All My Shotguns

CZ is very tempting right now they have 100 dollar rebate. Ive read it’s somewhat common the barrels are off on them. Anyone experienced this? They feel pretty good when I pull them up in the store.

I started with my first SxS back about 20 years ago. It was a 12b LC Smith from the early 40's. I have had a few since then, but have settled on my current lot of a 1942 16b and a 1905 12b. I also shoot a newer Citori White Lightening in 16b and am growing fond of it after one season.

Now, my REAL problem is that I bought my first London gun a few years ago and that is about all I want. The feel and handling is all it is cracked up to be. I bought it used for a great price. It is in remarkable shape and it has shot a lot of birds. It was built sometime between 1874-1885, but was rebarreled (sleeved) in Birmingham in 1962. The maker is a well known outworker with a lot of patents, but only made a few guns in his name. I love having something really different in the inventory.
Beautiful guns

CZ is very tempting right now they have 100 dollar rebate. Ive read it’s somewhat common the barrels are off on them. Anyone experienced this? They feel pretty good when I pull them up in the store.
Bought the Bobwhite G2. Liked it but both barrels centered about 3 '' to the side. The finish is also not as tough as they say either. I didn't learn anything as I turned around and bought the all-terrain ultralight o/u. 1st time out couldn't hit a strait away clay with the 1st shot for anything. Patterned it and it shoots the bottom barrel about 4'' low!! I shot a turkey with the bottom barrel this year at 30 yards. Covered his noggin and hit him in the lower neck with a few in the breast. Also, the stocks come about 15'' long and as I found out when I cut it down, they have a fake finish that looks good but is not impregnated into the wood like stain does. I wound up with some chips while filing the wrong way. I know some folks that have them and like them though so, could be my luck. I'm looking at some other Turks but I'm kind of worried that they come from the same factory.

Whats everyones pick for a sxs under a grand?
Like others have said, used. New CZs are supposed to be stout, but to me shoulder about like a 2x4 from Lowe’s.

I bought all three of these well under $1000 in the last 5 years.

12 gauge Simson from 60s, 6# 11oz

An unmarked German 16 from 1919 likely a Sauer action with killer wood (under half your budget), 5# 15 oz.

20 gauge Ugartechea, 5# 10 oz, new to me as of a month ago.

Last edited:
I was looking at the new weatherby Orion sxs 20 gauge the other day. It could do without the weatherby stamped on it and was a tad heavy be better if it was a half pound lighter. lop was too long for me but would be nice for a tall guy.

I do have 2 Dickinsons, love them both but are 2k and up.
Dad has the plain jane Dickinson Estate in 16 guage and has been his primary gun for 10 years or so now and he really likes it. They're in the $1400-$1700 range now it looks like based on my quick check on gunbroker. I remember when Cabelas first started selling them and they were $900.

Like everything else though, the more embellishments and fancier wood drives the price higher.

I bought my first shotgun at 15. I was working on a farm in eastern Oregon and saved up my entire summers wages to buy a Niko 12 gauge pump back in 1983. It fit me well and I shot it for years and shot it well. Since then I have bought and sold many shotguns, not as a collector but trying to find the best shotgun for myself. I have settled on a Remington 1100 with a Remington SPR as my turkey, waterfowl and backup for upland. They aren't expensive but they fit well and I shoot them well enough..............I do miss that Niko through.

My first O/U was a CZ Southpaw Sterling. Worked well initially and then started discharging both barrels with 1 trigger pull. Set that gun aside for several years and pulled it back out this year with the same result. Contacted CZ 3 weeks ago and they sent shipping paperwork. Sent the gun off and got it back a couple of days ago and it’s working very well. Customer service was great and I hope the repair will remain! No charge either.

I bought my first shotgun at 15. I was working on a farm in eastern Oregon and saved up my entire summers wages to buy a Niko 12 gauge pump back in 1983. It fit me well and I shot it for years and shot it well. Since then I have bought and sold many shotguns, not as a collector but trying to find the best shotgun for myself. I have settled on a Remington 1100 with a Remington SPR as my turkey, waterfowl and backup for upland. They aren't expensive but they fit well and I shoot them well enough..............I do miss that Niko through.

maybe a first gun is like a first girl

My first O/U was a CZ Southpaw Sterling. Worked well initially and then started discharging both barrels with 1 trigger pull. Set that gun aside for several years and pulled it back out this year with the same result. Contacted CZ 3 weeks ago and they sent shipping paperwork. Sent the gun off and got it back a couple of days ago and it’s working very well. Customer service was great and I hope the repair will remain! No charge either.
I bet the patterns were awesome tho

Have CZ Teal (Cabela's Exclusive) in 16 gauge. I pattern it at 30 yards and it shot probably around 60/40 which was fine with me. It has fixed chokes I/C and Mod. Haven't had any issues with it, had it for a little over a year.

Have CZ Teal (Cabela's Exclusive) in 16 gauge. I pattern it at 30 yards and it shot probably around 60/40 which was fine with me. It has fixed chokes I/C and Mod. Haven't had any issues with it, had it for a little over a year.

Workin' like it's supposed to work. Choked right for pheasant. A keeper.

Back