Being shot

A bit long and not directly related to upland hunting. (Turkey hunting)
Date 4/16/2019 - time 6:30am - current weather, warm and sunny- Location Chewelah, Wa.

My partner and I were standing on a logging road about 6:30 am in the morning. We had been hunting and eventually walked up a logging road to a pond looking for two more turkeys to complete our tags. When we drove in earlier that morning we noted we were the only persons in the immediate area. We were standing in the middle of the road as my partner was removing some of his gear. As my partner bent to retrieve his vest a loud shot went off a short distance down the road from us. We both sustained impacts and immediately dropped to the ground. Both my partner and I began yelling that we had been hit and to stop firing. Several seconds later a hunter finally spoke up saying he was sorry. The hunter indicated that he had thought he’d seen orange. My partner immediately yelled why would he shoot at Orange as Tom turkeys head are blue and red?

I got back up from the ground and started wiping blood from my face, throat, and arms. My partner sustained 2 impacts to neck and wrist, and I received about a dozen either through and through impacts, impacts that hit and did not penetrate and 3 penetrations (2 in the face, throat, and 1 in the wrist).

The father and his two sons 16 years and younger approached us and profusely apologized for the mistake they had made. He indicated that they were coming up the road and had seen movement as they rounded a brush pile up the road. He indicated he had seen orange, and had instructed his oldest son to step forward and take the shot. The son saw movement and shot hitting us. My hunting partner again noted that you don’t shoot at Orange and that Tom turkey heads are red and blue. We were both wearing camouflage for turkey hunting. My partners jacket and hat had Browning buckmark logos on the sleeve and hat brim. These logos are blaze orange and appear to be what the father had seen prior to his son shooting.

I requested the father and sons identification so that we could file a report. The father at that time offered to head down to his vehicle and drive up to pick us up to take us to the hospital. After completing information exchange and assuring that while in some pain from the gunshot I thought I was ok to begin walking. They took off directly downhill and we followed the logging road 1 mile back to the vehicles. We found out when we reached the bottom that the gate was still locked which is why they were unable to drive up to get us.

by the time we arrived at our vehicle there were several sheriffs, state patrol, local wildlife officer, EMTs, and fire department arriving. The land owner at the bottom of the road (friend of the father and sons) had contacted them as soon as the father told him of the incident. The EMTs checked us out, bandaged some of the fresh wounds, and we refused transport. After completing initial reports they released us to go to the nearest hospital in Chewelah, Wa.

I was shot at a distance of 43 yards with a 3 1/2 inch round 2 ounce load of number #5 turkey loads. My partner sustained 2 impacts and I received about a dozen either through and through impacts, impacts that hit and did not penetrate and 3 penetrations (2 in the face, throat and 1 in the wrist). My jacket and turkey vest (has padded back and seat bottom), and pants took numerous hits as well. This happened March 16. This was a father hunting with his two sons. The father saw movement up ahead and told his son to shoot. They did not verify their targets. With Tom turkeys as you can see in my pictures you are looking for Red and Blue heads. They did not verify. The father was being charged with reckless endangerment. A 3 1/2 inch, 2 ounce load of #5 shot has approximately 340 projectiles which passed between myself and my partner about 5 feet away. God was with me that morning. My partner was stripping out his gear as we had walked a mile up the hill. he was just putting his jacket and vest back on. I had gone to the center of the road to see if he wanted help with his vest. When he said no I just started to turn when the shot rang out. Had I not turned there likely would have been a different outcome. After a couple months I went in to have the pellets removed. They managed to get all out except for one in my jaw/gums. For now it’s still too deep. After speaking with the doctor we determined that unless the shot moves towards the surface, or becomes more painful we will leave it in.

In my opinion, the most important point that can be made here is know your target before you shoot. Once you pull the trigger you can not call it back. Many young hunters depend on their parents to help them make wise choices. In this instance the father took responsibility for the shot, however the young hunter will likely lose his hunting privileges for a period of 3 years. The hope is that he will continue to hunt and be a safer hunter.

