basic e-collar

got a buddy with a very soft dog and we need a collar to give gentle reminders. anyone know of a really basic, inexpensive collar that has more sound than stimilation?

I've used Tri-Tronics for years but went to a new Dogtra this past year. It has a vibration feature instead of sound. My dogs to it right away...just another thought or direction you may want to explore. Any e-collar with sound or vibration is going to cost you. You may want to check the used collar guys over at Collar Clinic...they might have something cheaper.

I have one of the Dogtra collars as mentioned above, and the vibration mode works well. With the sound/beep features on some of the collars, you essentially train the dog that "you heard the beep, and if you don't listen you're going to get nicked." I think the vibration itself is annoying or startling enough to the dog that you don't necessarily have to use that as a warning - particularly with a softer dog, the vibration itself might bother the dog enough to be all you need. I have the 280NCP model, which I think goes for a bit over $200 new.

I just got a DT micro iDT plus, which is 900 yd, fully waterproof, expandable to 3 dogs, small, 16 levels of mom and cont., has the vibration feature and priced @ less than $200 bucks. So far (couple of months), I have no complaints whatsoever. My dog is very soft also, but works well with a level 3-4. I've tested it on myself, and can't feel below level 3, so I think this collar will be fine for soft dogs.

I agree the Dogtra 200 npc works great. The vibration works great as an attention getter. And then if that does not work you have the nick feature and the steady plus like all e-collars you can adjust the voltage of the shock. It took my chocolate lab one time to be shocked after I used the the vibration first and he disobeyed the my command. I gave the command again and when he disobeyed again I nicked him and he has listen and obeyed ever since. And I only have to use the vibration on him now.

Dang guys, I thought the thread was started out by looking for something inexpensive. I looked at the Dogtra website and saw some of the collars they offer. The prices were around $379.99 to $549.99!
My wife and I picked up a Sport Dog brand yesterday that I've seen nothing but excellent reviews from for about $169.99. In my opinion that's inexpensive. Is there anything close to a Discount Dogtra website??

Try looking on ebay or something like that. I got mine there and it works great. And at a much cheaper price then a new one. And Dogtra's customer service is outstanding I have never had a problem with mine. I have only replaced the batteries in the collar. They were a little spendy but it was 3 years after I got the used collar on ebay. Also had to get the seal cover for where the charger plugs into the collar. And they sent me three of them at no cost to me.

Last edited:
I agree with Elijah, Sportdog makes good collars and I have 2 of them, and they work fine. Tony is a very soft dog. My Vet calls him a "wimp". The 1 setting on my Sportdog is all that is needed for correction on him. Gunne, that guys is tough 2-3 setting before you even get rise out of him. But just a few times and he learns to do it right. The Vet called him a "good trooper" he went through the setting of his broken leg and so forth and not a sound. He just laid there and let the Vet do what needed to be done. The Vet said he loves that dog........Bob

Last edited:
I've used Tri-Tronics for years but went to a new Dogtra this past year. It has a vibration feature instead of sound. My dogs to it right away...just another thought or direction you may want to explore. Any e-collar with sound or vibration is going to cost you. You may want to check the used collar guys over at Collar Clinic...they might have something cheaper.

The vibration feature of Dogtra might be the ticket for a soft dog.

I started with a Tri-tronics collar and switched to Dogtra when I found a used one. I think that Dogtra is the way to go. I currently have to SureStim 7002, which I really like. I trained my springers to recall on the vibration.

The main drawback with Dogtra is that they are not expandable, so I had to sell the NCP 1600 I had and buy the 2 dog unit.

I see them every so often on Minneapolis Craigslist in the $100 range.

Everyone's got their favorites, I have a Tri-tronics sports basic g3. I have two collars, I hunt with two friends that have DTs and they both have sent their collars in twice to the tune of $100 or so to have the plug worked on. I have never had to send my in.
Mine has a tone and my dog responses well, I rarely have to use the simulation, but that could be because of my superior dog training skills or my dog being one of the finest hunting animals ever breed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Peter

Dogtra has been very good with my dog. I love my T&B some times just a little beep is all that is needed

+1 I use one of the entry level dogtra models for my Springer, usually just hit the vibrate, works great good battery.

I use the sportdog sd-1825. It has the vibrate, beeper, and shock features with a 2 mile range. Don't know why I'd need that much range but it works great. Both my dogs are kind of soft. Vibrate mode is about all I ever need.

I have TT and use the "tone" feature all of the time. Can't remember when I last "shocked".
My only complaint with TT is the beeper function. The beepers jsut don't seem to hold up like I think they should. I only use them as "locators" in heavy cover never in the beeper mode.
I just bought an Astro so I shouldn't need the beeper anymore!:thumbsup:

I use the sportdog sd-1825. It has the vibrate, beeper, and shock features with a 2 mile range. Don't know why I'd need that much range but it works great. Both my dogs are kind of soft. Vibrate mode is about all I ever need.

Collars on this model have like a soft, medium, stubborn dog mode. Really like mine so far.

Back