Browning Gold Fusion vs Benelli UL

Recycling issues, google it, well documented. I had a problem with M1s, Black Eagle and finally had no problems with a Vinci.

Got the girlfriend a BUL 12 gauge this November. It cycles like a dream and is quite nice to carry. However, it has its own issues. The weather tech coating on the stock started peeling in cold Temps. The poi is off as well. Shoots low. Reliably cycles everything we have fed thru it, I am not fond of the clunky pongo stick feel when it cycles though. Overall, better than most options available these days, but it could be a lot better... it is a cheaply made firearm at a not so cheap price imho.

I have a fusion. While I did like using it, the stock split through the grip. Seems like the recoil spring slammed back too hard or something. Quite a sensation when your shooting at a rooster and your hand feels the expansion.

Got the girlfriend a BUL 12 gauge this November. It cycles like a dream and is quite nice to carry. However, it has its own issues. The weather tech coating on the stock started peeling in cold Temps. The poi is off as well. Shoots low. Reliably cycles everything we have fed thru it, I am not fond of the clunky pongo stick feel when it cycles though. Overall, better than most options available these days, but it could be a lot better... it is a cheaply made firearm at a not so cheap price imho.
Have you talked to Benelli about the poi and the stock? Wondering if they stand behind their stuff

I shoot an UL….before that, a montefeltro for 20+ years.
I'm almost up to 20 years with my Monty. I love that gun. When I bought it, the Ultra Light hadn't even been invented yet. I may someday try an UL but I am not there yet. The reliability of the inertia system is a big selling point for me over a gas one. I've never once had the Montrefeltro fail either. I can remember once in almost 20 years that I forgot to chamber a round though (operator error).

I think as long as you stick with 2 3/4 inch rounds on the lighter shotguns, the recoil isn't bothersome. I would highly advise against going with any kind of magnum round in 3 inch or bigger though. They really jump with bigger shells. I tried it once hunting geese and that was the last time. I wouldn't dare put a turkey load through it. Use the bigger, heavier shotgun for magnum rounds. The extra weight takes on that recoil so you don't have to.

Just throwing out another option for you to consider and that would be a new Browning A5 12 ga. They are not gas operated and have an inertia system similar to the Benelli. Based on Browning's web site a A5 12 ga. with a 26" barrel would weigh 6 lbs. 11 oz. I have a new A5 in a Sweet Sixteen and love it. The 16 ga. is under 6 lbs.

The new Montefeltro is superior to the UL in every way. First the ease of loading on this gun is as good as it gets. A child could load it with one finger. 2nd it is very slim feeling, very similar to a 20 gauge. The narrow forearm feels as thin as my 20 gauge Monte. 3rd it is light. Holding the new Monte and UL side by side, they feel about the same. The advertised weight has the UL a few ounces lighter but side by side it is unnoticeable. Actually the slim lines of the Monte make feel like a much smaller gun. 4th you have the new bolt design with Monte so no Benelli click. 5th No cheap carbon rib. 6th you can load 5 shells in the Monte where you can't in the UL. There will also be less recoil on the Monte. And the UL looks old and out dated. I just can't think of one advantage to buying the UL. And I also think the Monte can be had for a $100 or 2 less.

Last edited:
Back