As a Hunter Education instructor I had the opportunity to mentor a young lady several years ago in the field hunting upland game. We hunt with dogs and use them to find and flush birds. This you lady was instructed by both myself and her father in the importance of taking the right shot. One that had a high assurance of hitting the intended target and lowest percentage of hitting something not intended. Over the first season we put her in an opportune place to get a shot at Pheasants flushing ahead of our dogs. Our biggest caution was to make sure the bird was high enough to prevent hitting a dog. On several instances birds flushed at what we felt were safe shots and we encouraged her to take the shot. When she didn’t we always let her know that was ok and that we’d find another opportunity. At times by the time she did take the shot the bird was frequently too far out and she only shot once. Again we encouraged the second shot.

One morning about 3 weeks into the season we had hunted together about a half dozen times. That morning we came upon a pheasant hiding in cover. We set her I. The best place to get a good shot, then released the dogs in to flush the bird. As the bird flushed it flew out away and about 7 feet off the ground. The dogs were behind but generally low enough and far enough that we felt it was a good, ethical shit and encouraged her to fire. When she didn’t we took it in stride. At the same time I felt it necessary to understand what happened, why she didn’t fire. I asked her.

Her response was:
I was pretty sure I could hit the bird, but I saw the dogs out of the corner of my eye and with them behind and below the bird I just didn’t want to take the chance of accidentally hitting one.
At this point I could see no wrong in her decision. She knew enough about bird shot and that it spreads. She knew where the dogs were in relation to the bird and she made a decision that for her was safe and ethical.

I couldn’t fault and congratulated her on good decision making and we continued our hunt. Within the next couple weeks she eventually got her first bird and also chose not to take several shots at others. Understand your target. Know what’s behind it, and make good, ethical choices.

Will go back to the doctor in a couple weeks to see if it’s working it’s way out, leave it, or whether we have to schedule something different for removal. Other than a couple very minor scars I’m doing fine.
That is absolutely crazy! I've done a lot of turkey hunting, and have come across some real idiots in Montana.

That is absolutely crazy! I've done a lot of turkey hunting, and have come across some real idiots in Montana.
The excitement of the moment seeing movement, but then not following through to verify your shot. Yes, I’m just glad it all ended the way it did. It could have been much worse.

I’ve got a little chip in my rear window. I totally got rapped up in the moment and got tunnel vision. Luckily the blocker was standing on the other side of the truck. It wouldn’t have penetrated, but eyes are never safe from bad decisions.
They say Ted Williams’s could see the seems on a baseball. I know a couple of guys who shoot like they can. One in particular is so focused that he loses track of his surroundings. That’s the guy I worry about.

Last edited:
The excitement of the moment seeing movement, but then not following through to verify your shot. Yes, I’m just glad it all ended the way it did. It could have been much worse.
Yes Tucker, you were very lucky. I believe turkey hunting is the most dangerous sport out there. At least two guys here in Indiana have been blinded. I'm very safe minded guy but have still taken some shots I wish I hadn't. My buddy and I were quail hunting. It was very windy. Dogs hit sent and started tracking in separate directions, mine left his right but I never saw him turn. My dog tracked in a half circle and the birds got up wild. I took the shot almost back from where we were and heard someone yell watch where you're shooting. I turned to my buddy and yelled that there was someone else in here. He was gone. His dog had tracked around behind us, and I shot pretty close to where he was. The whole thing just took a couple minutes.
I broke my own rule once and shot my dog! Had a covey of quail scattered down a ditch. The ditch had eroded bad in some places with no cover at all. Just strait down 8'. My dog saw that there was no cover and dove off the wall to hunt the bottom. Took a few steps and a bird got up in the ditch, flew down then out on my side. I wing clipped it. It jumped up and headed for the ditch. there was no dog, no nothing in my sight picture but bean stubble. I took the shot and as I pulled the trigger, my dog rocketed up from the ditch. He caught three 7.5s yelped, grabbed the bird and brought it back to me bleeding. I wished someone was there to beat my ass!
Years ago, I was rabbit hunting with a guy I knew was not experienced. He crippled a rabbit with a 12 gauge 11-48. it went in some brush with him chasing it. I saw him drop to his knees and reach in with the butt of the gun. I thought he was going to drag it out, but then he reared back with it meaning to hit it with the butt. I yelled no, but it was to late. The gun went off and he fell over I thought he was dead. He wasn't but still can't hear from his right ear.

