Being shot

Bob Peters

It's always something I've thought about, but thankfully we know this is extremely rare. If you have a story about it you'd like to share please do. The only story I have direct knowledge of goes thus:

A youth pheasant hunt was put together, where a young hunter would show up with parent, uncle, guardian, etc. There was a pre hunt safety meeting and then the participants took the field, in this case a chunk of land that was not open to public hunting otherwise. The 2 people I know personally were volunteers and were walking next to each other. They were both wearing hunter orange. Near the end of the field a father/son pivoted as was normal to turn around and make another pass. Just then a rooster got up, and guns were pointed. Volunteer #1 saw the bird, saw the muzzles swinging directly at his position, and instantly hit the deck. Volunteer #2 saw #1 get low and was in a kneeling position when the shot(s) were fired. The rooster died... and volunteer #2 was hit with a large amount of hot steel. Face, neck, chest, etc. blood everywhere. One pellet hit right below the eye, glasses were worn. The good part of the story is that a full recovery happened, and the person still shoots and hunts, albeit not in large groups. There was an ambulance ride to the hospital, of course x-rays, etc. The event was a PF youth hunt, but they refused to pay a dime for any of the medical bills. I know this is a difficult subject, and gun issues are a huge point of debate in this country right now. I feel safe with everyone I hunt with, because if I didn't, I wouldn't hunt with them. I just wanted to post this, because I feel like we can all learn from others' experiences.

My cousin ended up getting shot in the back while duck hunting a public pond a few years back. Apparently some guy came in after him and set up to hunt behind him about 10 yards. My cousin didn't even know he was there. First group of ducks coming in, my cousin stood up to shoot and took one in the back. The guy apparently never saw him. Cops were called and ambulance came but all ended ok. He still has a couple pellets in his shoulder today.

Used to happen more than I'd like to admit when we used to do the big push hunts. Blockers were always getting hit no matter how much you preached to the newbies and some oldies too unfortunately. Big reason I don't hunt like that anymore.

Best line I ever heard in that situation was after a blocker had been hit he just asked "who got that bird?" Instead of who shot him. The guy quickly chirped up he had got it, then the ass ripping started😄. Had the blocker thrown a fit from the start no one would of admitted to it.

Gotta see that sky under em in those groups fellas

Last edited:
Hunting can be dangerous, more so when with the inexperienced (youth or adults). The "blue sky rule" is a good rule to have when hunting with a group and maybe not a bad idea when it is just you and a dog.

Group hunting is dangerous. Period. There’s a myriad of motives that govern what’s going on in a hunter’s mind, even a 50, 60, 70 year old. Some guys are competitive, some are insecure about their ability, etc…split second decisions are required, many times the wrong decisions are made. Seen it many times! I’ve made some poor decisions, luckily never shot anyone…probably shot at 5,000+ birds in the past 29 years, a few of those I’d like to take back! Not worth it, obviously.

A co-worker of mine got shot with a 30-06 in Wisconsin while deer hunting about 10 years ago. Some bonehead was shooting up a hill at a deer and they were behind it. It hit him in the shoulder. He made a full recovery and he still deer hunts. He pressed charges against the individual for negligence and won in civil court.

Recklessness with a firearm isn't something I tolerate. Neither is large group hunting, which is why I rarely hunt with anyone else other than one other person who is a trusted family member or friend.

Our former Vice President shot someone while quail hunting. Its not a good look.

This is a tough one for me to share but it has completely changed how I hunt and has stuck with me to this day so it definitely had a positive affect in the end.

