28ga

AtTheMurph

I have owned a 28ga SxS for probably close to 15 years. My quail gun that I have used for early season pheasants as well on a couple of occasions. Never shooting more than one bird a session and probably none in the past.

I decided to take that thing out for he last day of hunting in Illinois this season, mostly because my dog is as old as the gun - 13.5yrs old and this might be his last go around. I killed my limit and one shot being at least 40 yards. Other was a drop dead bird at 30 yards. Really couldn't tell any difference between that and my normal 20ga in killing power. I shoot #5 from each.

The one thing I did notice is that the breasts on these two birds did not have even one pellet hole. Just dead birds. Eating them for dinner tonight while watching football.

I think 28ga may be like the Airforce smart weapons. The pellets only hit the heads or fly right up the poop chutes. :ROFLMAO:

I've used a 28ga for pheasants off and on for years. I decided this year to just use a 28ga as I seem to shoot it better/more consistently than any other gun. I reloaded my own ammo: 1oz #5 and #6 nickel plated shot. Every bird that flushed in range died, and interestingly, as you noted, all were head shots. Personally, I believe it was because I shoot the gun better and got out ahead of the bird. Now I'm hunting quail in NM. Same gun, same ammo (#6 shot), same experience. I am more comfortable with the 28ga, and though some don't agree, there is magic to the 28ga that doesn't exist with other gauges as far as patterning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kre
That was my choice as well. I have a 28ga Beretta 686 White Lightning and a 687 two barrel set (20/28). Both 28in bbls. I should have saved my money on the 20ga barrel. I've only used it a couple of times and then found that for whatever reason I don't shoot it as well. Maybe (probably?) mental, but for whatever reason, the 28ga works better for me. There is magic in the 28ga!

Not many guys have the confidence or shooting ability to go with a 28 gauge. Most prefer heavy and hot payloads, which generally aren't available (or necessary) in sub-gauge shotguns. I'm a 16 gauge shooter and it handles 1 ounce loads nicely, so I probably won't switch anytime soon, but I do like the idea of having a nice, light 28 gauge for grouse & woodcock, which is my main target.

Been shooting 28’s for 8-10 years, mostly for forest and prairie grouse…love them! I use a bit more choke than in bigger gauges…7.5 shot, may use 6 shot as well. I bought a Parker Repro 28 2 years ago, gonna have the chokes opened to true M/F this spring…will also hunt early season pheasants with it this fall.

The two guys I used to hunt with regularly both used 28ga. They met through me, and each were more accurate shots than I am. (I'm ok, but not great).

I think they wanted to see how well they shot as they progressed from 12 and 20 gauges, to the "?BPS" 28s. I know shells were more expensive for them, and one ordered by the case to make sure he had some at hand. They weren't competition shooters.

It might be that those whose skill is greater enjoy the challenge of using a lesser gauge.

Dunno. But the folks I've met using 28s were generally more accurate on the hunting field.

I love putting 8-10 shells in a breast pocket of my hunting shirt! I’m shooting 3/4-15/16 oz of shot, vs. 7/8-1oz in my 20 gauges…about the same…not much different, except when using 3” 20 gauge with 1-1 1/8 oz of shot.

Best quail load for sure. I have three 28's and argue with myself on which one to take out; the A400, 686, or 101.

About 30 years ago I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I had never owned a 28 or a sxs, so I bought a Ugartechea 28. Best money I ever spent. I don't hunt pheasants with it but with Winchester super x heavy loads its as good as any 20 in my opinion. I to get a lot of head or front of the body shots. I always attributed it to the light quick gun and I honestly think the heavy loads are faster.

I shoot my A400 28's 90% of the season, and the other 10% is my A400 20. No issues with bringing birds down. A couple guys I hunt with are in the same boat as me, we love carrying a 28 around vs something bigger and heavier.

I have a Franchi AL48, Beretta Silver Pigeon II, and Ruger Red Label in 28 ga. The little Franchi is my favorite shotgun.

Back