Best boot for under $120

duckn66

Looking for a nice pair of hunting boots that are around 400 gram and waterproof. Buying a pair really for bird hunting but will use them this fall on an elk hunt. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are for a pair under $120. I saw that Bass pro has Rocky Lynx 8 inch 400 gram thinsulate boots on clearance. Anyone worn any of these?

I've got a couple hundred miles out of my red head uplanders, nice boots for the money. They are gortex lined and I'm sure the make them with thinsulate. I've never owned a boot that was actually "water proof" even the gortex lined boots have always left my feet damp on wet mornings.

No insulated models, thankfully imo, as far as I know but the Wolverine Dogwood is a good boot for that price or less at some outlets.
I bought one pair and bought another as a trade-off after only one hunting trip.
Kansas to the U.P. to Pennsylvania worked fine....elk?, I might hedge a bit re support.

Looking for a nice pair of hunting boots that are around 400 gram and waterproof. Buying a pair really for bird hunting but will use them this fall on an elk hunt. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are for a pair under $120. I saw that Bass pro has Rocky Lynx 8 inch 400 gram thinsulate boots on clearance. Anyone worn any of these?

One boot for both upland and elk is somewhat difficult to find since you really have two different needs. Most upland boots don't have good enough tread and traction for elk hunting, especially in the snow. Most good mountain boots have too much tread and are too stiff to make good upland boots. One boot that comes to mind that would maybe do both jobs is the Danner Pronghorn. They are generally more than $120 but if you search the web you can sometimes find them on sale. Cabelas currently have the "Classic" Pronghorn on sale for $139.99.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...er+pronghorn&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I have to agree with Dakota Zeb in regards to two different needs. I think Danner will do just fine.

Speaking of boots and sweaty damp feet, what do you guys do to combat this? I've used liner socks with fairly good results and I've also used antipersperant, roll on or spray and that seems to help as well.

Speaking of boots and sweaty damp feet, what do you guys do to combat this? I've used liner socks with fairly good results and I've also used antipersperant, roll on or spray and that seems to help as well.

First, don't ever wear cotton socks. I always use a liner sock made of silk, thermax or some other material with moisture wicking properties. Over the liner sock I wear a pair of wool socks. The weight of the wool socks will depend mainly on how much room I have in my boots, but also the outside temp. The past few years I've been using merino wool socks and like them a lot.

Everyone's feet perspires at a different rate. A good Merino wool and poly blend socks work well for me. It may be also that when feet are wet that it's from heavy perspiration and not from failure of the Gortex lining.

Duck66- few years ago Cabelas had Rocky Lynx Gore Tex non insulated boots on sale for $69.00- bought a pair-

tread pattern is interesting- they are light weight-

I wear them for pheasant hunting
they were also quite nice for a 5 day horseback elk hunt

if you got the Rocky or something like it- sure wouldn't hurt to have a different sort of more stout boot along on that elk hunt-

A good Merino wool and poly blend socks work well for me. It may be also that when feet are wet that it's from heavy perspiration and not from failure of the Gortex lining.

well said-
walking like in pheasant hunting, I prefer light weight non insulated
sitting in the cold, like a deer stand, insulated
I've been sold on Goretex since they came out

I have a set of rocky pro hunters with 400g in them, i wore them a bit big game hunting and also alot of upland as well, they havent leaked yet but the stiching is starting to come loose in a few places and i had to have the toe caps glued back in place. I think the lynx replaced these now and they look good but i wouldnt exspect years and years of durabillity out of any Rocky boot, you get what you pay for, that being said i would still buy a pair of Lynx for light upland and big game work,just have to buy a pair every 2 years or so. I use my pro hunters as work/ everyday boots now till they are shot and the light weight is nice, i save my kenetreks for when i really need them

Shadow and Eeek. Thanks for the info. I was just planning on wearing them once for elk hunting as this is probably the only time I may ever get to go. I don't upland hunt very much (mostly a waterfowl hunter) but I do get out every now and then and would like to go more than I do. I'm going to check out the Rocky's I believe.

Thanks again for all the replies and info. This is a very friendly site and also a wealth of information!

Still say the best boots on the market are Danners. Finally got my hubby in a pair and he loves them. We've been able to find some awesome boots in the clearance sections at Scheels. They might be a season style old but they are great! Would recommend them to everyone!

I wear Irish Setter Wingshooters with DDS and the King Toe and love them, have 3 hard seasons on this pair and they are finally about ready to become a backup pair, can't wait to get another pair or two this season, great lighweight boot and extremely waterproof and warm for being un-insulated.

One boot for both upland and elk is somewhat difficult to find since you really have two different needs. Most upland boots don't have good enough tread and traction for elk hunting, especially in the snow. Most good mountain boots have too much tread and are too stiff to make good upland boots. One boot that comes to mind that would maybe do both jobs is the Danner Pronghorn. They are generally more than $120 but if you search the web you can sometimes find them on sale. Cabelas currently have the "Classic" Pronghorn on sale for $139.99.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...er+pronghorn&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I'll second that. I bought a pair of pronghorn classics a few months ago, uninsulated, gortex lined. Nice boots. Probably the most comfortable boot I have ever worn (including the 25 years in the army). They are water-proof, but I need to change socks around noon when bird hunting. The gortex holds some moisture in.

Back