32,000 football fields of tree's missing in Iowa

I work in the forest products industry and do a lot of business with sawmills in Iowa. Logging operations are always the ones blamed and condemned for the loss of forest habitat, but the #1 & #2 losses worldwide are: #1 Agriculture and #2 Development for homes, roads, etc..

I find the first paragraph interesting - Trees are gone forever???
Cant they replant trees?? I just skimmed the article but I don't recall it stating these are gone from homes or roads etc. It mentioned corn and soybeans.

Below is the email signature from a friend who owns his own printing business. 99% of email sigs say to consider the environment before printing - his not so much :D

Notice: It's OK to print this email. Paper is a biodegradable, renewable, sustainable product made from trees. Growing and harvesting trees provides jobs for millions of Americans. Working forests are good for the environment and provide clean air and water, wildlife habitat and carbon storage. Thanks to improved forest management, we have more trees in America today than we had 100 years ago.

I WISH THEY WOULD CUT DOWN SOME OLD GROWTH IN NORTHERN WI. There's less and less grouse habitat in the National Forests up there.

Ag is king in Iowa:thumbsup:. We need to stay number one in hogs and you can't stop the biggest welfare collectors in america farmers:thumbsup: No matter what they do. crush roads with hog manure tanks OK, bulldoze river bottoms OK, spray all sorts of insectacidesOK,pollute water OK, = huge subsidy. Bigger you are the more you get:thumbsup:

Ag is king in Iowa:thumbsup:. We need to stay number one in hogs and you can't stop the biggest welfare collectors in america farmers:thumbsup: No matter what they do. crush roads with hog manure tanks OK, bulldoze river bottoms OK, spray all sorts of insectacidesOK,pollute water OK, = huge subsidy. Bigger you are the more you get:thumbsup:

:10sign::thumbsup:

I work in the forest products industry and do a lot of business with sawmills in Iowa. Logging operations are always the ones blamed and condemned for the loss of forest habitat, but the #1 & #2 losses worldwide are: #1 Agriculture and #2 Development for homes, roads, etc..

Yes this is right. They always blame private Industry For the ills of the world. The foresting industry has a very good record of cut and replant history. You have a christmas tree that real in your home this past season.??? It was probably grow in Washington or Oregon. They cut and replant just like farming. :)

I find the first paragraph interesting - Trees are gone forever???
Cant they replant trees?? I just skimmed the article but I don't recall it stating these are gone from homes or roads etc. It mentioned corn and soybeans.

Below is the email signature from a friend who owns his own printing business. 99% of email sigs say to consider the environment before printing - his not so much :D

Notice: It's OK to print this email. Paper is a biodegradable, renewable, sustainable product made from trees. Growing and harvesting trees provides jobs for millions of Americans. Working forests are good for the environment and provide clean air and water, wildlife habitat and carbon storage. Thanks to improved forest management, we have more trees in America today than we had 100 years ago.

I WISH THEY WOULD CUT DOWN SOME OLD GROWTH IN NORTHERN WI. There's less and less grouse habitat in the National Forests up there.

Nice post Upland;) Some of the best ruffed grouse habitat I've hunted is a direct result of logging. Once the old growth was removed mother nature took it from there. Wildlife that was once scarce, returned in good number.

You now Nick,

This is right also, Mother nature will reclaim any thing, if its left to her. I've seen it many times. Forest Fires they actual help the forest and occur naturally, The man made one are not good but the land changes at nature wills. Some of the best Big game hunting occurs after 3 or 4 years after a burn. There is more food for them. :)

Last edited:
Yes this is right. They always blame private Industry For the ills of the world. The foresting industry has a very good record of cut and replant history. You have a christmas tree that real in your home this past season.??? It was probably grow in Washington or Oregon. They cut and replant just like farming. :)

Typically I would agree with this, but not in regards to hog farming. Those farms are a real scourge on the landscape. All you have to do is get downwind of one of those places. If that isn't bad enough, the waste they generate ruins the ground water of all surrounding property. I have family directly affected by this. Most of these are mega huge operations that bend and break every rule possible. Pork is a cutthroat big business.:(

Typically I would agree with this, but not in regards to hog farming. Those farms are a real scourge on the landscape. All you have to do is get downwind of one of those places. If that isn't bad enough, the waste they generate ruins the ground water of all surrounding property. I have family directly affected by this. Most of these are mega huge operations that bend and break every rule possible. Pork is a cutthroat big business.:(

Tom I have not said anything about hog farms. I don't know a thing about that in that state, except that the whole state stink because of that. I have been though there many a time. What i stated it balls on correct. I'm not looking for an aguement I just stated my thoughts on the post. :thumbsup:

I WISH THEY WOULD CUT DOWN SOME OLD GROWTH IN NORTHERN WI. There's less and less grouse habitat in the National Forests up there.[/QUOTE]

You've got that right! The National and State forests are a disaster. Old trees dying and falling over. Canopy closure blocking out the sun and not a twig for a deer to browse, or cover for birds. Almost half set aside in wilderness or pseudo-wilderness designations. And while all of this valuable timber goes to waste, people are moving away because the jobs are gone, schools closing. And the left tells us "recreation will fuel the economy". Well hunting is a form of recreation and people are leaving for better hunting grounds.

