Better Place

pheasantaddict

What's a better place to live for upland hunting and walleye fishing Aberdeen or Pierre? Any additional benefits about either town?

What's a better place to live for upland hunting and walleye fishing Aberdeen or Pierre? Any additional benefits about either town?

well im in the Pierre area. i dont fish much so I wouldnt be much of help...

however for hunting, id say Winner, or Gregory area are gonna be the best.

goose, ducks and pheasants would still be good in Pierre. If youre a die hard Geese and Ducks, Pierre would def be the place.. for Pheasants, Winner, Gregory would be your best bet.

Fishing... dont ask, i dont have expertise in that area.

I think either Aberdeen or Pierre would provide the hunting and fishing you are looking for. You would probably have to choose the location based more on which city you liked the best. Aberdeen is larger and a little more conveniently located. If you were serious about moving to one of these communities you would be best served to visit each and see which you like the best. Good luck!

PA, when I think of Aberdeen I think of pheasant hunting and when i think of Pierre I think of fishing. Missouri river near Pierre is home to some great walleye fishing not to mention Salmon and other on Oahe. Pierre is capital and has government headquarters.

But Aberdeen sits between two great fisheries. The Missouri River to the west and the glacial lakes area to the east. Plus plenty of pheasants, ducks, gesse and a few sharpies.

The state capital and much of the state government is in Pierre. But Aberdeen is larger and has two colleges in town. Certainly pluses and minuses for each.

we could have pros and cons about both cities. however i will say this. housing cost in Pierre is WAY expensive than a city like Sioux Falls. I have a house that has 5 bedrooms in Winner fro 450.00 a month and an apt in pierre for 2 bedroom for 650 a month.

Its a debate really. Aberdeen is a somewhat law enforcement city as well as college kids city. Pierre doesnt have a "COLLEGE" but they do have a college here. i dont know what kind. I wanna say Colorado tech.

I see tons of birds in Pierre, but mainly south.. is where i see the birds. River is accessible right here. Pierre is RIGHT along the river.

best thing to do is drive out here or fly to both cities.. and check it out.

But Aberdeen sits between two great fisheries. The Missouri River to the west and the glacial lakes area to the east. Plus plenty of pheasants, ducks, gesse and a few sharpies.

The state capital and much of the state government is in Pierre. But Aberdeen is larger and has two colleges in town. Certainly pluses and minuses for each.

DZ, I couldn't agree more. Was thinking of Waubay and Mobridge and the great town of Aberdeen in the middle. I like Aberdeen a lot and think it is the Pheasant Town of SD much more so than Mitchell or Sioux Falls.

I have heard of price hikes in Pierre due to Government demand and economy.

This has me thinking that I should convince my wife to move to Pierre or Aberdeen. We did look at moving to Chamberlain but there is not much there.

WHEW, without seeing any of you guys posts - from the looks of the initial thread-title, I thought for a minute someone really important or an outstanding dog had died! :p

WHEW, without seeing any of you guys posts - from the looks of the initial thread-title, I thought for a minute someone really important or an outstanding dog had died! :p

That was my thought also. For as long as you have been hanging out here you should no that every dog, no matter what breed, cross breed, color, sex, age, intact or not intact, missing all four legs, is an outstanding dog around here.

@moellermd--LOL, yeah & everybody is always singing "my dog is better than your dog" (at least in their mind)...But you should have said that every well-trained or hunting dog is outstanding - I have met up with several other uncontrollable jump up on you & muddy-paw your clothes or body-slam-you-in-the-chest mutts - and incessantly-yappy little heel-nippers that were definitely not anything even remotely approaching the word "outstanding" in my books! :D

pheasant counts

I have been reading the posts here and have been up there 3 times and I always hear about the aberdeen and mobridge area being so good, I have been watching the pheasant per mile counts lately and spoke with a pheasant biologist and historicly he says the Chaimberlain area (approx. from around Presho to Kimble) always has the highest counts per mile but they show more success hunter wise in Brown county, but not quite sure how they come up with those figures. but you don't hear a lot about the Chaimberlain area on these forums, I like that area acct. its closer to me and there is a ton of public land. Can any of you natives comment on this.
Thanks
Jimmy

but you don't hear a lot about the Chaimberlain area on these forums, I like that area acct. its closer to me and there is a ton of public land. Can any of you natives comment on this.
Thanks
Jimmy

I might be wrong on this but I will take a swing. The Mitchell to Chamberlain area is the pay-to-pheasant hunt capitol of the world. The type of clientele that hunts that way, probably one or two outing a year, does not frequent these types of forums. I hope I but that as gently as possible.

I know a vet in that area that has lived/practiced there for 30 years. He has a hard time finding private ground to hunt due to the pay to hunt pressure.

I might be wrong on this but I will take a swing. The Mitchell to Chamberlain area is the pay-to-pheasant hunt capitol of the world. The type of clientele that hunts that way, probably one or two outing a year, does not frequent these types of forums. I hope I but that as gently as possible.

I know a vet in that area that has lived/practiced there for 30 years. He has a hard time finding private ground to hunt due to the pay to hunt pressure.

^This^

Chamberlain area does have great pheasant numbers and that is pretty easy to see year to year on the surveys. So obvious in fact that its the first place I zeroed in on as newbie freelance SD pheasant hunter. Big mistake. No Walk-in Area hunting to speak of and the GPA's are hammered daily. Took two trips before I came to my senses and moved on.

Chamberlain is great place to hunt if you can afford the pay-to-play system or if you like to walk road ditches. Otherwise most freelancers should look elsewhere. Does have some great views along the Missouri Breaks.

As for Pierre vs. Aberdeen I look at it this way. If pheasant hunting is going to be your primary focus I would look at Aberdeen. Lot's of public land within an hours drive and pretty much all can be productive. Your still close to good fishing and/or waterfowling either east or west.

If your more of an all-around sportsmen Pierre may be the choice. Pretty good pheasant hunting close by. Waterfowl & walleyes right at your doorstep. The Ft. Pierre grasslands for prairie chickens & sharpies. I think some pretty good ice time panfishing on the grasslands too.

DB

Back