Yes Tucker, you were very lucky. I believe turkey hunting is the most dangerous sport out there. At least two guys here in Indiana have been blinded. I'm very safe minded guy but have still taken some shots I wish I hadn't. My buddy and I were quail hunting. It was very windy. Dogs hit sent and started tracking in separate directions, mine left his right but I never saw him turn. My dog tracked in a half circle and the birds got up wild. I took the shot almost back from where we were and heard someone yell watch where you're shooting. I turned to my buddy and yelled that there was someone else in here. He was gone. His dog had tracked around behind us, and I shot pretty close to where he was. The whole thing just took a couple minutes.
I broke my own rule once and shot my dog! Had a covey of quail scattered down a ditch. The ditch had eroded bad in some places with no cover at all. Just strait down 8'. My dog saw that there was no cover and dove off the wall to hunt the bottom. Took a few steps and a bird got up in the ditch, flew down then out on my side. I wing clipped it. It jumped up and headed for the ditch. there was no dog, no nothing in my sight picture but bean stubble. I took the shot and as I pulled the trigger, my dog rocketed up from the ditch. He caught three 7.5s yelped, grabbed the bird and brought it back to me bleeding. I wished someone was there to beat my ass!
Years ago, I was rabbit hunting with a guy I knew was not experienced. He crippled a rabbit with a 12 gauge 11-48. it went in some brush with him chasing it. I saw him drop to his knees and reach in with the butt of the gun. I thought he was going to drag it out, but then he reared back with it meaning to hit it with the butt. I yelled no, but it was to late. The gun went off and he fell over I thought he was dead. He wasn't but still can't hear from his right ear.
Ya, I’ve seen a few dogs shot in similar circumstances over the years. Been pelted a time or two myself. Difference was pellets raining down vs directly at. always wear blaze and always in safety glasses.
I still sweat occasionaly thinking about the turkey hunt. Haven’t gone back since. Maybe someday.

I hesitate to post this but maybe it might help someone to remember that all guns should be presumed loaded. I used to work with a guy who told me this horrible story. When he was in his teens, he and some friends came back to a friend's house from hunting. The friend whose house it was needed to call his girlfriend, but his little brother was on the phone. He pointed his shotgun at him and told him to get off the phone. He didn't and was shot dead in front of all. The kid thought he had it unloaded. That's a tough one.

Her's some more turkey stories. My buddy and I had planes to scout one morning before season, he called the night before and said he couldn't make it. I was a mile into the national Forrest following a gobbling tom. It was a bit foggy, and I was sitting on a rock buff listening to him below. I heard something and turned to see what I would have sworn was a tom sneaking through the brush at twenty yards. After a while I stood up and walked away when I heard someone call out. I look over and see my buddy sitting down the ridge. He had changed his mind and drove down. I said how weird it was for us to be following the same bird way out here, and did he see the tom walk by. He said no he didn't, and I had this strange, flushed feeling. I asked him how he got to the bluff and he said he had to duck walk through the dense cover. To me in the fog, his hat looked like a head and his crow call dangling from his neck looked like a beard. That image still haunts me to this day. Would I have taken the shot had season been in? I don't like to think about it.
This happened in the county south of me. A guy was sitting on a railroad track in the middle of the morning in the bright sunshine without a face mask, just making some calls. He saw someone sneaking towards him, but before he could react a kid shot him in the face.
This happened in the county east of here. A guy was sitting against a tree working a tom when he heard something behind him. He looked and saw someone coming. He rolled out from the tree on his knees and waved both arms and was promptly shot in the chest, The guy took off running afterwards but came back to help him.

Had a good buddy shot in the head by an arrow walking into his stand one morning. One blade of the broadhead grazed his scalp giving him a ton of stitches. An inch lower he would have been dead. Idiot hunter thought he was a deer, and shooting in the dark before shooting hours. Happened at Kirwin Reservoir back in the 80's.

