Best week of pheasant hunting in every year.

oldandnew

I have determined the best week of pheasant hunting, is the week after opening weekend. Especially on public ground. All the ceremonial hunters are back to work, did little to the population, aren't under your shoes. usually mild, dogs are worn down a little, pheasants are grouping up from pressure. So Tuesday, is sublime, usually Sunday afternoon is good enough, especially if there was rain! Other favorite days include the first inch snow, confuses the pheasants for a day or so, but not longer. The Christmas break, after the week of Christmas, for two to three weeks, very little hunting. My favorite time!

I used to think the opening two weekends were the best. Over the years I think I far prefer december hunting. Especially after a few snows have finished off all but the deep cover. About 10 or 15 degrees, light wind, and 3 or 4 inches of snow. That is my favorite. I still like the excitement of an early hunt, but if I had to chose one, it would be mid december.

My favorite time has always been mid - November - assuming the crops are out. Cool enough for the dogs and hunter. And December, with a little snow, can't be beat. For years I hunted Thanksgiving weekend - Friday to Monday, but it was always difficult to round-up hunters.

Regarding early hunting: I do not enjoy cornfield hunting!!

My best week is the week I can get out! I will take anything just being out chasing those ringnecks is what I enjoy. Sometimes to early in the season and it is to hot. I have lately really enjoyed late season hunts, but this year at -33 I actually said no to hunting that day! I love every week of pheasant season.

Give me early December. The crops are out, the birds are congregated, there aren't many folks still hunting.

I used to think the opening two weekends were the best. Over the years I think I far prefer december hunting. Especially after a few snows have finished off all but the deep cover. About 10 or 15 degrees, light wind, and 3 or 4 inches of snow. That is my favorite. I still like the excitement of an early hunt, but if I had to chose one, it would be mid december.

I agree, assuming there isn't crusted snow, then I find myself wishing it was mid-Oct. Mid November can be outstanding, everyone is hunting big game and the temp is usually good. Any week pheasant hunting is a bonus! :cheers:

I like the first week of Jan. Almost always some snow, birds are smart and tough and the dogs have had all season to reach their peak.

I always take thanksgiving week off which happens to be the second week of season for us. My thanksgiving tradition is hunting and eating at a diner somewhere. My brother (my hunting partner) will have a baby by next turkey day so I imagine my new tradition will be just me and the dogs somewhere chasing birds. My favorite week of pheasant season.

I agree with the late hunt, ten of us hunted SDak late season, a mix of public and private. Saw a few other hunters at the hotel but none in the field, lots of birds, plenty of shooting (only one bird short of a 5 day limit). actually saw more birds than an earlier October private land hunt. I suspect the crops being harvested pushed the birds into the remaining cover. What surprised me the most (and I grew up in SDak). was how tight the birds held a couple of the days, great for my young setter. I was hoping to bag a sharptail or two, I saw 6-8 but they were REALLY wild..no chance.

I scheduled a bunch of vacation for next Fall and Winter. I will get to the bottom of this issue, and report back next season. :laugh:

But I am a December type of hunter for sure. I would rather add a layer to stay warm while hunting than strip down to my tee shirt and still be sweating. Honestly, hunting just doesn't feel right until it gets cold.
:cheers:

I scheduled a bunch of vacation for next Fall and Winter. I will get to the bottom of this issue, and report back next season. :laugh:

But I am a December type of hunter for sure. I would rather add a layer to stay warm while hunting than strip down to my tee shirt and still be sweating. Honestly, hunting just doesn't feel right until it gets cold.

lol....rough life Toad:D Luck dog.

I'm with you with the December thing. Especially when there's snow:thumbsup:

Nick

I hardly ever do week unless it's a combination deer, elk, bird hunt.
Would rather take a couple extra trips of 3-5 days, hit it hard go home, rest up for the next time. :)
I don't know if I have missed an opener? I like the opener, lots of hunters for sure, still there are places to get away from the crowds.
Then towards the end of Oct, weather is still pretty good hunter # way down. I still will avoid going on weekends.
Late hunts are great! BIG colorful roosters and you have things mostly to yourself.
I've been out in a few blizzards and below zero stuff, I'm going to avoid that if possible. Some fluff is nice, wading through snow, don't need to do that either.

So it's mid January and I had to strip down to my T-shirt while hunting today...:eek:

So it's mid January and I had to strip down to my T-shirt while hunting today...:eek:

:laugh: :laugh: I know, right?! I'm going this morning for a couple hours. Hopefully it won't heat up too fast! I figure the dogs are going to be a muddy mess either way, might as well let them run a bit!:thumbsup:

Back