My first year pheasant hunting, first pheasant hunt actually, I got to go with my dad and grandpa out to dodge city area for a family hunt. I had a little .410 pump that I used around home for quail but dad thought I needed a 12ga. So I got the "joy" of using great grandpa's Winchester 1897. Anyway first field comes along and everything went fine, several fields in fact. After walking one of the fields we were all walking back down the road to the truck and I started racking rounds out to unload, thinking I had them all out I went to let the hammer down. I need to point out a couple things, I learned to shoot on a hammer gun, but this thing has a hair trigger and the hammer is really small, slippery, and sharp. So when I went to let the hammer down it slipped right off my thumb, and the gun went off. Fortunately the gun was pointed safely in the dirt but it hit just a few feet from a guy walking next to me. Talk about a $&@# your pants moment. In the end nobody was hurt, I choose to not hunt the rest of the day (that's a scary deal for anyone, especially a teenager) and I still to this day don't like that gun lol! It has definitely stuck with me since then though, I'm extra cautious with any hammer gun now and I find my self unconsciously checking my safety all the time in the field now, in fact my double I carry I carry it with my thumb on the safety pulled back most the time lol! This year is my son's first year, in fact he's gonna go on that same hunt I did so many years ago and I'm pretty nervous about it. I probably won't even carry a gun this hunt, but it's worth it to build good safety practices from day 1.

Sorry for the long winded post.

That's one reason I'm not a big fan of guns with a hammer on them. Especially for youth hunters. My first deer rifle was my dad's old .35 Remington. I hated that gun as a kid because of the hammer. I never had any mishaps with it but it certainly freaked me out as a young kid knowing if I let the hammer down too hard it could go off.

That's one reason I'm not a big fan of guns with a hammer on them. Especially for youth hunters. My first deer rifle was my dad's old .35 Remington. I hated that gun as a kid because of the hammer. I never had any mishaps with it but it certainly freaked me out as a young kid knowing if I let the hammer down too hard it could go off.
Yeah we all learned on a savage .410/.22. I love the history and nostalgia of it (everyone in my family learned in that thing) but in hindsight it wasn't a good one to start on. My son has a pump now, I still have the original and he shot his first bird with it but it was under extremely close supervision....

Yeah we all learned on a savage .410/.22. I love the history and nostalgia of it (everyone in my family learned in that thing) but in hindsight it wasn't a good one to start on. My son has a pump now, I still have the original and he shot his first bird with it but it was under extremely close supervision....
Side note. I have the same .35 Remington. It was my dad's first deer rifle and mine as well. It actually got stolen out of our house after it was hit by the Joplin tornado, but I have a replacement now. Stupid thieves!

I got shot in the hand several years ago by someone who was unsafe. It was probably 60 yards out but that #4 still hurt like hell. Worst part was the guy acted like it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t even apologize. He was a banger and never saw a bird he wouldn’t unload his gun on. I won’t hunt with him again. I taught my sons early that no bird was worth shooting someone for. They are all very safe.

Avoid unsafe hunters, life is too short already. I taught hunters safety class for many years and have numerous stories to share, some fatal.

My dad and grandpa were scouting and saw a lot of birds lifting up out of a deep waterway draw beside the road near a farmers house. They had to beg for permission to hunt from the farmer as he usually didn't give access but he agreed this time. They walked back to the draw and started slowly moving through the thick cover. They were wild flushing a lot of birds so not getting any shots. They came to a bend and some held tight. A rooster jumped up to the right of my dad and he swung on it. At the same instant that the bird crested the draw and he saw sky under it, he fired and a head and upper body popped into view. The bird and the body both slumped out of sight. He was certain at that moment he had killed someone.

Turns out another couple hunters had seen the wild flushing and asked the farmer for access who gave it to them as he felt bad about giving it to one group but not another. They had high-tailed it up the field to where they were seeing birds coming out of the draw and rushed up to the edge of the draw. They had no view of anyone in the bottom of the draw. The hunter who was hit had flinched at the last moment and got his head turned but he was raked with shot to his shoulder, neck, cheek and forehead but with a neat little circle around his eye. Nothing more serious than the pain of getting them picked out of his skin and some scars. They later admitted they knew better than to go into an area that had other hunters in it but they were too excited by the all birds they saw to pass it up.

It's not just group hunting where this happens and you don't always have a choice about what other hunters are around.

Group hunting is dangerous. Period. There’s a myriad of motives that govern what’s going on in a hunter’s mind, even a 50, 60, 70 year old. Some guys are competitive, some are insecure about their ability, etc…split second decisions are required, many times the wrong decisions are made. Seen it many times! I’ve made some poor decisions, luckily never shot anyone…probably shot at 5,000+ birds in the past 29 years, a few of those I’d like to take back! Not worth it, obviously.

