any ointments or creams for irritated skin

HolyMoses

my dogs underbelly is red red red. been hunting in some pretty nasty stuff the last two days and even with the skid plate on, he is getting beat up.

i have some silver sulfadiazine cream for the bad spots, but does anybody put any other lotions or creams on their hunting partners to give some relief. i will say, it doesn't appear to bother him, but it looks like it cannot be comfortable.

Use the EMT gell, or nitrofurazone spray, if your dog can take it! Other wise use aloe vera cream, I got that in a gallon from Sam's, has Vitamin E, aloe vera, and other niceties, at a bargin. Might want to use a breast plate vest to cut back on injuries. some dogs do and some dogs don't get raw even in the same cover. I sure hate to run my hand under my dog and have him jump and wince! Usually heals fast, rest, three of four days, light scabbed over and you have look at the watery serum ozzing out. I had a great big Pointer, who did this repeatedly to his nuts, I ended up using an athletic support cup , with alterations!

Use the EMT gell, or nitrofurazone spray, if your dog can take it! Other wise use aloe vera cream, I got that in a gallon from Sam's, has Vitamin E, aloe vera, and other niceties, at a bargin. Might want to use a breast plate vest to cut back on injuries. some dogs do and some dogs don't get raw even in the same cover. I sure hate to run my hand under my dog and have him jump and wince! Usually heals fast, rest, three of four days, light scabbed over and you have look at the watery serum ozzing out. I had a great big Pointer, who did this repeatedly to his nuts, I ended up using an athletic support cup , with alterations!

i think i have some aloe vera in the cabinet. thanks.

Or you could just get a GSP:D:D

what about for noses? That is my dogs primary problem area.. By the end of a hunt her nose is sliced up and bleading. Vaseline perhaps?

what about for noses? That is my dogs primary problem area.. By the end of a hunt her nose is sliced up and bleading. Vaseline perhaps?

I keep seeing neosporin or vaseline across the net, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that if a dog digests vaseline it can be bad for them?

He is coming back around. I did put a little aloe on him. I could tell yesterday he was uncomfortable because he couldnt stay laying down for more than a few minutes at a time.

Far and away better than Vaseline is Vermont's original "Bag balm". Comes in the green tin.

Google bag balm. You can find it at farm stores or online many places. I know Tractor supply has carried it.

Yea bag balm is amazing stuff. Work as much into the skin as possible because they will certainly try and lick it off. I got a tin of bag balm from walgreens and I think it was about 10 bucks.

Far and away better than Vaseline is Vermont's original "Bag balm". Comes in the green tin.

Google bag balm. You can find it at farm stores or online many places. I know Tractor supply has carried it.

Bag Balm is a "must have" in a bird hunters kit.

EMT gel has its place too but not for the OPs question.

NB

I would also recommend getting the dog a vest that covers a larger area than a Skid Plate. I've used vests from Cabelas for many years but I see they no longer make the one I use. Sylmar Dog Wear out of Colorado make one that is almost identical. I have a Sylmar body Guard Dog Vest on my Brittany. They work great an provide more protection that the Skid Plate.

http://www.sylmardogwear.com/outdoors.htm#bg

holy moses you can get utter balm at fleet farm in Plymouth.

yup, i am planning on getting some. i always saw it hanging in the checkout and always wondered what people used it for.

it is amazing how "thick" it is out there yet. we were in by the ski jump on saturday and it is a jungle back there. I hadnt been back there in a few years and was pretty surprised to see it like that. makes for some tough hunting, especially with a far ranging dog.

ended up getting a bird in the powerlines by watercress though, so it wasn't a completely wasted day.

I would also recommend getting the dog a vest that covers a larger area than a Skid Plate. I've used vests from Cabelas for many years but I see they no longer make the one I use. Sylmar Dog Wear out of Colorado make one that is almost identical. I have a Sylmar body Guard Dog Vest on my Brittany. They work great an provide more protection that the Skid Plate.

http://www.sylmardogwear.com/outdoors.htm#bg

i was having a hard time keeping the skid plate on him, so i was already looking at more of a "vest" type.

going to need one soon anyway since the temps are dropping.

Back