A coyote stole my bird.

moellermd

Super Moderator
I was hunting today and shot a rooster. It was not the greatest shot as it just kind of wobbled in the air with two down legs and then fell down hard into a snowbank on the other side of a slough about 100 yards away. I go over and start hunting that slough headed towards were the bird fell. The dogs start barking like crazy and I see a coyote running through the cattails. I keep going to were the bird fell and find a football shaped impression in the snow, lots of feathers and coyote prints in the snow. No rooster prints were anywhere near the feathers.

That coyote must of thought he was on the good side of the man upstairs to have dinner fall from the sky for him.

I was hunting today and shot a rooster. It was not the greatest shot as it just kind of wobbled in the air with two down legs and then fell down hard into a snowbank on the other side of a slough about 100 yards away. I go over and start hunting that slough headed towards were the bird fell. The dogs start barking like crazy and I see a coyote running through the cattails. I keep going to were the bird fell and find a football shaped impression in the snow, lots of feathers and coyote prints in the snow. No rooster prints were anywhere near the feathers.

That coyote must of thought he was on the good side of the man upstairs to have dinner fall from the sky for him.

Could not be, Coyotes don't eat pheasants.:D LOL:cheers:

And there are no foxes anywhere near FC's place...:cool:

Nope.:D:D all get bracelets. you will not find one here right now,not on my section including the neighbors. snow and tracks kind of tell the story. But when they show up, They get treated like a Texas tresspasser, keep sootin till they quit wigglin.

Last year in ND, shot a bird that appeared to be hit ahrd over picked corn. Dog was on a break in the truck. As I hurried to the spot, I heard squawk. Got to the marked spot, no bird. Looked around, found a few feather, right next to a badger hole! Thieving robbing, bas#%&T! :mad:, then laughed at the whole situation and gave the badger a salute.:cheers:

Last edited:
Two years ago 3 of us were hunting a quarter of CRP and when we were at the far end a rooster flushed. One of the guys hit it and we watched it fly away. After about a 1/4 mile it drops like a rock behind a vacant farmstead. That bird made our limit so we decided to walk back to our vehicles and then drive over and pick it up. When we got to the vehicles we took a break and drank a beer since we were done for the day. I suppose 30 minutes lapsed before we drove over behind the farmstead, we came around the trees and a large hawk flew off. We found the pheasant alright, with the breast totally eaten out of it. Damn hawk. :mad:

I dropped a bird on the other side of the creek several years back. Dogs could not find it, so we carried on and worked our way down and crossed over and back up the creek. Came to the area the bird dropped, looked around and the dogs made a retrieve on the dead bird. Took it to hand and the breast had been eating out. A redtail was perched in a nearby tree, all fat and comfortable.

I always hate to get involved in a discussion like this.
You know? studies indicate that when the pheasant population is gone, yotes eat very few pheasants.:eek:
We gonna have to do some studies where there are actually pheasants, maybe you think?:cheers:;)

hawks sit on these long field waterers- don't even fly when the Britt's get close- they are watching- I've seen them raise up and fly over mine on point- even had a few swoop down-

the way I see it is they are looking for an easy meal

two weeks ago we were in the cut corn- 2 Britt's come to a stange stop and look- 200 yards before I get close enough- 2 coyotes stand up and trott off- was try to change birdshot for slugs- yikes- thought for a moment mine were going to go after them- glad to say they only follwed for aways

a bit later- got to the spot- they were bedded down- could see it

In 2 separate instances one of our pheasant camps had a Blue Heeler named Shelley that liked pheasants more than we knew. Once we came back from hunting mid day and set our 6 birds out on picnic table which is where we would clean them at days end. This was right by the house. We came back at days end to find them all gone. Shelly had snatched each one and buried them in the yard like a squirrel with a nut. Then later in season a group of hunters had similar fate only with 9 birds. All gone and buried. nicest dog you'd ever meet but sneeky as heck.

Needless to say Shelly just got run over by her master a couple weeks ago. She was old and deaf.

Every once in awhile the owner would find pheasant bones scattered about the yard.

if you have birds laying on a table- my Britt's will grab them- hope they wouldn't bury or eat them- hope they'd bring them to me

Forgot about this one. We were in Onaka SD one year and went in to the bar, came out to see a cat jump out of the truck. Them field lions stole 4 of our birds. Started looking around and someone living a house away had a bunch of those dam things. I hate cats. Next day we locked em in side the cab.:mad:

hawks sit on these long field waterers- don't even fly when the Britt's get close- they are watching- I've seen them raise up and fly over mine on point- even had a few swoop down-

the way I see it is they are looking for an easy meal

I can relate to this. Last month I went to KS. Birds were hard to come by, but we got a few. One day we were pushing some CRP down to a corner. When we were about 100 yards from the corner, a hawk swooped down at the ground, and a rooster hopped up about 5 feet into the air. The hawk flew up about 30' and then came down again, this time the rooster took off and was gone. Stinkin' hawk robbed us of that rooster because the rooster had no where to run, and in another 50 yards we'd have been within range! Still a neat experience though...that hawk knew what he was doing!

Forgot about this one. We were in Onaka SD one year and went in to the bar, came out to see a cat jump out of the truck. Them field lions stole 4 of our birds. Started looking around and someone living a house away had a bunch of those dam things. I hate cats. Next day we locked em in side the cab.:mad:

the cats- or the birds

Lost ducks on two occasions this year, one gaddy and one spoony this year that I set down while I went to another area and did not want to carry. Most likely coyots where I was.

LOL.

A buddy and I were hunting in SW Wisconsin (Lafayette Co) when I kicked up a rare covey of WI quail along a fence row. My buddy was up a little hill in some woods where the birds flew when I heard a shot. Kind of surprised me that he would shoot a quail.

I asked him how he shot it. He said he saw the quail blast past him and as he was looking at it streak through the woods saw a white flash and the bird disappeared. He walked over and saw a cat with the bird in it's mouth. Her thought that cat jumped at least 5 feet in the air and caught that quail on the wing.

On less cat and one shotless bird though.

Back