I have been shot by my cousin. If he wasn't so good at talking to farmers,I would not hunt with him. My dad was very adamant about safety, and if we did something unsafe, there was hell to pay.So I learned gun safety at 10 years old. Another member mentioned taking unsafe shots. Most hunters have done it.I always tell people, don't shoot low through the brush, know where the other guy is, don't ever shoot near a dog!!

Back in the early 90's my dad got shot twice by the same guy! First time, my dad had dropped us off and driven around to pick us up. He was literally standing between his station wagon and his dog trailer. Second time he was standing next to the farmer's truck blocking. The guy peppered my dad and the truck. He had a pellet in his eyebrow for several years until he went in for surgery and had the doctor take it out while he was under. Turns out the guy was a drunk. We had no idea until a couple of years later.

A bit long and not directly related to upland hunting. (Turkey hunting)
Date 4/16/2019 - time 6:30am - current weather, warm and sunny- Location Chewelah, Wa.

My partner and I were standing on a logging road about 6:30 am in the morning. We had been hunting and eventually walked up a logging road to a pond looking for two more turkeys to complete our tags. When we drove in earlier that morning we noted we were the only persons in the immediate area. We were standing in the middle of the road as my partner was removing some of his gear. As my partner bent to retrieve his vest a loud shot went off a short distance down the road from us. We both sustained impacts and immediately dropped to the ground. Both my partner and I began yelling that we had been hit and to stop firing. Several seconds later a hunter finally spoke up saying he was sorry. The hunter indicated that he had thought he’d seen orange. My partner immediately yelled why would he shoot at Orange as Tom turkeys head are blue and red?

I got back up from the ground and started wiping blood from my face, throat, and arms. My partner sustained 2 impacts to neck and wrist, and I received about a dozen either through and through impacts, impacts that hit and did not penetrate and 3 penetrations (2 in the face, throat, and 1 in the wrist).

The father and his two sons 16 years and younger approached us and profusely apologized for the mistake they had made. He indicated that they were coming up the road and had seen movement as they rounded a brush pile up the road. He indicated he had seen orange, and had instructed his oldest son to step forward and take the shot. The son saw movement and shot hitting us. My hunting partner again noted that you don’t shoot at Orange and that Tom turkey heads are red and blue. We were both wearing camouflage for turkey hunting. My partners jacket and hat had Browning buckmark logos on the sleeve and hat brim. These logos are blaze orange and appear to be what the father had seen prior to his son shooting.

I requested the father and sons identification so that we could file a report. The father at that time offered to head down to his vehicle and drive up to pick us up to take us to the hospital. After completing information exchange and assuring that while in some pain from the gunshot I thought I was ok to begin walking. They took off directly downhill and we followed the logging road 1 mile back to the vehicles. We found out when we reached the bottom that the gate was still locked which is why they were unable to drive up to get us.

by the time we arrived at our vehicle there were several sheriffs, state patrol, local wildlife officer, EMTs, and fire department arriving. The land owner at the bottom of the road (friend of the father and sons) had contacted them as soon as the father told him of the incident. The EMTs checked us out, bandaged some of the fresh wounds, and we refused transport. After completing initial reports they released us to go to the nearest hospital in Chewelah, Wa.

I was shot at a distance of 43 yards with a 3 1/2 inch round 2 ounce load of number #5 turkey loads. My partner sustained 2 impacts and I received about a dozen either through and through impacts, impacts that hit and did not penetrate and 3 penetrations (2 in the face, throat and 1 in the wrist). My jacket and turkey vest (has padded back and seat bottom), and pants took numerous hits as well. This happened March 16. This was a father hunting with his two sons. The father saw movement up ahead and told his son to shoot. They did not verify their targets. With Tom turkeys as you can see in my pictures you are looking for Red and Blue heads. They did not verify. The father was being charged with reckless endangerment. A 3 1/2 inch, 2 ounce load of #5 shot has approximately 340 projectiles which passed between myself and my partner about 5 feet away. God was with me that morning. My partner was stripping out his gear as we had walked a mile up the hill. he was just putting his jacket and vest back on. I had gone to the center of the road to see if he wanted help with his vest. When he said no I just started to turn when the shot rang out. Had I not turned there likely would have been a different outcome. After a couple months I went in to have the pellets removed. They managed to get all out except for one in my jaw/gums. For now it’s still too deep. After speaking with the doctor we determined that unless the shot moves towards the surface, or becomes more painful we will leave it in.

