black pheasant

I have seen pen raised ones but never a wild one? Maybe one got away.
If I remember right there a little bigger body size. I shot one at a game farm once thought it was a crow getting up.

a guy was hunting and black rooster got up he shot it and is know gonna get it mounted

Sweet there a cool looking bird. Post a pic.

Here is a picture of mine, he is a wily bugger, nothing like the other roosters I have. He escaped my pen during feeding about 3 months ago and I still see him and here him crow every now and then. The picture doesn't do him justice, he has over 28in tail feathers.

IMAG0129.jpg

someone told me 2 guys was hunting next county north of me (humboldt) and they scared one up both shot at it and both missed

I know a gal that raises ring necks and she gets them all the time. Hens as well. Several of them have been sold for release on private, and so called wild bird hunting opperations. It is likely it came from someplace like that or an offspring from one.

Never seen a truly wild Menanistic Mutant pheasant in the wild. For some reason their survival rate in the wild is lower than ring neck pen birds. There coloring may play a big part in their high death rate because they stand out more.

I'm curious if it the bird is truely wild :) --1pheas4

Here's a picture of the closet thing to the melanistic mutant pheasant that lives wild. I suppose my theory in my previous post doesn't hold water. This bird stands out just as much and does just fine in the wild.:confused:

Japanese Green pheasant. Found in Japan (native) and Hawaii (introduced)

http://www.avianweb.com/images/birds/pheasants/greenpheasant.jpg

There are some Japanese Greens in the wild in certain parts of South Dakota. I too believe that at one time it either came from a person who raises them or is an offspring of one. I know a few guys who have shot them this year. I've seen them but never had a chance to shoot one myself. They are extremely colorful in the sun, many shades of blues and greens.

Here's a picture of the closet thing to the melanistic mutant pheasant that lives wild. I suppose my theory in my previous post doesn't hold water. This bird stands out just as much and does just fine in the wild.:confused:

Japanese Green pheasant. Found in Japan (native) and Hawaii (introduced)

http://www.avianweb.com/images/birds/pheasants/greenpheasant.jpg

My theory is that they are much harder to brood for some reason. I hatched 10 this year and only one survived brooding, whereas I have almost 100% success on brooding regular ringnecks.

Another theory is that a hen pheasant may cull an odd chick that she sees as weak. My best broody hen chicken will cull pheasant chicks that she hatched with her own chicks, but will brood them if that's all she has.

There are some Japanese Greens in the wild in certain parts of South Dakota. I too believe that at one time it either came from a person who raises them or is an offspring of one. I know a few guys who have shot them this year. I've seen them but never had a chance to shoot one myself. They are extremely colorful in the sun, many shades of blues and greens.

mfd, can you get a picture of a japanese green pheasant one of the guys you know shot in SD? PM me if you can. Also what part of SD were they in? Thank you for the info:thumbsup: -1pheas4

My best broody hen chicken will cull pheasant chicks that she hatched with her own chicks, but will brood them if that's all she has.

That's a good theory quail hound and may have a lot to do with it. I'll tell ya, I'm thinking about how many Melanistics game farms release every year yet I've never come across a truely wild melanistic mutant in the gene pool. Black necks, mongolians, blue backs, manchurian, etc........but never a melanistic. Somethings holding them back.:confused: --1pheas4

Here's an interesting group we harvested on private land this year.

PA290121.jpg

Wow sarge that's one heck of a mix there!:thumbsup: From left to right you're looking at a ringneck, melanistic hen, melanistic ringneck cross, looks like another melanistic ringneck cross, and a Reeves! Do you know if the birds had holes through their nostrils? :confused: --1pheas4

Sarge, how well did that reeves fly and how long were his tail feathers? That is a truly rare and expensive bird to raise for release!

Last edited:
Back