Advice

Nick

Guys,

I could really use some advice. My 13 year old black lab had her second major seizure in the last three weeks this morning. This one was worse than the last and lasted about 5 minutes long. During the first one, I tried to wipe the drool from her mouth and she bit my finger. This morning, I approached her after the seizure had subsided and she tried to bite me again.

My daughter was attacked by a dog when she was 4. She lost a tear duct in one of her eyes and had to have plastic surgery on her face. It was my wife's aunt's dog and they didn't put it down. I was very upset that they didn't put the dog down.

Given my history and the quality of life my lab has now, I'm trying to make the right decision. I couldn't forgive myself if she hurt someone.

I know this is a tough thing to ask advice on, but I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, Nick

Nick,
I know this is extremely hard. While nobody can make your decision for you, I think by the nature of your post you know what that decision is. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Your best option would be to contact your vet.

However, it is of my opinion when it comes to my four legged friends that qaulity of life out weighs quantity. May sound cold hearted but that's how I do it with my dogs.

Everyone hates to have to put down a dog and I am right there with them on that. But, it doesn't make you a bad person to have to do it. It is sometimes the more humane thing to do then not to do.

If you do decide to do it make sure your right by their side. It's what they want and only fair to them. I didn't do it with my first one and I regret it to this day. That dog would have died for me and I sent him off without him being able to say his goodbye to me.

However, it is of my opinion when it comes to my four legged friends that qaulity of life out weighs quantity. May sound cold hearted but that's how I do it with my dogs.

Everyone hates to have to put down a dog and I am right there with them on that. But, it doesn't make you a bad person to have to do it. It is sometimes the more humane thing to do then not to do.

If you do decide to do it make sure your right by their side. It's what they want and only fair to them. I didn't do it with my first one and I regret it to this day. That dog would have died for me and I sent him off without him being able to say his goodbye to me.

I totally agree, I have had to do it twice now and it never is easy but sometimes it is the right thing to do. My vet let me take the injection last time so I could give it to her on the farm where she loved to be.

Thoughts are with you.

Nick

Thanks for the responses so far. I just talked to my vet (who is also my uncle). He believes it is a brain tumor causing the seizures since she's never had them before. He said she could keep having them or go months without one. He did agree that the only real worry was that she could hurt someone if they didn't know what was going on and tried to help her. I'll keep thinking about.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm for taking the dog to the vet before making a fateful decision. Might be a medication puts everything right.

Sounds like shes hurting from something. I'd be 99% sure she doesn't mean anything by the attempted biting. Its natural for her to do it if she's in some kind of pain or just afraid of what's going on. Dont hold it against her.
Seek the advice of a good Vet. Good luck in your decision.

Sounds like shes hurting from something. I'd be 99% sure she doesn't mean anything by the attempted biting. Its natural for her to do it if she's in some kind of pain or just afraid of what's going on. Dont hold it against her.
Seek the advice of a good Vet. Good luck in your decision.

I am definitely in no way holding it against her. I have no doubt that it is a result of disorientation, fear, pain, etc. My only point on the biting is that I can't be with her 24/7 and I wouldn't want one of my kids or their friends or someone else to be at the house and unknowingly try to help her if she were to have another one and end up getting hurt. I really appreciate all the input.

You have done testing and ruled out "excercise induced cardiomiopithy" right? It has a result which is in line with this response. Sometimes, they drop over an seem comatose, others thrash around to try to get their equilibrium. It is genentic and epidemic in labs. There are some medications before and during the seizure. Important to shade the eyes and keep her from swallowing her tongue. As they get older it becomes pronounced, more seizures, more often, etc. with out controlling it. In the episode the dogs recover fairly fast. Lab breeders are trying to genetically eliminate this, by not breeding both Positive parents to each other. It takes two to make it syptomatic. Others are a carriers with out symptoms. I would rule that out first! Next, hypo-thyroid condition, or or hypoglucemic/diabetes. All are endemic with labs. Simple blood test should tell the tale. She is 13 years old, just retire her to life as a house pet. Bring on another pup to carry on.

Last edited:

That may be the best advice I have ever read on this forum. :10sign:

Nothing I can add, really, except to say that I hope you get the most out of whatever time you may have left with your beloved dog, and my heart goes out to you.

At her age the likelyhood of a tumor goes up! You might need to get some bloodwork done to rule out liver disease and get a picture of potential problems. Results may not be conclusive. I'd be afraid of her hurting someone. It will not matter that she did not meant to or not if she severely injures someone.

I once had a client whose dog was suffering badly from chronic ear disease. At thirteen she did not wish to spend anything much to try and fix the problem and treatment required anesthesia to do any cleaning or treatments. I begged her to either have the ear canal ablated or put the dog down, because he was in such pain. She refused. One day at a large marina on the lake the dog fell in and to help the dog to get back on the dock she reached for the collar, and the dog snapped at her hand. One bite paralysed her hand. Three subsequent surgeries on the hand did not restore function at all. She realized it was now a different ballgame and put the dog down. Her dog was enduring life with pain, not enjoying it. In situations like yours, I would ask myself about the consequences likey to occur, and is the dog having a good pain free life? Socially ostracizing her to avoid injury to someone else IMO is cruel, because she is clueless of the why (?). If it is a brain tumor it will be getting worse and if it is epilepsy, without treatment it will also get worse, though maybe somewhat more slowly. I would also ask myself, " Who am I doing this for? Me or her?
Sometimes the most kind thing you can do is to say "I will hurt and you won't have to." Sometimes life is just the pits and one has to do the hard thing. Ultimately, you have to decide what you can live with. If it can be fixed try to do so. If not, or if funds won't permit (and often this is true!), you should feel no guilt...for you have done the best you could. I don't think "ignoring" is a valid option for you my friend. God bless in what ever you decide.

Lost a great friend

First, I want to thank everyone for the advice/opinions. After watching my old girl have 3 seizures in a 24 hour period, I decided it was time to let her go. We said goodbye to Lucy around 5pm last night. My vet (uncle) put her down in the back of my pickup truck. I live in Overland Park, so I couldn't bury her at home. My mom and dad live a little further south on 5 acres. My dad dug a grave yesterday afternoon under a willow tree next to the pond. We buried her there last night with some tail feathers and my hunting vest. We are sure going to miss her, but I'm glad she's no longer suffering. She provided me with some great memories and a lifetime of companionship.

Thanks again to everyone.

Condolences

Sorry to hear about Lucy. My hunting dogs are my friends. Lucy was yours. You did the right thing for her. Lucy would have expected no less of you. May she reside in fields never empty of birds and where the sun never sets!

When you meet again that tail will be wagging my friend!:)

Nick, sorry about Lucy. You did the right thing by her. I love that you buried her with the vest and some feathers. Very classy! Let the good memories live on!

Nick, you just proved to her that she was right to give her love, her trust , and her life to you. If it helps at all I believe you did the right thing for her. God bless you sir, because it is never easy to do the right thing in this situation. I would not have it any other way either. There would be something wrong if it were to be easy. I agree with it being a classy move to bury her as you did. Again God bless and comfort you and your family in the loss of your friend and loyal companion. I am with you in your grief.
Bill

Back