Anybody experienced complaints about thier states hunters?

goldenboy

I have recently been accused of something that I resent. I have heard farmers and people from other states that don't like Minnesota hunters? They complain how we don't know how to hunt, or they complain about us coming and spending money in their communities like this is a bad thing! I don't get it. I hunt pheasants a lot. I know how to hunt but I am always willing to listen to a few new ideas. But the notion that I am a bad person because I travel a long distance and pay to have chances at birds is odd to me. I thought the local motel, gas station, restaurant wanted me to spend money in their small town? The farmer who allows me to hunt on his land certainly takes my money every year, yet I am constantly hearing about how bad Minnesota hunter are and they shouldn't be allowed to "hunt' or "spend" money in their part of the world? Help me out I don't get it. I work hard for a living and I am a busy person. When I take time away from my family and my job I want to go and see birds and shoot birds! Am I a bad person or a bad hunter because of that or is it something people have against Minnesotans? I know we talk funny but come on give a guy a break.

out of stater

get a thicker skin is all i can say, if it doesn't bother the dogs, shouldn't bother you. all areas of the country have this problem, when i grew up in vermont all i ever heard about was the darn flat landers, meaning mass, conn, ny, or just any place

cheers

For what it's worth, being from Florida I have to travel to hunt pheasants and I travel to North-Central Kansas where a large group of us congregate to hunt with local folks. We have hunters from Texas, Wyoming, Montana, Georgia, Indiana and about three or four other states as well as several parts of Kansas. The local folks we hunt with treat us like family and the other local folks are extremely friendly. This may be due to the extra income we bring to the community but I also feel that it is because the local folks are nice, friendly people. They are generally well educated and can talk with you about almost anything and will go out of their was to help you if you need help. I have never experienced any of the things you speak of and I have never heard the local folks in Kansas speak negatively of outsiders. I love going out there. Where do you hunt?

welcome mat

lot's of years ago when nebraska and univ. of colorado were major competitors i was hunting in neb. we saw some great land and located the farmer, as i approached the porch, which was decorated in red, me, i had my c.u. hat on, kinda dumb, anyway, didn't get me on his land

cheers

I have recently been accused of something that I resent. I have heard farmers and people from other states that don't like Minnesota hunters? They complain how we don't know how to hunt, or they complain about us coming and spending money in their communities like this is a bad thing! I don't get it. I hunt pheasants a lot. I know how to hunt but I am always willing to listen to a few new ideas. But the notion that I am a bad person because I travel a long distance and pay to have chances at birds is odd to me. I thought the local motel, gas station, restaurant wanted me to spend money in their small town? The farmer who allows me to hunt on his land certainly takes my money every year, yet I am constantly hearing about how bad Minnesota hunter are and they shouldn't be allowed to "hunt' or "spend" money in their part of the world? Help me out I don't get it. I work hard for a living and I am a busy person. When I take time away from my family and my job I want to go and see birds and shoot birds! Am I a bad person or a bad hunter because of that or is it something people have against Minnesotans? I know we talk funny but come on give a guy a break.

What "other states" are you referring to?

My guess is you will run into a certain amount of this in most any state and that it represents a very small minority of the citizens of the state. Probably some ill informed resident hunter of that state that feels non-residents infringe on his hunting grounds. So don't be too quick to judge based on a couple of comments. I'm sure there have been people in South Dakota accused of the things you stated. But trust me, vast majority of people here in SD do not share that view. Especially in the smaller communities around the state. Hunting provides an economic boom for these small towns and they truly appreciate the business.

Well first of all I deal with hunters from many states. No state has a corner on good or bad hunters. The majority of out of state hunters that come to South Dakota are from Minnesota, so we have more experience with them. My neighbors are probably as bad as any group. The worst that I ever heard of was the group that stuck a shotgun in the chest of a guy who wanted them to leave his land. That group was from Minnesota. Of all the hunters that I have had hunt here all but a couple would be welcome back anytime. I do have a group that never block, they just follow their dogs around. That is not the most effective way to get pheasants, but it is how they want to hunt.

