend plus two dogs. Wouldn't want any more people or dogs for this setup but it's perfect for solo hunting with dogs. Nothing fancy inside, a good quality mattress and then just use camp stove and the mr buddy heater inside.
20190828_111608.jpg

Back