Beretta vs benelli light weight shotguns

jimmy j

Would like to hear from hunters who have hunted with either a automatic beretta or benelli light weight 12 gauge shotgun. Example being a beretta explor400 and a benelli ulta light. Have hunted with a beretta 390 for years but as get older need one a little lighter. Give all your pluses and minuses and thanks in advance.

Not an ultra light but have been using a Benelli Montefeltro for quite a few years and cant say enough good about it. Had a 20 ga I used for a while also and neither gun has ever missed a beat. Would highly recommend checking one out.

I hunt with Explor400 ultralight 12ga.-- if I remember there is 1oz. difference in weight compared to Benelli, I had safety switched to left hand shooting. No problems at all with gun VERY nice to carry during week long hunts in SD. !!!! Both are VERY nice guns !!!

I have no experience with either gun but my brother has a Benelli Ultra Light 12 gauge and it's never given him any problems. The only thing I've ever heard him criticize about the gun is the recoil. He's never been gun/recoil shy when it comes to shooting but the last couple of years I've heard him talking about getting a new gun that's a little more enjoyable to shoot.

My wife bought me a Benelli Ethos for x-mas, it's like a Monte on steroids, lighter and the recoil reducing system is awesome..

david0311

Would like to hear from hunters who have hunted with either a automatic beretta or benelli light weight 12 gauge shotgun. Example being a beretta explor400 and a benelli ulta light. Have hunted with a beretta 390 for years but as get older need one a little lighter. Give all your pluses and minuses and thanks in advance.

Had a M-2 before getting a heck of a deal on a Ultra-lite some year back--have used for thousands of rounds training and shooting for field trials (usually cheap dirty ammo-think estate type) also use for hunting on occasion--not one sigal problem--love the gun--almost embarrassed to admit how long it goes between cleanings when training--

Great gun in my opinion--but not if you plan on shooting hi-velocity 3''--JMO:cheers:

I had a Beretta Explor400 lightweight until I picked up a Benelli Ultralite. After that the Beretta felt like a 2x4 to me. Sold the Beretta and bought the Benelli, could not be happier. Try both and buy the one that is right for you. They are both are good guns.

The only thing I've ever heard him criticize about the gun is the recoil. He's never been gun/recoil shy when it comes to shooting but the last couple of years I've heard him talking about getting a new gun that's a little more enjoyable to shoot.

6 lb gun plus heavy field loads = sore shoulder and or face....;)

Both Beretta and Benelli make high quality shotguns. Buy the one that fits the best and looks the best to your eye, go huntin', and be happy. :)

Not an ultra light but have been using a Benelli Montefeltro for quite a few years and cant say enough good about it. Had a 20 ga I used for a while also and neither gun has ever missed a beat. Would highly recommend checking one out.

This is exactly how I feel.

I have used my Monte on a couple snow goose hunts, 3 boxs of 3" magnums a day and no discomfort. The recoil absorbing is incredible

Benellis

I haven't shot the Bennelli Ulta Light but have other Benelli models. My first Benelli was the M1 and I have shot it successfully for several years with no issues. I then picked up a SBE2 and was happy with the reduced felt recoil over my original M1. Recently I picked up a Vinci and I must say it goes a step farther in reduced recoil. There is a noticeable reduction over the SBE2 and I had a couple of friends shoot the same loads through both and they also stated that the recoil is notable less in the Vinci. It also has less lift as the recoil is straight rearward. The SBE2 and the M1 both have the springs in the stock so they create some natural rise because of the action. The Vinci is also pretty light. I think it is going to be my go to gun.

Thanks for all the replies. I like to get information on things from people who are or have used what iam trying to find out about. Probably will try, like several said, several light weight 12 gauges and see which one suits me best. again thanks!! Jim

My brother has a Benelli Ethos which he allowed me to hunt with this year. Great gun; very light weight (I think 6.6 or so), very low recoil and pulls up nicely. Oh, and did I mention it looks great too? Fantastic gun and would highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the replies. I like to get information on things from people who are or have used what iam trying to find out about. Probably will try, like several said, several light weight 12 gauges and see which one suits me best. again thanks!! Jim

Jimmy, keep in mind, while it's always nice to get other opinions on guns your interested in buying. Outside the mechanical dependability, fit and feel are a very personal attribute, something only you will be able to determine once you handle one.

We'll expect a full review though if you get one. :thumbsup:

Back