Astro 320

jeffstally

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Garmin Astro 320 on Wednesday. It should be at my door on Monday. I am looking forward to learning how to use it. The grouse opener is only 3 weeks away and this red setter likes to run! There was no way I was going to take him out in the woods without a tracking collar on him.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Garmin Astro 320 on Wednesday. It should be at my door on Monday. I am looking forward to learning how to use it. The grouse opener is only 3 weeks away and this red setter likes to run! There was no way I was going to take him out in the woods without a tracking collar on him.

i have a 220 and they are nice if and when needed. mainly use beeper collars.

I don't take the dogs out without an Astro on. Mine are not the biggest runners but it is nice to know where they are all the time. Dogs can get lost, and mine are worth a lot to me and the family. A lot more than an Astro.

But one thing that I have found with the Astro, is I shoot more birds. In tall prairie grass you can't see a dog sometimes at 10 yards. It really help to get the beep when they are on point and to know which direction and how far they are.

eddited- saw the orange thumbs down- not sure what that means- maybe best not post

Last edited:
Why do you still use the beepers with the Astro?

i like my shocking options. i run 2 3 dog upland tritonics with beeper on point only mode. my dogs handel 99% of the time and if let them range they would be 300 yards out and i always have 2-6 on the ground and hunt them alone most of the time. i am lucky that out my back door is my personal training grounds. people are always surprised at the way my eps and gsps handle. i demand a well train animal and have put the time and money into it. flight pens,auto backers, remote launchers ecollars ( 6 dog and 2 3 dog) incubators (3000 quail per month in peak) brooder houses ,pigeon coups and 3 nice fields planted just for training.
yep we are ate up with it...;)

SportDOG TEK 1.0 LT GPS + Ecollar System
this is a great idea.

I just got my Astro 320 last week. I wish I would have got it sooner. We went out scouting Saturday and it was great. I new where my dogs were all the time. It certainly took any anxiety out of not knowing where my dogs are. I was even surprised how well it worked in the mountains. Really looking forward to hunting season. I almost never walk my dogs on a leash so they can run. Its great to know where they are all the time. even when not hunting

The info is good as well. Saturday's scouting

me 7.1 miles
non hunting weim 13miles
Blue weim 14.5 miles

I agree with everyone's comments about how the Astro takes the anxiety of wondering where you dog is. Hunting uncut milo with a couple big ranging pointing dogs without the Astro takes most of the fun out of hunting, with the Astro it is a walk in the park!
I currently have the 220, but REALLY want the 320!

Rut

I got my Astro 320 today. It is Very easy to use (I also have a Garmin 60cx which is similar).

Now I just need to figure out what kind of maps I want to use.

I pulled the trigger on an Astro 220 last January right after the first of the year. I "lost" my GSP's along side a busy highway in tall CRP. There was a 30+ mph wind blowing and they couldn't hear me yell or whistle and I couldn't hear the beeper when I set it off.
I was terrified and vowed to not hunt without one again. I also think I kill more birds with the Astro. I have it set in the on point mode so I when I hear the tone I look at the Astro to see where the dogs are. I don't use the whistle and I took the beepers off the collar so I make less noise.

Less noise = more birds and I like the fact that I can always tell where my dogs are at any time. I have never had any trouble with mine and plan on putting the TT receiver on the same collar so I only have to have the one collar on the dogs at one time.

SportDOG TEK 1.0 LT GPS + Ecollar System
this is a great idea.

Well I think I am going for the Sportdog. I am going to take a look at it anyway. I know the mapping is lacking but it's small and compact. I will let you all know if I pull the trigger.

Well I think I am going for the Sportdog. I am going to take a look at it anyway. I know the mapping is lacking but it's small and compact. I will let you all know if I pull the trigger.

The unit looks like it points you in the right direction. The ecollar option is pretty cool.:) Thanks for keeping us posted. :thumbsup:

The unit looks like it points you in the right direction. The ecollar option is pretty cool.:) Thanks for keeping us posted. :thumbsup:

the main reason my 1 set of shock collars are bad and 9 years old. I have sent them in 3 times over the years enough already I didn't know that the 2nd collar is $350.00 either....sheesh!

What is the main differences with the 220 and 320?

it's newer- as in a car- got to be better- so buy it

I picked up 2 DC20 collars last year for $50.00- because a person thought the DC30's were so much more improved and better

my 220 is old- works like a charm-

quite happy to stick with the old that works-
unlike many who think you should wait till the last min to buy the latest

the updates pretty much put the old as good as the new anyway

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the DC40 collars; not syncing up with the Astro 320.

If I was going too make a deal on one of these GPS systems does anyone suggest that I get an Astro 320 controller and run DC30 collars with it? I'm not seeing good reviews on the DC40 collars, but it seams that most hunters like the Astro 320 controller. I don't mind spending the money; I just want to have a solid working system. Thoughts!

I have a 320, and run both DC30 and DC40 collars. It works flawlessly with both collars.

I like the DC40 collar better.

I don't have any DC-30 collars but the three DC-40's that I have work just fine. NO problems with them at all.
I've read where people have had lots of problems but I'm never lucky in anything and they have worked flawlessly for me.

R

Back