Brood reports/ Last couple days of rain

Our farmer friend out west said I needed to lay off on the rain dancing for a few days, he would like to get the rest of his wheat out and no more weeds coming up through while he is cutting. Sounds like cover will be excellent if it doesn't bake in the late summer months. He has seen a couple clutches of pheasants while cutting so it shows some promise.

I went out west to clean out my guzzlers last weekend. A friend of mine was cutting wheat in central Ness county. When my wife pulled up the the field a hen with 7 babies was coming out just ahead of the combine. My wife got a picture of the hen and one of the babies hiding beside the pickup in the ditch. The babies were around 3 weeks old. They said they had seen babies in every field they had cut, and never saw any last year.

When we got to my farm in Finney county, we were driving along a windbreak and jumped one young bird from in front of the truck. It was about 4 weeks old so an early hatch. We also saw a rooster quail in both of my windbreaks, but no babies.

We saw a handful of roosters driving around, but only the one hen at the wheat field. We did see tons of jackrabbits. We drove backroads in Ness, Hodgeman, Lane, Finney and Ford counties.

Last edited:
I hunted every weekend last season, both days. Missed a few over Xmas time due to being sick. There were more than a few days I could have shot limits of quail but instead I watched the dogs work them.

You don't have to kill every bird that pops up and I think this is a valuable lesson for youth hunters. Teach them to appreciate just being out there and that the actual killing of the animal is not the highlight of the day.

That makes me almost sound like I am anti hunting/killing which I am definately not lol. But, even as a kid I enjoyed being out with my dad hunting whether we got anything or not. I was spending time with dad. He has been gone since 1991 and I am so glad that I was able to do that. I look back on those times as some of the best, whether we killed anything or not.

If a guy talleys up costs, even when bird numbers are up it's much cheaper to do a preserve hunt.

No way is it cheaper than doing a preserve hunt. We can drive 20 miles and kill 4 pheasant and 4 chukar for less than a $100. It takes a $80 to fill my tank. Then drive 300 miles, hotel, gas and food. No contest. I will shoot em off the preserve in the afternoon after I have shot a limit of greenheads in the morning.

Love it. You guys just stay home. One of my favorite things in the world is a dog that won't quit -- no matter what, he doesn't quit. Just keeps on busting his butt to find some birds because that's what he loves to do. It's not about the finding them, its about the adventure, the desire, the love for the experience of bird hunting and pure drive. I love it. Can't get enough of it and I have two dogs that will NEVER quit on me -- hell one tried to hunt with literally a face full of quills last year in MT. You want to know what is better -- seeing that dog lay it out -- on a 600 yard cast when he's run 30 miles that day and nail a covey of quail at the end of the day. And then opening the kennel door the next day to see him fired up and ready to go again. We can all learn life lessons from our dogs.

Sorry fellas, but pen-raised birds are lame. I don't care where you go or how much you pay, they require little skill from the dog and even less from the hunter. I've shot a fair number of pen-raised birds and you can certainly see that the same fire is not in the dog's eyes when they point those birds.

Love it. You guys just stay home. One of my favorite things in the world is a dog that won't quit -- no matter what, he doesn't quit. Just keeps on busting his butt to find some birds because that's what he loves to do. It's not about the finding them, its about the adventure, the desire, the love for the experience of bird hunting and pure drive. I love it. Can't get enough of it and I have two dogs that will NEVER quit on me -- hell one tried to hunt with literally a face full of quills last year in MT. You want to know what is better -- seeing that dog lay it out -- on a 600 yard cast when he's run 30 miles that day and nail a covey of quail at the end of the day. And then opening the kennel door the next day to see him fired up and ready to go again. We can all learn life lessons from our dogs.

Sorry fellas, but pen-raised birds are lame. I don't care where you go or how much you pay, they require little skill from the dog and even less from the hunter. I've shot a fair number of pen-raised birds and you can certainly see that the same fire is not in the dog's eyes when they point those birds.

