Anyone Deer Hunting

greatlawn

I took a break from bird hunting to deer hunt. I have hunted since the opener and seems like the bucks are just not moving. I am hunting around Emporia. Anybody else hunting the area having the same problem?

They are moving a lot better in the evenings than the mornings here. That is the opposite of most rifle seasons.

Down southeast we saw lots of deer, but only one of us saw a shootable buck. It was a nice, wide eight.

Last night at another spot close to Wichita, I did not see a single deer.

I'm not seeing much morning or evening, and it's been the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes of legal shooting time.

I think the next deer I see is probably going down. Venison tastes so much better than eating the little green tag!
:cheers:

FWIW, I suspect the deer in the area I hunt are getting pounded pretty hard on neighboring ground, so my experience may not be too representative of anywhere else. I've heard shots in all directions every time out.

Last edited:
I broke down and bought a rifle today.
Rem 700 in .270

Going to get it sighted in then decide if I am willing to sit in the blind or take the dogs bird hunting.

Deer movement was good at my place in NE KS until the rifle season opened. Too much pressure from the public ground that surrounds me has shut that down. I was lucky and took my buck in Western KS with the bow a week before the Rooster opener:cheers:

Still trying to shoot a couple does with my 6.5x 55.

Good Luck and be safe!

Kick

I didn't make it out on the opener due to pneumonia, but I am feeling better, hoping to make it out for the last day.

Rut

Didn't see squat this morning, except 2 bald eagles, a zillion snows, and a herd of squirrels. I should have had a pellet gun for the squirrels. Haha.

What's the best method for cooking a deer tag? My schedule dictates I have one hunt left. It's not looking good.

PM me if you are looking for an ethical doe shooter in January.

Saw 2 doe's running that's it. Nothing moving at all.

I think they will be moving tonight, and in the morning before the front rolls in. I don't think I'll get out but will go doe hunting with the bow when the weather is colder.

Good luck boys..Be Safe :thumbsup:

I have not heard any good reports for deer this year. I have sat a couple of morning and evenings and have only seen does and a couple small bucks. Pretty darn slim pickings if you ask me.

Well I gave up on deer this year. Today I got to spend the day with 20 kids enjoying there first pheasant hunt. I know shooting a deer would have been fun but I would not have missed the kids expression for anything. Maybe we created new hunters. Check out some pictures on Facebook Heartland Chapter of Pheasants Forever.

Greatlawn

I have seen fewer deer on my game cameras this year on my place.
But I am seeing many more coyotes than in past years. I would guess that there are 30 of them within ear shot of my place.

Deer populations has been declining over the last 10 years. Too many tags, to long of seasons, and poor management practices overall.

It's a miracle! I tagged out! Yes, I had to sit in the rain for 2 hours and then drag the deer a few hundred yards up a mud road,,, but I should have some nice venison, at least until it runs out. :laugh:

Deer populations has been declining over the last 10 years. Too many tags, to long of seasons, and poor management practices overall.

And the front ends of many vehicles like this. We just had way to many deer for a long time. In the late 90s I deer hunted on a buddies farm and would get a deer first day every year. It was rediculously easy and trust me, I am no expert deer hunter at all. But I think now we are where we should be with them.

I do think they should raise out of state permit prices greatly, and put stricter controls on guides and make them pay commercial guide fees. This is for everything and not just deer. And the state really needs to crack down on land owners leasing land by way of paying taxes on taxable income. We all know that so much of that is done cash under the table.

Back