Best wild bird locations?

Jonjhawk

We have a interesting situation. My brother and my dad have decided that we want to do a hunting trip. We want to shoot upland birds and want them to be wild birds. We have a dog that we want to bring with us as we hope that he will be trained and ready for this season. Where are the best locations/lodges that would allow us to bring our dog and shoot wild (not pen raised) birds?

Try clicking on the "Hunting Directory" - this site. Lots to choose from and most will allow you to bring your own dog.

Good luck!

We have a interesting situation. My brother and my dad have decided that we want to do a hunting trip. We want to shoot upland birds and want them to be wild birds. We have a dog that we want to bring with us as we hope that he will be trained and ready for this season. Where are the best locations/lodges that would allow us to bring our dog and shoot wild (not pen raised) birds?
I have a nice place if you are looking for unguided.
http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20659

David 0311

Strongly suggest U-Guide -first class operation :cheers:

I have do fiscal relation to u-guide--:)

Where are you coming from and what state or states do you want to hunt?

JJH,

We have 4 spots open for the 2016 season. All are minimum 6 hunters though. If that is a problem you may want to contact Buffalo Butte, Antler Ridge or Gauge Outdoors.

Be careful with the term "Wild birds" because there are plenty of outfitters that call them wild birds as soon as they release the into the wild......:rolleyes:

We live in Kansas but are willing to hunt anywhere including ks. Just want somewhere where there are a lot of wild birds and a place to stay close by

Get copy of KS walk in atlas, go west of Salina, stay in a motel where you can back up to the door of your room. Talk dogs with other guys doing same.

Gets no better.

Get copy of KS walk in atlas, go west of Salina, stay in a motel where you can back up to the door of your room. Talk dogs with other guys doing same.

Gets no better.

+1

Get the walk-in map and start walking! Wildest birds around and your taxes already paid for access.:thumbsup:

JJH,

If that is a problem you may want to contact Buffalo Butte, Antler Ridge or Gauge Outdoors.

Be careful with the term "Wild birds" because there are plenty of outfitters that call them wild birds as soon as they release the into the wild......:rolleyes:

Interesting references to commercial outfitter operations. Some listed have been documented in the past (newspaper articles) as failing on the all wild bird issue ... and all appear to run on the high side of the $$$ game.

I'd say hit Nebraska up its closer then SD & less hunters then KS same birds to play with & a longer run more established focus on pheasant/quail program then KS I drove around both states lots this spring hands down Nebraska had more birds at least wear I was south central NE north central KS.

The fall KS wiha never really turned me on lots of b/s enrolled not doing much but making the farmer some extra $$$ Nebraska walk ins held some birds man quail & pheasant

Last edited:
When all is said and done, you're going to find more birds in SD than anywhere else. Western KS is good and you can shoot 4 birds per day as opposed to 3 in SD, but I go to SD every year and I live in KS too.

You can figure the "wild" bird issue fairly easily in SD. If the operator has a preserve license and a season extended at both ends, they are releasing birds. SD game laws require preserve license owners to release one bird for every bird taken. That being said, they don't dump them out in the morning and walk you over them in the afternoon. I know an operator and he makes one bird release just before the season opens, maybe makes another in the middle and makes up the difference with a release in the spring hoping to perhaps get some nesting success out of them. In any case, once the released birds have been dodging coyotes and bird dogs for a few weeks, you can't tell the released birds from the wild born.

Last edited:
Interesting references to commercial outfitter operations. Some listed have been documented in the past (newspaper articles) as failing on the all wild bird issue ... and all appear to run on the high side of the $$$ game.

I would agree. A couple of those I would be surprised if you were not hunting planted birds. 2400 for three days of hunting? Tell you what anyone on here want to sign up for that I will get you a shot at your limit on private ground for 2k flat. I will even throw in a steak dinner and a couple drinks

I have hunted SW North Dakota and have always done well. I started with a PLOTS map, internet scouted ones that have creek bottoms/large amounts of CRP. Internet searches have been hit/miss as the cover is never quite like you expect off of Google map scouting. I have hunted large tracts of land and have usually found birds far from the roads. Boots to the ground has never failed. Go where others don't want to walk.

I have done well in SW NoDak (From Missouri River, west, I-94 and South) occasionally get a bonus Sharptail/Hun. Once there land is posted with a phone number. Can make some great contacts. Now I have several 1000+ acre properties that are rarely hunted by others. For a budget trip, Motel like in Mott, Hettinger and go from there. You won't be disappointed.

I make the commitment and execute. Don't ponder.

Purist , great post/ Reply boot leather on the ground and get after it, shot a limit of birds here in Kansas on some public land late in the season . It was all about getting to those out of the way places /the ones that are to much work for most .

Like yours a vary satisfying hunt !!!

Back