If it makes you feel any better. My friends in Eastern Montana (with more acres then you can imagine) would much rather, and are much more likely to give permission to a Minnesota hunter then a hunter or a group of hunters from the Western part of their own state. For sure!

Come hunt in Colorado. We're to busy disliking Texans to notice some yahoo from Minnesota :D

In my experience Kansans have been the most welcoming. Duck hunting in Arkansas is a different story. They are not too fond of outsiders, especially people from North Carolina for some reason.

Try being from CA, everytime I go out of state to hunt we have to explain to everyone that we dont know how to surf and that Ive never met a movie star :rolleyes: haha

On my trip to pick up my new Britt pup in Kansas. :thumbsup:
The Kansas folks that I met were TOTALLY, first class, everywhere. Motel, restaurants, gas station. Good people, for sure.:cheers:
Seemed they enjoyed a old MN guy stopping by. I'm OK with the KS folks.:cool:

im with you all on the people from KANSAS being real down to earth or salt of the earth people at least the folks at the stores gas stations restaurants ETC.
i have met a few iffy hunters that road hard hard & shoot from vehicles there but they were friendly to me just the same???

florida was just horrible rude hunters cut throat hunting tactics & everybody with there hands out for $$$ both homeless people & ranch owners with thousands of acres of land that only allow PAY TO PLAY

to be honest goldenboy you are always going to have locals who dont care for the out of staters killing there game deer pheasants elk ETC... we can do nothing about that but then again there are always good nice folks in the same state as well its just who we meet & when...

i was frustrated 2 yrs ago while in MN 10-15 miles from the canadian border deer hunting & all i seen was car load after carload of wisconsin license plates after about 15 vehicles & 2 groups of guys parking at my trail head i was pissed & wondered why guys from WI come to MN to hunt deer they have way more deer in WI then in MN but what could i do!!! there was more out of state hunters driving around then MN plates that type of situation will get under most hunters skin like it or not!!!???

i assume many locals may be rubbed the wrong way if they lost hunting access to a private peace of land they always hunted for free to a out of state hunter who can & will PAY TO PLAY many locals have lost there hunting spots to out of stater hunters with deep pockets & they have all the write to be pissed off but what can you do there is always going to be somebody who PAYS TO PLAY & many many people just wont ever do that so???

I have no problem with the Wisconsin hunters in MN, same with the ND fishermen coming into MN.
However.:eek: MOST ALL the slot limits, possession limits, and SOOOO many other restrictions imposed on us locals are because of the "cooler fillers" coming from out of state. Sorry Y'all it's true.:(

Only time I've been bunched into a group and complained about was here, on the forum, my Montana Husker. He was always talking about "out of staters".

I think Montana folks are the friendliest most helpful people anywhere.
However:eek: Those first generation, you know, the ones that have just moved in, become residents are the worst people I've come across. Think they own the state and everything in it.:rolleyes:
You can tell who they are in a second.
Those good old boys 4-5th generation will have you in for supper and help you plan tomorrows hunt.:thumbsup:

Small munstlander, I would have to agree with you about us Florida folks. Like 65% of the population here, I come from somewhere else and have made Florida home for about 30 years. I was superised to find out that every inch of land down here is owned by someone or some company. Even most of the lands that appear to be state land is privately owned and leased to the state. For someone to come into Florida from out of state and try to hunt with no connections would be hard and expensive. Some of us have found a Florida Native, owned piece of land where we can hunt wild hogs at a reasonable price and the people who own it are very nice people. One of our group wanted to try another piece of property once so a group of us went there. As we were leaving one of the fellows in the group who has hunted Africa several times commented that plains game in RSA was cheaper than wild hogs on that place. As far as bird hunting goes, the prices can run into four figures for one day. That is part of the reason I hunt Kansas and other places. I also like to hunt wild birds, not pen raised releases and I like to meet and mingle with the people out there.

I do hear some complaining. I always chalk it up to some minor jealously from people who wish they had the free time and cash to take trips and enjoy themselves instead of of grinding it out every day. I know how they feel on occasion, it makes it a little harder to drive to work when I pass a guy pulling a boat or in a truck with a few dogs in the kennels in back.

Back