Anybody experienced complaints about thier states hunters?

I would have to agree with the many posts regarding the pleasnt folks in Kansas. My 1st out of state trip was there in '95. I pulled into the gas station at 5;30 am, bought my licence and a cup of coffee in Mankato. Out of the blue the lady gave me permission to hunt their family farm. While enroute, I stopped to let the dog out so we could both take care of business. The area looked great so I thought we'd road hunt to stretch our legs from the 12 hour journey. The mailman happened by and asked how we were doing... he gave me permission to hunt the adjacent 640 acre crp field, warning, "don't get lost". All this and I never opened my mouth to ask! Even the guy at the motel let me bring my dog in the room, which was not normal policy. He just liked the way I handled my dog and said not to tell anyone else. I did get some stern glares from the cafe employees when I finished breakfast and asked for an order of toast to go for my "girl" in the truck. You hear that pindrop? They were relieved to find out I was refering to my dog. :cheers: to the fine folks of Kansas!

so true we have been offered hunting spots 2-3 times at least just out of the blue!!!??? same thing with the dogs in the room the lady who owned the hotel walked over asked what kind of dog i had & said you better not leave her in that truck all nite she can go in the room with you!!!

not taking anything away from nebraska ive met dome good folks down that way also but way more in KS had guys drawing me & my dad maps of wear turkeys roost ETC. on hunts & they were hunting also just nice folks!!! met some good friends down in oklahoma last yr the area i was in reminded me of kansas just friendly folks all around??? in these areas of the country you can still gain hunting permission on a hand shake & a hi mam/sir how are you doing today... try that in some of these major PAY TO PLAY states they will say sure you can hunt & stick there hand out for $$$ in KS you better not offer $$$ to the land owner or u may insult them a gift is much better of a idea or even a simple conversation & a solid hand shake & a honest thank you for allowing me on your property will do just fine!!!

to the good people of kansas ill be seeing you all in about 18-19 days!!!

so true we have been offered hunting spots 2-3 times at least just out of the blue!!!??? same thing with the dogs in the room the lady who owned the hotel walked over asked what kind of dog i had & said you better not leave her in that truck all nite she can go in the room with you!!!

not taking anything away from nebraska ive met dome good folks down that way also but way more in KS had guys drawing me & my dad maps of wear turkeys roost ETC. on hunts & they were hunting also just nice folks!!! met some good friends down in oklahoma last yr the area i was in reminded me of kansas just friendly folks all around??? in these areas of the country you can still gain hunting permission on a hand shake & a hi mam/sir how are you doing today... try that in some of these major PAY TO PLAY states they will say sure you can hunt & stick there hand out for $$$ in KS you better not offer $$$ to the land owner or u may insult them a gift is much better of a idea or even a simple conversation & a solid hand shake & a honest thank you for allowing me on your property will do just fine!!!

to the good people of kansas ill be seeing you all in about 18-19 days!!!

Maybe we better keep this under the hood. May just have to rethink my out of state expedition from S D to "somewhere over the rainbow". We keep opening our traps we may have a hard time finding a spot. Good luck finding "Tom"

Last edited:
I would have to agree with the many posts regarding the pleasnt folks in Kansas. My 1st out of state trip was there in '95. I pulled into the gas station at 5;30 am, bought my licence and a cup of coffee in Mankato. Out of the blue the lady gave me permission to hunt their family farm. While enroute, I stopped to let the dog out so we could both take care of business. The area looked great so I thought we'd road hunt to stretch our legs from the 12 hour journey. The mailman happened by and asked how we were doing... he gave me permission to hunt the adjacent 640 acre crp field, warning, "don't get lost". All this and I never opened my mouth to ask! Even the guy at the motel let me bring my dog in the room, which was not normal policy. He just liked the way I handled my dog and said not to tell anyone else. I did get some stern glares from the cafe employees when I finished breakfast and asked for an order of toast to go for my "girl" in the truck. You hear that pindrop? They were relieved to find out I was refering to my dog. :cheers: to the fine folks of Kansas!