I am not staying home, I am just not driving 400 miles to shoot nothing when I can stay home and hammer ducks, geese, doves, etc. My dog picked up over 2000 birds last year.

I tend to agree with you. Its not really about shooting a big pile of birds any more for me. Been there done that, not what drives me anymore.

But seeing my dogs flying over the ground, working the cover, and skidding to a stop in an intense point on wild birds. Thats what its all about.

A long hike on a perfect Fall day. Taking in everything about the countryside, habitat, plants and critters. Eager pups always hunting, the excitement when on birds. Getting in a couple good shots, missing a couple good shots. :eek:
What the heck, I like game, I sure don't need piles of dead birds. :)

I tend to agree with you. Its not really about shooting a big pile of birds any more for me. Been there done that, not what drives me anymore.

But seeing my dogs flying over the ground, working the cover, and skidding to a stop in an intense point on wild birds. Thats what its all about.

Ditto. Primarily seeing meadowlarks the past 2-3 years has gotten old. Hope it improves this year or is at least better.

I am not staying home, I am just not driving 400 miles to shoot nothing when I can stay home and hammer ducks, geese, doves, etc. My dog picked up over 2000 birds last year.

Have done the same the last couple years. Whatever it takes to get the dog some birds.

it is all about the dogs, but when the bird pop. drops drastically, economics eventually comes into play, sooner or later.

Last edited:
it is all about the dogs, but economics eventually comes into play, sooner or later.

Agree, used to go every weekend. When we go we usually drive anywhere from an hour to two hours to get there and hunt till mid-afternoon and then come home. The $ adds up pretty quick, if you're seeing birds it's worth it. Don't half to shoot them but need to at least see them and have the dogs be able to get some work. Still went quite a bit last year, but not every weekend. I spent 3 or 4 weekend shooting ducks and geese 10 minutes out my door. Usually was home by the time kids where getting out of bed. Pheasants are still my number one choice, but I also had a pretty darn good time last year with ducks and geese. I can also take my 5 year old boy with me to the duck blind, he's not old enough for pheasant hunting yet.

I am going out on a limb here and going to assume that those who are intent on hunting pheasant regardless of bird numbers run pointing dogs. Those that move on to ducks, geese, etc use Labradors or waterdogs of some nature. I had the absolute best setters in the country in the 80's but when quail became extinct in sek I moved on to retrievers.

My dog picks up a lot of doves and I mean a lot. We shoot a lot ducks. And when invited go pick up birds at the European pheasant hunts. I lived in the best pheasant country for 12 years so it's tough for me to drive out there with bird numbers so low.

WKBH, you'd be right, at least to me. I figure I've got these dogs for 10 - 11 years, if I am lucky. I am going to give them every opportunity in the world to find birds. We start in September chasing greaters, we take a trip to the mountain west to chase birds in October, start November 1 in Missouri and run it through the end of January (and maybe February if we can get a late season invite to a Texas quail lease or this year it might be a trip to Arizona to chase desert birds. This is one of the things I love to do -- and I've heard too many stories about guys who didn't have the time or the money when they were younger -who's bodies are incapable of letting them do it now. They tell me -- find the time, find the money. I believe it is sound advice.

Quail were never extinct in SEK, they just had some really bad years in the 90s and went down hill pretty fast. People gave up hunting them because ducks, geese, doves, etc. were easier. Now, there just aren't a lot of places to hunt quail down there, mainly because of access.

No way is it cheaper than doing a preserve hunt. We can drive 20 miles and kill 4 pheasant and 4 chukar for less than a $100. It takes a $80 to fill my tank. Then drive 300 miles, hotel, gas and food. No contest. I will shoot em off the preserve in the afternoon after I have shot a limit of greenheads in the morning.

Thats what I said. A preserve hunt is cheaper than a wild hunt by the time you figure in fuel, wear and tear on a vehicle, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not to include lodging. I have three places within a half hour I can spend 100 dollars on for birds and spend 30 on fuel there and back and be home in time for the game. But, what fun is that?

Back