Benelli 20 Gauge Questions

OK if I get this chicken stick it will be this weekend so I can try it out on doves. Any suggestions on loads. 2 3/4 #7's do it or does a person need 3"

Chicken Stick. That's pretty funny. Personally, every time I've taken a 20 on a hunt I'd wished I'd taken a 12. I have a Montefeltro 12 and I think it's the bee's knees. I don't do any dove hunting though, so our needs are different. I agree with the others here that the 20 BUL is light and seems whippy but it all depends on what you want and what you get used to. Have a great time out there and let us know what you decided on and how successful you are on the birds.

Smoked a dove with the first shot. After that it was not a good shell to dove ratio:). I like the gun though in size, feel, recoil.

The sight plane is low profile so different from SBE. I can see the top of receiver plane with both guns but the high rib on SBE appears to taper down to the barrel which is weird.

wondering on the low profile how you tell if the gun is coming up or sighting correctly. From the stock to end of receiver everything appears to be similar on both guns. I am planning to patter it at 20 yards and see if I can tell where center is. i also used IC choke with 2 3/4 7.5 shot. Will try modified tonight.

Any advice tips tricks tactics is appreciated.

You might try patterning at 30 and 40 yds. And a skeet choke might be helpful, along with #8 shot. I use 8's and 7.5 shot on sporting clay's, with improved cyl., with my 20 ga.. Long shots on doves could be a real challenge!

When shooting my old Browning Hump-back, the sight plane is the top of the hump, to the end of the gun; if not lined up, your shot will be over or under the bird.

Just some musings for you to consider...

Last edited:
Smoked a dove with the first shot. After that it was not a good shell to dove ratio:). I like the gun though in size, feel, recoil.

The sight plane is low profile so different from SBE. I can see the top of receiver plane with both guns but the high rib on SBE appears to taper down to the barrel which is weird.

wondering on the low profile how you tell if the gun is coming up or sighting correctly. From the stock to end of receiver everything appears to be similar on both guns. I am planning to patter it at 20 yards and see if I can tell where center is. i also used IC choke with 2 3/4 7.5 shot. Will try modified tonight.

Any advice tips tricks tactics is appreciated.
What gun did you end up buying?

Assuming you like the way your SBE shoots and have bought the Benelli 20, you can adjust the stock drop/cast on the 20 to essentially match your SBE. Then shoot it and the SBE with the full choke at 20 yards and see if the POIs are matched. Adjust as necessary.

Thanks Chestle and JonnyB. Both good tips. I went out dove hunting tonight and sat by these huge dead cottonwoods. I patterned the gun at 20 yards. Seems to be shooting right.

I like idea of matching shims. Will look into that tomorrow.

Tonight was interesting. At first I could not hit anything, then could not find anything I hit, and then I could not miss.

Put a limit of 15 in the bag with the new 20. Its like I finally forgot about aiming and started shooting. Some of the birds were getting powdered which is not typically for dove so I think the IC choke is the one.

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/photos/self-guided-south-dakota-dove-hunting/
self-guided-south-dakota-dove-hunting

Last edited:
Good shooting...15 in the bag, guess you've got the hang of it! What shell did you use? As the season progresses, and more clothing becomes necessary, you'll notice mounting becomes more challenging. You might try mounting the new gun with a coat on to test the fit...

Sounds like a great day at the dove field!

As for shims, using the same ones is a great start and may be spot on. I would do an actual measurement after I matched the set-up though. The gun geometry and dimensions might make a bit of difference between the SBE and the Monti and the same shim might not give equal results.

I've got a Benelli M2 in 20a that I set up to match my SKB Sporting Clays O/Us (12 & 20). It's been working out pretty well. The Benelli does swing very quickly in comparison. I find I just really need a good cheek weld and then that's not really a problem. Don't get my head down...big problem. ;)

Guys, got another limit tonight. Went back to IC choke and that worked good. Using 2 3/4 #7.5. Case of 10 was $54 so $5.40 a box.

Love the gun as an early season option. Just so light and comfortable. Can't wait to put some prairie storm 3" in it when pheasant season rolls out.

Looks like it is shimmed the same as SBE out of the box. Thumb is sore from loading shells:)

3" shells and a light-weight gun - you'll notice a good kick from this combination. I tried 3" shells in my Browning Gold and stopped using them; my gun is about 7.5lbs. I find I do OK with 2 3/4"...

Shoot 2 3/4 out of my skb and have no problem killing birds, try some B&P heavy pheaz in 20 ga. 1oz 6 shot, 1350fps, and nickel plated,$85.00 a case. kills them just fine.

Another limit of doves tonight. The shell to bird ratio is really going down. The sight plane is not an issue anymore. Love the gun! Can't wait to try on Phez. Will shoot a 3" prairie storm #5 with IC choke.

You've mentioned using Prairie Storm a couple times now. I'm assuming you're talking about the lead version? If so, have you used the steel version at all?

Yes lead and I have not used the steel version. Tried black cloud on ducks and was not impressed.

In steel I kinda like the Kent Fasteel.

Chris--

Believe someone else methoned B&P's---great shell-they or Fiochi my go too 20 ga. and 12 as well jmo

Back