B&P Ammo

SO, I emailed Federal and asked them why they don't make premium loads in lower velocity. I think there is a market for them. A bigger market than there is for the Prairie Storm. We'll see if they get back to me.

Here's the reply I got today. Basically a stock answer.

We appreciate your interest in federal ammunition. We will pass your
request to our product development team for review.

zeb,

I really don't think you can go wrong with B&P regardless of what they sell. There are a few on this board who are not fond of them for whatever reason, but the fact remains that B&P's manufacturing process and technology stands at the top of the industry. Heck they make all their own components and their manufacturing process has quality checks that exceed the industry standard. If the price is right I say give them a try.

And, if you buy direct from bandpusa they will ship free to your door.

B&P will ship single boxes also with a shipping charge. I've emailed them for the cost of a single box plus shipping so I can try them before ordering a case. The 16's are 2 5/8" with 1 1/16 oz. of shot at 1,280 fps. Recoil is said to be mild and that's what I'm looking for.

B&P will ship single boxes also with a shipping charge. I've emailed them for the cost of a single box plus shipping so I can try them before ordering a case. The 16's are 2 5/8" with 1 1/16 oz. of shot at 1,280 fps. Recoil is said to be mild and that's what I'm looking for.

Are there any clubs in your vicinity that any sell them. Gun Clubs, Shooting Preserves etc..? Might be worth checking out to save a shipping cost of 1 box.

Are there any clubs in your vicinity that any sell them. Gun Clubs, Shooting Preserves etc..? Might be worth checking out to save a shipping cost of 1 box.

I doubt it and even if there was, the chances of them having any 16 ga. would be very small.

Just order a case. You won't regret it. If you're patient, you can sometimes catch them on sale. A couple months back their web site went down for a few days and when they brought it back up they offered 20% off all orders for the following couple days.

Great ammo. My go-to gun is a 16ga SXS choked Skeet1/Skeet2. Perfect with #8s RGLs or Win Super X for grouse. When I hunt the prairie or pheasants I use either the #7 or #6 B&P. They tend to pattern a little tighter out of my gun and allow me to use the same gun for all my upland persuits. B&P patterns closer to IC/Mod out of my Skeet 1/Skeet 2 gun.

Dakota:

I think they will split cases, in fact I'm sure of it. These are great shells, they are the only thing that I shot this last fall in my AYA #4 and along with a couple of boxes of Westley Richards 2.5" the only thing that I shot in my Merkel 1620.
I killed several wild roosters with the 1620 and some at a greater distance than I usually shoot.
They are high quality and I have no complaints.:10sign:
I stocked up the last time they were on sale!:thumbsup: I haven't found anything of this quality at the price!

Well, I broke down and ordered a case of 16 ga. shells from B&P. I guess between field trials and hunting this fall I'll find out how I like them. I got a mixed case of 6, 7 & 8 shot.

airmedic1, if you ever see a sale on them be sure to post it on this site or shoot me a PM.

If you have the time and or the place, see if you can shoot a few patterns at the distance you are most likely to shoot. Not sure if your gun has choke tubes or not, but trying out different chokes too may present some suprises.

Dakota:

I'm sure you will be happy with them, I know that I am. I get emails from them once in awhile but since you bought from them you should get them too, but if I see something I will send you a PM.

R

If you have the time and or the place, see if you can shoot a few patterns at the distance you are most likely to shoot. Not sure if your gun has choke tubes or not, but trying out different chokes too may present some suprises.

What are the surprises? I'll be shooting them through my 16 ga. Citori. I have Skeet, IC, Mod & Full chokes. All I normally shoot is IC/Mod. But I'm thinking of going Skeet/IC. Patterning will determine the proper chokes.

What are the surprises? I'll be shooting them through my 16 ga. Citori. I have Skeet, IC, Mod & Full chokes. All I normally shoot is IC/Mod. But I'm thinking of going Skeet/IC. Patterning will determine the proper chokes.

That's what I meant by surprises. You may find that your best patterns come from a choke or combination that normally wouldn't seem like the optimum choice.

A lot of people get it into their head that I'll use this choke for short range and this choke for long range, and while that may indeed work for many guns, every now and then you'll find a choke/load combination that will defy common logic.

Good luck, I'll bet your going to like what you observe in B&P.:thumbsup:

Probably not much of a test but I used some of the B&P 16 ga. #7 shot on some chukars this weekend at a field trial but I toasted every bird with just one shot. I still have to get out and pattern them but I was very happy with their performance this weekend.

Probably not much of a test but I used some of the B&P 16 ga. #7 shot on some chukars this weekend at a field trial but I toasted every bird with just one shot. I still have to get out and pattern them but I was very happy with their performance this weekend.

A lot of WILD chukar hunters that carrie 20ga use #7 early but change to #6 late as wild are much harder to bring down late.

To all the B&P haters out there, in the latest issue of Field and Stream(August '11) they give B&P MB Long Range #5 shot their vote for the top pheasant ammo with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant second. Pretty interesting reasons why and not sure how or what was all in the comparison pool though.

To all the B&P haters out there, in the latest issue of Field and Stream(August '11) they give B&P MB Long Range #5 shot their vote for the top pheasant ammo with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant second. Pretty interesting reasons why and not sure how or what was all in the comparison pool though.

And I noticed that the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant load that came in 2nd was not the High Velocity load. I think it was the 1,250 fps round. As has been said elsewhere on this site, to much emphasis on velocity. It's just not needed with lead shot and can cause blown patterns.

I'll be trying out my B&P 16 ga. loads this fall on pheasants. I did use some of the 16's in 7 shot on chukars at a field trial in May and I smoked every bird.

If you do a little research into how B&P manufacturer's their ammo, it's no surprise that they came out #1.

To be honest though in all fairness to other manufacturer's. All of the premium ammo out there regardless of brand performs way better than we ever will as wingshooters. We still have to put the gun in the right place or brand of ammo is a moot point. ;)

Last edited:
Back