I agree on people in our state being very friendly. You may be careful on the road hunting however. Kansas isn't like South Dakota, you have to have permission from the adjacent landowner to road hunt. The landowner has to the middle of the road on their side. I couldn't care less, but the game warden will write you up for it.

I agree on people in our state being very friendly. You may be careful on the road hunting however. Kansas isn't like South Dakota, you have to have permission from the adjacent landowner to road hunt. The landowner has to the middle of the road on their side. I couldn't care less, but the game warden will write you up for it.

No wonder the road is always drilled with wheat!!!!!:D:D

Thanx, FK for comment. Landowner should control to middle of the road, that's what he paid for, as a landowner in Iowa I could empathise. Roads are fair game in Iowa as well as S D. Doesn't seem right for government to allow trespassing on land they do not own. Are there any other non-Communist states out there besides Kansas?
I know you can't road hunt in the state of "Chicago", no loss, only wildlife found are rats.:D

friendly

a number of years ago i had stopped in the middle of a dirt road in kansas watching a flock of turkey in a pasture, they seemed to be always there and every post had a don't even think about it sign on it. it happened to be on my way to my hunting blind and i always stopped to dream. a truck pulled up behind me, the guy got out and walked over to my truck, me, thinking the s.o.b. ought to mind his own business as i had no intention of bothering those turkey. he said to me, why don't you shoot those tureky, well, like maybe it is posted, he told me it didn't make any difference shoot them anyway. ya, right, i told him i didn't own the land and didn't know who did, he told me it was his and he hated the damn things. i said what about the cows out there, well, don't shoot the cows. he had just one rule if i would hunt his place, i couldn't just shoot one. eventually his wife told me the same thing. what a deal, been friends ever since, his likes my wine i make and i like the turkey he grows. pretty rare in my life to have a farmer or rancher ask me to hunt his property

cheers

right to hunt

Thanx, FK for comment. Landowner should control to middle of the road, that's what he paid for, as a landowner in Iowa I could empathise. Roads are fair game in Iowa as well as S D. Doesn't seem right for government to allow trespassing on land they do not own. Are there any other non-Communist states out there besides Kansas?
I know you can't road hunt in the state of "Chicago", no loss, only wildlife found are rats.:D

something to chew on especially if you live and hunt in the west. vermont for example it is the law that you can hunt the land unless you are told specifically otherwise, some other states also do that, don't think it has a thing to do with being a communist state, true, they may pay taxes to the middle of the road, let's see them try and graze it, besides, where does the money come from to maintain that property, certainly not the landowner

cheers

The landowner does to pay to maintain the road. Thats what property taxes are for. People who own the land pay way more property taxes than people that don't. My property taxes average 12 bucks an acre. Thats why in most counties in Kansas on county roads farm equipment has the right of way. There are certain areas in western Kansas that is open range that the cattle do graze the ditches and roam freely on the roads. You drive across cattle guards entering and leaving.

something to chew on especially if you live and hunt in the west. vermont for example it is the law that you can hunt the land unless you are told specifically otherwise, some other states also do that, don't think it has a thing to do with being a communist state, true, they may pay taxes to the middle of the road, let's see them try and graze it, besides, where does the money come from to maintain that property, certainly not the landowner

cheers

The landowner definately pays for road improvement. I am a township supervisor, that means I am one of the guys that takes care of the road. We decide when and where to gravel and evrything else. We have raised our own taxes the last two years to pay for road maintainence. We do pay taxes to the middle of the road.

cheers
I want to live in the same country you live in, you obviously pay no property taxes! Didn't know Vermont was west of the Mississippi????
Thanx FK and HM for keeping my back.

where is vermont

vermont is well, just about 24000 miles west of the mississippi, if you look on the map you will find it

cheers

vermont is well, just about 24000 miles west of the mississippi, if you look on the map you will find it

cheers
Once I found the globe at the library(not sophisticated enough to own one), I was able to locate it...right where you said it was. Flat maps don't go far enough.

Back