Had a good buddy shot in the head by an arrow walking into his stand one morning. One blade of the broadhead grazed his scalp giving him a ton of stitches. An inch lower he would have been dead. Idiot hunter thought he was a deer, and shooting in the dark before shooting hours. Happened at Kirwin Reservoir back in the 80's.
Wow how lucky. This happened near me in the 70's just before compounds came around. A buddy of my older brothers was working through the woods before daylight with one of the old-time climbers with the plywood deck on his back. he felt a whack and thought it was a sapling smacking him. When he got to his tree and swung the limber off his shoulders there was a arrow sticking in it.

Quite a few western states are comprised of many turkey hunters that only know how to spot, stalk, and shoot. Some states do not have small shot requirements and others even allow rifles.

I have read reports where people in goose decoys are fired on (rifle from the road).

Her's some more turkey stories. My buddy and I had planes to scout one morning before season, he called the night before and said he couldn't make it. I was a mile into the national Forrest following a gobbling tom. It was a bit foggy, and I was sitting on a rock buff listening to him below. I heard something and turned to see what I would have sworn was a tom sneaking through the brush at twenty yards. After a while I stood up and walked away when I heard someone call out. I look over and see my buddy sitting down the ridge. He had changed his mind and drove down. I said how weird it was for us to be following the same bird way out here, and did he see the tom walk by. He said no he didn't, and I had this strange, flushed feeling. I asked him how he got to the bluff and he said he had to duck walk through the dense cover. To me in the fog, his hat looked like a head and his crow call dangling from his neck looked like a beard. That image still haunts me to this day. Would I have taken the shot had season been in? I don't like to think about it.
This happened in the county south of me. A guy was sitting on a railroad track in the middle of the morning in the bright sunshine without a face mask, just making some calls. He saw someone sneaking towards him, but before he could react a kid shot him in the face.
This happened in the county east of here. A guy was sitting against a tree working a tom when he heard something behind him. He looked and saw someone coming. He rolled out from the tree on his knees and waved both arms and was promptly shot in the chest, The guy took off running afterwards but came back to help him.
Some days we don’t realize how lucky we are. As you could see from my pictures I took one pellet that went through the bridge of the nose right between the eyes. Fortunately no cartilage damage, and another picture had the pellet enter the back of the throat on the side and exit the front. Again, no esophageal damage. i do still have one pellet that entered the jaw at the hinge. Went deep enough into the muscle that after doc digging around I said enough it can stay as a reminder how lucky I was.
I read some of these other stories and can’t believe my luck. We did find out one thing after speaking with the dad about a year later. We always assumed he was aiming at me and came to find out he actually had aimed at my partner about 5 feet away. Partner was even luckier as he had just bent down to retrieve his jacket and firearm and on,ya had a couple impacts. I was hit with residual pellet and had I not turned when I did I would have taken everything directly in the face instead of the side of the face. Praise the lord in this instance.

Last edited:
Some days we don’t realize how lucky we are. As you could see from my pictures I took one pellet that went through the bridge of the nose right between the eyes. Fortunately no cartilage damage, and another picture had the pellet enter the back of the throat on the side and exit the front. Again, no esophageal damage. i do still have one pellet that entered the jaw at the hinge. Went deep enough into the muscle that after doc digging around I said enough it can stay as a reminder how lucky I was.
I read some of these other stories and can’t believe my luck. We did find out one thing after speaking with the dad about a year later. We always assumed he was aiming at me and came to find out he actually had aimed at my partner about 5 feet away. Partner was even luckier as he had just bet down to retrieve his jacket and firearm and on,ya had a couple impacts. I was hit with residual pellet and had I not turned when I did I would have taken everything directly in the face instead of the side of the face. Praise the lord in this instance.
That guy must have been close.Very stupid event. Gun safety is very important. My dad was always very serious about safe hunting.

A bit of a better note. Once in a while one of the blind guys is sometimes in the local paper. He has killed a few deer and turkeys. He has a guy who is devoted to making his life better. He's the guy who shot him!!
I know a guy who was blinded while pheasant as a teenager. I dont know the story. He is now around 60 years old, and a great guy. I always avoid talking about hunting around him.Hunting is dangerous, I hunt alone a lot.

Back