Browning Gold Fusion vs Benelli UL

Labradinger

Which would be your pick in a 12? Im kicking myself for passing on the Browning (not made anymore) for 700 bucks but I wasnt too familiar with it at the time. Only a pound more than the UL. Both fit me well and have high ribs. Every Fusion I see used lately is about a grand, and I rarely see a used UL ( a good sign I spose). I have seen new UL as low as 1350, usually 1500 though. Anyone had both care to comment?

To me, that extra lb is a lot! I shoot an UL….before that, a montefeltro for 20+ years. I shoot many other guns, mostly S x S’s that weigh between 6-6.5 lbs…one is around 7 1/8….also, a beretta AL 391 20 gauge that weighs about 6 1/8 or so…maybe I’m a weakling, as has been suggested here for those that gravitate to lighter guns, but I get on birds more quickly than about anyone I hunt with…yup, I’m a weakling…but I wouldn’t go back to a 7 lb gun as my primary gun…I’m 57, maybe different if 27 or 37…but I bought a Citori superlight at age 16 and just loved its ease of carry (6 lbs, maybe 6 1/4)…always have loved lighter guns…that BUL is the deadliest gun I’ve carried.

What B.B. said. The only time I regret lite guns is at the range. But I hardly ever go there anymore now that I got a whirly bird. If I take it up again It'll give me a good excuse to buy one.

To me, that extra lb is a lot! I shoot an UL….before that, a montefeltro for 20+ years. I shoot many other guns, mostly S x S’s that weigh between 6-6.5 lbs…one is around 7 1/8….also, a beretta AL 391 20 gauge that weighs about 6 1/8 or so…maybe I’m a weakling, as has been suggested here for those that gravitate to lighter guns, but I get on birds more quickly than about anyone I hunt with…yup, I’m a weakling…but I wouldn’t go back to a 7 lb gun as my primary gun…I’m 57, maybe different if 27 or 37…but I bought a Citori superlight at age 16 and just loved its ease of carry (6 lbs, maybe 6 1/4)…always have loved lighter guns…that BUL is the deadliest gun I’ve carried.
You would not like the 3.5 inch Citori I kind of impulse bought a year ago!

As a Browning fan boy, I would definitely go with the lighter Benelli. What BB said, a pound is a big difference in the field. Maybe not as a trap gun, but carrying it miles each time out, you notice the difference. I stepped down to a 16 gauge from a 12 a few years ago, and the 12 I was using was really light for an auto (a hair under 7 pounds) and the 16 I use is a hair under 6 pounds and it feels like I'm carrying a toothpick out there.

I also like lighter guns as they feel snappier to me. I can shoulder and get on target much easier and quicker. And I say this as someone in there mid 30s.

This is my 2nd season carrying my Ultra Light and it is a joy to carry. As BB has already pointed out, it is absolutely the most deadly gun I have ever carried. It just points and shoots so nice. I doubt I will ever carry anything else...with the exception of my SxS 16 for occasional hunts.

I would agree lighter weight is preferred, however, if I have to carry heavier in the field I don't notice it. Carried an 870 12 on wpas, as I bought boss 12 shells. When not on wpas I carried a lt 20 gauge 1100, not light. When out west like extra capacity, I have doubles that are a dream to carry from weight and I do on the grouse woods. I'm 55 yrs young so weight is becoming an issue but I will push thru till I can no longer carry the heavier guns.

I apologize not really on topic.

I will be 60 in 3 weeks, still carrying a boat anchor (11-87), it must weigh 8.5 pounds or more fully loaded. It just feels like what a shotgun should to me. I can still pull-up as quick as anyone I hunt with, it could just be because I am always watching the dog and always ready if I am in any cover. It sounds like the UL would be a option to keep me in the field when/if the day comes I can't tote the big gun. How is the UL for recoil? The 11-87 recoil is minimal when you need that 2nd shot. I might have to start "preparing" for season as many here are doing, as these years keep coming.

I will be 60 in 3 weeks, still carrying a boat anchor (11-87), it must weigh 8.5 pounds or more fully loaded. It just feels like what a shotgun should to me. I can still pull-up as quick as anyone I hunt with, it could just be because I am always watching the dog and always ready if I am in any cover. It sounds like the UL would be an option to keep me in the field when/if the day comes I can't tote the big gun. How is the UL for recoil? The 11-87 recoil is minimal when you need that 2nd shot. I might have to start "preparing" for season as many here are doing, as these years keep coming.
It makes a big difference when you’re hunts are 3-4 hours on private CRP in Iowa.😄💪 For those of us that are out there chasing what is left that extra lb gets pretty heavy by the end of the day. I retired my 11-87 to my oldest about 15 years ago in favor of a 16ga Citori at about 6lbs

No apologies for creating habitat and knowing folks that own a bit here and there. Carp, you keep beating the public ground and I will keep doing my thing, we each enjoy what we have and how we do it. Shorter hunts, heavier guns and more birds is something I can tolerate at this point in my life....you can get used to almost anything.

No apologies for creating habitat and knowing folks that own a bit here and there. Carp, you keep beating the public ground and I will keep doing my thing, we each enjoy what we have and how we do it. Shorter hunts, heavier guns and more birds is something I can tolerate at this point in my life....you can get used to almost

Wasn’t meant to be taken personally. Some of you guys have a good thing going living in pheasant land. Unfortunately the birds are more elusive here

Dont feel bad, i hit 3 tracts of private yesterday in SD and saw 2 roosters (out of range) and a bunch of hens. The hens were the only thing that stuck around but the pup got some great work in and held a couple points a long time and didnt break after the flush

Very spooky birds yesterday with some crunchy snow, despite only an inch or two…windy in my area of SD…birds bunched up…good day.

I will be 60 in 3 weeks, still carrying a boat anchor (11-87), it must weigh 8.5 pounds or more fully loaded. It just feels like what a shotgun should to me. I can still pull-up as quick as anyone I hunt with, it could just be because I am always watching the dog and always ready if I am in any cover. It sounds like the UL would be a option to keep me in the field when/if the day comes I can't tote the big gun. How is the UL for recoil? The 11-87 recoil is minimal when you need that 2nd shot. I might have to start "preparing" for season as many here are doing, as these years keep coming.
Recoil isn’t an issue with the BUL, for me. I shoot 2 3/4” standard loads, 1200 fps. I’ve owned guns that were whippy due to being too light…shoot what works for you. I find the BUL to be a joy to carry, and shoot…

So I own a Browning Gold hunter semi-auto 12 ga and two Benelli's(12 ga) and by far the Benelli's are way better. The gas operated Browning constantly needs cleaning to the point it won't eject shells. Benelli's never have this issue ever as they are way cleaner being inertia operated. I don't shoot the Browning much any more as it weighs a pound more also. Never knew how much difference there was between gas and inertia guns until owning both myself.

I had the main spring replaced in my BUL a month ago after 7 years…made all the difference…did that with my montefeltro as well once or twice when that was my main gun…

Main spring issue is a know problem for Benelli. There are several after market springs that are better options than original. Waterfowling exerts tougher conditions and more volume shooting to foul up that main spring. We learned by experience waterfowling on the prairies

Back