Camping for upland hunting

Well after an awful night's sleep last night I can highly NOT recommend sleeping in the cab of an f150.

Still worth it to get some chicken hunting in!
I slept in the front passenger side of my Suburban for a few nights in MT years ago. I lived to tell about it but I did rig up the back end for the following few years which was very comfy w 2 Golden Retrievers.

My truck/camper is on the small end but I offroad often enough that the smaller size is nice. At max I have me and my girlfriend plus two dogs. Wouldn't want any more people or dogs for this setup but it's perfect for solo hunting with dogs. Nothing fancy inside, a good quality mattress and then just use camp stove and the mr buddy heater inside.
View attachment 3945
I've used a similar set up at times.I don't like pop ups in cold weather. They don't hold heat well because of that canvas.On the plus side, they are lite,and can go off road.

I've used a similar set up at times.I don't like pop ups in cold weather. They don't hold heat well because of that canvas.On the plus side, they are lite,and can go off road.
The cold is a huge disadvantage so I tend to no use it december/january. You can by just using the heater all night, but then its like $15/night which can be better spent at the hotel. I would love an Alaskan hard side pop but they are expensive.

The cold is a huge disadvantage so I tend to no use it december/january. You can by just using the heater all night, but then its like $15/night which can be better spent at the hotel. I would love an Alaskan hard side pop but they are expensive.
I hunt the Canadian in December. Very cold, very frozen. Need a good camper, with a good heater!!!

I slept in the front passenger side of my Suburban for a few nights in MT years ago. I lived to tell about it but I did rig up the back end for the following few years which was very comfy w 2 Golden Retrievers
Isn’t everything comfier with a couple of Golden’s .

I have been camping for bird hunting for about 4 years.

I have camped while bird hunting in Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa. I plan on hunting in South Dakota this fall.

I have done both remote and campground camping.

When remote camping, I can usually stay 3 days with battery power and water.

I have yet to be crowded anywhere. Campgrounds are often empty during bird seasons. The electricity is often still available and sometimes the bathroom/showers are too.
I thing a slide in camper is the way to go. You save motel fees, you can camp anywhere, you save lots of time and fuel.The draw back is, no shower, no going to the bars, no TV, no store diwn the street.

1665317796689.png

Yep, this is camping. But I may possibly use this for a few days on one of our private grounds in SD, since the old farmhouse is no longer useable. Probably not, but you never know.

Last edited:
Back