Brand New Pheasant Hunter

Mil_Vet

Hello Guys,
I'm a brand new pheasant hunter living in Kansas City, KS. Is there anyone in the area that trains dogs, or that could give me a few pointers on training my year and half old lab Rudy. I'm having trouble getting him to retrieve the dummy every time. Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

Welcome to the SITE!! there will be someone who can help you on the Kansas state forum. however we can help you on training tips as well in general.

again, you picked the best site to be in.

Last edited:
I have seen alot of good advice on here and you will get your help your looking for. Welcome to the site. Keep us updated on the dogs progress.

Welcome to the site. I would have to think that there are some reputable trainers in the KC area that could help you out. If you have never trained a hunting dog I would recommend enlisting the services of a professional to help. There are a lot of good books out there on the subject that you could benefit from by reading. Getting you trained is as big a part of the equation as training the dog. :) But first and foremost, as many will agree on this site, is obedience training. Before you can have a good hunting dog he needs to be an obedient dog. So obedience is #1 in any training.

As for your retrieving problem. Obviously Labs are generally natural retrievers. If he is inconsistant in retrieving and/or retrieving to hand you may have to put him through a Trained Retrieve/Force Fetch Program. This just trains the dog to retrieve to hand each and every time. But this should be left to a professional if needed.

Good luck with your dog. I'm sure you will get additional suggestions and ideas from other on this site. And again, Welcome to the wonderful world of Pheasant Hunting! :thumbsup:

I forgot to ask. I'm assuming that with your handle of Mil_Vet that you are a military vet? Which service and how long were you in?

Thanks for you service from a Vietman vet.

I served 5 1/2 years in the ARMY. Went to both Iraq and Afghanistan. Thanks! Bye the way how close to Sioux Falls are you me and my girlfriend drive past there to Wyoming all the time.

Welcome to UPH, I hope you get all your answers here. I am not a flusher type dog man. I am a Pointing dog person. There are some good guys on here that run Flushers that I'm sure will help...........Bob

Welcome to the site. There is lots of advice in the training section and many brilliant people here when it comes to dog training. Thanks for your service.

@Mil_Vet: Get your hands on a a copy of Richard Wolter's classic book 'Gun Dog' (aimed specifically to help the common everyday hunter/not the pros train an all-around hunting lab for both waterfowl & upland) - and then follow it to the letter repetitiously just like the military training that you are already familiar with!...There will be a LOT of additional things you can learn from others along the way (both by book & video AND by pros & training-buddies/hunt-clubs & tests in person) if desired - but this book is awful hard to beat for the basic making of an outstanding hunting & house companion! :thumbsup:

I can personally attest to it's validity heartily, as I knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about dog-training going into it 25 yrs ago (& had no one in my family or friends with any experience or history of dog-training or bird hunting for that matter either). I just bought a Wolter's book and a puppy & did what it said religiously! I'm on my 4th lab now & ALL of them have turned out to be dreamboat combo-hunting dogs for both waterfowl marks and blinds & upland quarter and flush (and it's not because of me, I promise - if anything, it's in spite of me)!!! :D

The one potential problem I see is if you have waited until a year & a half old to start training your dog. If so, it will be a bit more difficult job, but it can still be done. For next time at least - the time to start training a dog is as soon after 7 wks old as he clearly recognizes his name - if you do that, you will have a hunting buddy for life who responds/obeys out of sheer joy & desire to please!

If you have not already instilled the basic SIT, STAY, COME training to mean anytime, anywhere - these are the absolute essentials off of which everything to come is based - then I would focus heavily on that to start with! Try to make the retrieving part fun (drag the dummy along the ground away from him teasingly/enticingly at first if you have to & once he picks it up, clap your hands while running backwards away from him if necessary to get him to bring it to you). Remember to ALWAYS quit the training on a good note while you're ahead & never keep pushing the dog past the counter-productive point of sulking & tail dragging (I learned this one the hard way)! Little building-block bites consistently 4-5 times a week and/or twice a day morning & evening are much better than long, grueling training sessions done inconsistently & sporadically.

If you are somewhat limited in funds for professional training like most of us & have to pick-&-choose, the one place I would suggest to wisely invest your money for about a month after you have established all the other basics well is "FORCE-FETCH" - worth it's weight in gold!!! This part is difficult for an amateur to do & painful for most to watch!

Other than that, it might be very helpful to join a local retriever club & find a couple self-motivated training buddies who have dogs such as yourself (as opposed to hunting buddies who rarely pan out to be very reliable at all for any help with the training). Make sure to train year-round even during the off-season, introduce your dog to birds & guns slowly, & keep him retrieving like a madman & in the birds once he gets going! Start all of this right NOW (don't procrastinate up until the season is about to start) & you and the pup will be having a very good time when next season rolls around, guaranteed!!! :cheers:

P.S. I'm jealous of you living in KS, although in KC you may be just about as far as I am in CO from the prime rooster-fields that lie directly about mid-way in between us! :)

Sorry for the late welcome but it's better late than never......SOOOOOO Welcome to the site and enjoy!!!! :thumbsup:

Back