2nd hand Winner/Ideal bird report

jetjockey

Deleted so post doesn't turn into a pissing match. Was just trying to be helpful and tell folks there are a lot of birds near Winner.

Last edited:
J-Bar.. Hunted it last year in December and had a blast. We really could have limited every day. We learned a lot about late season birds as well. Hopefully we can do even better this year hunting in November.

We have a small group that will also be hunting J bar in November. We have never hunted it and are looking forward to spending 3 days there, and would welcome any tips or information you have about the property.

Me too at J Bar

I have a group of hunters going to J Bar also. We'll be hunting Nov. 10-12. When are each of you going?

My dad just dropped his pup off for summer camp near Winner. He got to run dogs with the trainer for a couple hours Friday evening. From the sounds of it, there are chicks everywhere, and very good adult numbers as well. The dogs that ran Friday had no problem finding birds, and my dad said there were chicks running everywhere. One of the dogs pointed a hen on her nest with a bunch of chicks. (don't worry, no birds were hurt, and the nest wasnt disturbed). From the sounds of it, the numbers are equally as good as the last few years, and maybe even better. Can't wait to go out in September to kill some sharptail and run dogs. Then we get to do it again in November with Uguide and roosters. Crossing my fingers the numbers are good at the Uguide camp we are hunting.

I thought it was illegal to work dogs on wild birds from April 15th thru July 31st. This on any land, private or public. Here's what it says in the Hunting Regulations Handbook:

Dog Training
No person may kill or capture any wild game birds
while training or running a dog except during open
seasons. Using pen-raised birds to train dogs is
permitted with certain restrictions:
•No person may train dogs on wild game birds
from Apr. 15-July 31 statewide

Good point. The published rule book is a great guide and although it does have changes from year to year the basic rules don't change and this one has been there for a long time.

You guys are right. And I asked to clarify. They have a cow pasture that usually doesn't have any wild birds in it and its great for working young dogs to learn how to handle. The trainer was showing my dad what to expect from a finished dog. However, it seems this year there are a few birds nesting where they usually don't. Sounds like it threw a monkey wrench in their training plans. They said there are birds everywhere this year.

Last edited:
I thought it was illegal to work dogs on wild birds from April 15th thru July 31st. This on any land, private or public. Here's what it says in the Hunting Regulations Handbook:

X2, I was sure of that myself

A rule that I beleive is taken with a big dose of salt.If you are walking your dog on private land and he accidently catchs a bird are you going to be arrested? Can we run our NAVHDA and AKC I think so because we do.

Back