Bird dog books for the off season

Lula's boss

Anybody have any good bird dog book recommendations for the off season? Last year I read Afield, The Fragrance of Grass and Zip Zap, all good picks. Right now, I am deviating from dogs a bit and reading The Far Away Horses by Buck Brannaman, good book with a lot wisdom that could be applied to dogs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

All three good books

Ben O Williams “Bird Dog”
Robert Wehle “Wing & Shot”
Everett M. Skehan “Fields of Glory”

There is a grouse book by William Tapply that is pretty good.

I am planning on getting some Ben O. Williams books myself.

Anybody have any good bird dog book recommendations for the off season? Last year I read Afield, The Fragrance of Grass and Zip Zap, all good picks. Right now, I am deviating from dogs a bit and reading The Far Away Horses by Buck Brannaman, good book with a lot wisdom that could be applied to dogs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Story books or training books?

These are the ones that I reread every few years.

Robert Wehle... Wing & Shot
Mike Gould.... The Labrador Shooting Dog
Bill Tarrant.... New Strategies from Today's Top Trainers
Janet Horn.... The New Complete Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Not bird dog books but I highly recomend "A Sand County Almanac" and "Round River" by Aldo Leopold for any hunter/ conservationist. Great books.

Not bird dog books but I highly recomend "A Sand County Almanac" and "Round River" by Aldo Leopold for any hunter/ conservationist. Great books.

Sand County Almanac is my favorite book of all time. I went to a workshop back in November to pick up curriculum to implement the book in my classroom. Check out LEP.org, Leopold Education Project.

I read A Hunter's Road a few years ago. Great book. I emailed the author at his website to thank him for the book, and he actually emailed me back. Seemed like a really nice guy. Last year I read a book by one his friends, Guy De La Valdene, whom Fergus talks about in a Hunter's Road.

Not a bird dog, but "Where the red fern grows" is a must for all.

Have to agree, or at least watch the movie. :) A quick story. My dad always considered himself a "tough guy"; grew up in southern Alabama, joined the Marine Crops right out of high school; worked at the paper mill for 30 years, and hunted everything imaginable. In my 45 years, I have only ever known him to shed a tear on three occasions, when his mom passed away, when his black and tan coon hound "Bud" died and when he took me to see "Where the Red Fern Grows".

If you can find them, Run, Rainey, Run and Alqonquin are fantastic dog stories, often packaged in one book entitled "Top Dogs." Known to bring a tear to my eye....

Back