black pheasant

No Russian olives around here, but then again no snow either. Our quail mostly are eating fresh grass and a few weed seeds right now. Our mountain quail migrate below snow level this time of year and we can shoot mountain and California quail in the same covey in the right areas this time of year.

Well sure, your quail and pheasants are living the good life there in CA. I would have to say our birds are pretty miserable now. We have had a lot of early snow but it is actually melting and they might get a week or two or who knows the rest of the winter without snow in my part of Idaho.

It's rough conditions here but we still have chukkar, huns, ruft grouse, sharp tailed grouse, forest grouse, quail and pheasants to go after. We had a good quail and pheasants hatch so I haven't been chasing chukkar. I have a hard enough time finding people to hunt pheasants with, finding someone to hunt chukkar is even more difficult.

Q.H, do you have a lot quail hunters in your area?

Our quail are definitely living the good life, but I can't say the same for our pheasants. There is a lot of quail hunters out for the first couple weeks of season, but by now only the die hards are still out. I took Tuesday off work to hit my favorite public land, moved 5 coveys of valley quail (well over 200 birds) and only bagged 4 quail. Next time I go I may take my 20ga instead of the 28, these birds were getting up well in front of the dog and moving very fast. I like chukar hunting also but my springer isn't the best suited dog for those devil birds.

I know what you mean. I have a few areas that offer superb quail hunting but many of the hunts I do,the quail take right off and fly across the river giving me only a covey rise to shoot. I keep thinking I should change from OU to auto with 5 shots but I know dropping multiple birds in the river is tricky for retrieving.

We have tons of valley quail but hard getting singles.

Back