In my opinion, the most important point that can be made here is know your target before you shoot. Once you pull the trigger you can not call it back. Many young hunters depend on their parents to help them make wise choices. In this instance the father took responsibility for the shot, however the young hunter will likely lose his hunting privileges for a period of 3 years. The hope is that he will continue to hunt and be a safer hunter.

As a Hunter Education instructor I had the opportunity to mentor a young lady several years ago in the field hunting upland game. We hunt with dogs and use them to find and flush birds. This you lady was instructed by both myself and her father in the importance of taking the right shot. One that had a high assurance of hitting the intended target and lowest percentage of hitting something not intended. Over the first season we put her in an opportune place to get a shot at Pheasants flushing ahead of our dogs. Our biggest caution was to make sure the bird was high enough to prevent hitting a dog. On several instances birds flushed at what we felt were safe shots and we encouraged her to take the shot. When she didn’t we always let her know that was ok and that we’d find another opportunity. At times by the time she did take the shot the bird was frequently too far out and she only shot once. Again we encouraged the second shot.

One morning about 3 weeks into the season we had hunted together about a half dozen times. That morning we came upon a pheasant hiding in cover. We set her I. The best place to get a good shot, then released the dogs in to flush the bird. As the bird flushed it flew out away and about 7 feet off the ground. The dogs were behind but generally low enough and far enough that we felt it was a good, ethical shit and encouraged her to fire. When she didn’t we took it in stride. At the same time I felt it necessary to understand what happened, why she didn’t fire. I asked her.

Her response was:
I was pretty sure I could hit the bird, but I saw the dogs out of the corner of my eye and with them behind and below the bird I just didn’t want to take the chance of accidentally hitting one.
At this point I could see no wrong in her decision. She knew enough about bird shot and that it spreads. She knew where the dogs were in relation to the bird and she made a decision that for her was safe and ethical.

I couldn’t fault and congratulated her on good decision making and we continued our hunt. Within the next couple weeks she eventually got her first bird and also chose not to take several shots at others. Understand your target. Know what’s behind it, and make good, ethical choices.

Will go back to the doctor in a couple weeks to see if it’s working it’s way out, leave it, or whether we have to schedule something different for removal. Other than a couple very minor scars I’m doing fine.

Attachments

• 81F23C4C-F558-428D-96A5-543E0EB47E24.jpeg
    81F23C4C-F558-428D-96A5-543E0EB47E24.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • D3C8BD9E-725B-4DDC-BC82-343686D5E8DD.jpeg
    D3C8BD9E-725B-4DDC-BC82-343686D5E8DD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 174D5BB2-AE44-4DE3-8EE9-F5F13F7A1A3A.jpeg
    174D5BB2-AE44-4DE3-8EE9-F5F13F7A1A3A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • B9FB7269-4B1C-4C20-8D97-F4C064E824BF.jpeg
    B9FB7269-4B1C-4C20-8D97-F4C064E824BF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 2B7F6102-3181-4CEC-8E38-A83F5EC4CDEB.jpeg
    2B7F6102-3181-4CEC-8E38-A83F5EC4CDEB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 92D58CA6-72C9-4061-A2A8-280C829D9CAE.jpeg
    92D58CA6-72C9-4061-A2A8-280C829D9CAE.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
I have an acquaintance that got shot in the back and neck. He has long dark red hair. He was leaning against a tree squirrel hunting and someone saw movement then saw his hair. He was fine but took a few shot. I think it was a .410.

Back