There is no old growth logging in MN. NO WHERE.
It all falls down and rots naturally.

Fact is, up North in the deep snow country Winter logging will be very beneficial to wildlife, especially game animals and game birds. Logging trails expose tones of brows, twigs, grasses, forbs, etc.
An abundance of readily available nutritious tops and branches.
Take for examples, Aspen (Poplar) Jack Pine, Maple, Ash, Oak. These trees are now 3rd 4th generation. 40-50 years is the life span of Aspen, Jack Pine, even Red Oak and ash.
Logging is VERY wildlife friendly. Lots of good jobs too. :thumbsup:

There is no old growth logging in MN. NO WHERE.
It all falls down and rots naturally.

Fact is, up North in the deep snow country Winter logging will be very beneficial to wildlife, especially game animals and game birds. Logging trails expose tones of brows, twigs, grasses, forbs, etc.
An abundance of readily available nutritious tops and branches.
Take for examples, Aspen (Poplar) Jack Pine, Maple, Ash, Oak. These trees are now 3rd 4th generation. 40-50 years is the life span of Aspen, Jack Pine, even Red Oak and ash.
Logging is VERY wildlife friendly. Lots of good jobs too. :thumbsup:

Yes this is the way of Mother nature. She is a bad mofo. She knows what she is doing for sure. :)

Wayne you are spot on on this. I've hunted old growth forests on many times . I would rather hunt 3,4 or 5. year burned areas, for deer, and Elk. There is just more food for them.:thumbsup:

Out west they let it grow till a forest fire fixes it, and threatens towns, water supply, and homes too! Afterward the torrential rains on exposed slopes creates a flood to damage more. We need more aggressive fire and logging to get a balance. After all lodge pole pine needs to be heated to open up the pine cone, so it can reseed, just not 120,000 acres at a time.

I think once again, those for the unbridled raping of our habitat have taken this thread off coarse.

and we are talking about "IOWA"

"Based upon a report by the forest inventory analysis division of the U.S. Forest Service, it appears that the reduction of woodland acres is primarily a result of farmers clearing woodlands to take advantage of record high prices for corn and soybeans.

Nobody is beating up logging or saying logging is not a good forest/habitat management tool when used right. Iowa isn't exactly a place the logging Ind calls home.

They are talking fence rows, shelter belts, groves, Etc being removed for growing more corn and soybeans.

I think once again, those for the unbridled raping of our habitat have taken this thread off coarse.

and we are talking about "IOWA"

"Based upon a report by the forest inventory analysis division of the U.S. Forest Service, it appears that the reduction of woodland acres is primarily a result of farmers clearing woodlands to take advantage of record high prices for corn and soybeans.

Nobody is beating up logging or saying logging is not a good forest/habitat management tool when used right. Iowa isn't exactly a place the logging Ind calls home.

They are talking fence rows, shelter belts, groves, Etc being removed for growing more corn and soybeans.
I agree, A little story about habitat on the great plains. I have an area of a state wildlife property, where I have harvested around a 100 pheasants over the past 15 years, it was a low ditch area, right along the road, because it was somewhat wet, and with cottonwoods along it, it was avoided by most pheasant hunters, I spent years camping under the trees, and listening to the sound of rustling leaves in the wind. 3 years ago, I went to this familiar place to find that the trees for a quarter mile were gone and reduced to smoldering stumps, ( of coarse they we cottonwood and are difficult to burn!) and destroyed the habitat. The coup de grace was that pheasants forever PAID for this thing to "enhance" pheasant habitat. In this county there are virtually no trees anywhere, except those on residential lots in town! Just bean stubble, replacing milo, corn stubble, and a vague reminder of a shimmering, pheasant holding tree line!

I have an area of a state wildlife property, where I have harvested around a 100 pheasants over the past 15 years, it was a low ditch area, right along the road, because it was somewhat wet, and with cottonwoods along it, it was avoided by most pheasant hunters, I spent years camping under the trees, and listening to the sound of rustling leaves in the wind.

I'm going off topic a bit:eek:; I remember this area you describe every fall, that is, when the cotton wood leaves start making their music. We had a discussion regarding this area a few years ago (on this forum). For some reason what you described stuck with me:confused:

Nick

Yep I see more shelter belts going bye bye around my neck of the woods all the time--seems the farmstead is vacant and falls down or is torn down followed by the bulldozer and the trees are gone. A few more acres of corn and wind blown dust filling the ditch over winter--SAD :(

So I put up a small fight and plant more trees every year--I know it's a small local try at something better for the wildlife but try I must. This spring it will be another 1000 ft of red cedar and rocky Mt juniper (3 rows) and 1500 ft of Russian Olive in 3 rows, Also about 10 acres of food plots and 10 acres of native grass. :D

Join in the fight--there are many ways to help--and here is a good one, got a land owner that does a little habitat work--you know the milo strip you always get birds in or the tall grass plot--- stop in the local seed dealer and put a money credit in for him to use to do some of that habitat work with and have them let him know about the credit. :thumbsup:

Quit crying about the problem and become part of the solution. ;)

SDJIM, There it is! I like that a LOT!!
Your not blaming, Your doing!
I hope Your an example for the "gloom and Doomers"

Back