Best hunting pup for pheasants

It’s a forum to get people talking about hunting/ dogs/ guns ect ect, don’t post if u feel the need
All the best,
Lointer
Look dude, your a newbie here. Don't be telling us veterans how and when to post.

The best dogs come from the best trainers. For some people, breed will never matter because they lack the ability to train correctly. Some people can ruin any dog regardless of breed. And some of us can take a Pug and it will outhunt most dogs in the field. Choose a quality breeder and follow a proven training program.

Oh, that wasn't an insult. It's just not a bird dog. Might be a hunting dog, or a gun dog. But not a bird dog.
Merriam Webster - bird dog -a gun dog trained to hunt or retrieve birds
Dictionary.com - bird dog - one of any of various breeds of dogs trained to hunt or retrieve birds
Vocabulary.com - bird dog - a gun dog trained to locate or retrieve birds

It's a dog, usually owned by a bit of a fop, who freezes in quivering fear at the scent of a bird, then watches in horror and amazement as the master who feeds and shelters it walks in front of its cone of terror and kicks at brush and grass clumps until a bird lifts from the ground, then shoots twice at it and sometimes kills it. These bird dogs will then sometimes run to a bird and begin to mangle and chew at it, again, obviously out of fear. Their fop owners will call this, hilariously, a "good retrieve", as they smooth out whatever is left of the clump of feathers they have just pried from their dogs jaws. Other times these "bird dogs" will watch, again I assume, in terror, as their owners walk around trying, often in vain, to find the birds they just "harvested". The fop will often say ridiculous things about their dogs ridiculous behavior like "slammed on point" or "staunch" or bloviate about "good dog work" or - and I'm not exaggerating here - "style". Generally the cowardly animal will have between 3 and six collars on it, often with antennae and other such digital over compensatory phallic substitutes. These "bid dogs" generally be ugly, often there is an attempt by breeders to disguise the dogs' ugliness by covering it in excess hair, though occasionally these disgusting creatures are displayed nearly bald.

This is opposed to a gun dog, or a duck dawg, or, highest praise of all canine epithets...a "hunting dog".

It's a dog, usually owned by a bit of a fop, who freezes in quivering fear at the scent of a bird, then watches in horror and amazement as the master who feeds and shelters it walks in front of its cone of terror and kicks at brush and grass clumps until a bird lifts from the ground, then shoots twice at it and sometimes kills it. These bird dogs will then sometimes run to a bird and begin to mangle and chew at it, again, obviously out of fear. Their fop owners will call this, hilariously, a "good retrieve", as they smooth out whatever is left of the clump of feathers they have just pried from their dogs jaws. Other times these "bird dogs" will watch, again I assume, in terror, as their owners walk around trying, often in vain, to find the birds they just "harvested". The fop will often say ridiculous things about their dogs ridiculous behavior like "slammed on point" or "staunch" or bloviate about "good dog work" or - and I'm not exaggerating here - "style". Generally the cowardly animal will have between 3 and six collars on it, often with antennae and other such digital over compensatory phallic substitutes. These "bid dogs" generally be ugly, often there is an attempt by breeders to disguise the dogs' ugliness by covering it in excess hair, though occasionally these disgusting creatures are displayed nearly bald.

This is opposed to a gun dog, or a duck dawg, or, highest praise of all canine epithets...a "hunting dog".
That was absolutely hysterical, but you did paint a very real picture in my mind’s eye. Thank you for the much needed mid day comedy relief!

Great stuff!!! Thanks for the laugh

Sounds like Spaulding Hoffhacker's nemesis. If you've ever subscribed to PDJ if it's still around I'm sure you are familiar with my reference.

Make it a Brittany for me , I've had them for 20 yrs! Best total package going.

Attachments

• 20210113_095913.jpg
    20210113_095913.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
I had Britt's and Lab's for 30 plus now and I love them both for hunting Roosters for different reasons. I think they complement each other.
this pic was 2009 opener in W KS. My momma dog Ellie on the left and her two boys Rufus and Jack.

Attachments

• 2009 opener with the Britts.JPG
    2009 opener with the Britts.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 16
  • ryanwesternks2007.jpg
    ryanwesternks2007.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 15
If I was going to be honest with myself, I'd say a lab.

I won't be honest though, and say shorthairs are the only way to fly....

Reactions: Jet
Oh man, I made a comment like that once on a 'bird dog' page on facebook, asking what world people were living in to be calling a lab a bird dog.

You'd have thought I had said the Virgin Mary was a hooker...
All depends upon expectations, having said that it's an interesting discussion as long as its not taken too seriously.

Reactions: Jet
Back