2023/2024 Pheasant Hunting Videos

That’s awesome. I can definitely relate to the face plant. If I don’t go down once a day I’m not working hard enough. Three birds with two shells, now that’s making the most of it

We SD boys can't help it. We're born pre-wired to road hunt as God intended.
I grew up in Elk Point SD but moved to northern Wisconsin over 30 years ago. I still scan the ditches and fence lines for birds no matter where I am, what time of year it is and whether I have a gun or not.... I started going back to hunt pheasants about 5 years ago and it's been incredible. Heading down Sunday for a week with both my boys, first time for the older one. Can't wait!!!!

I have dabbled with filming for the past couple of years and have have got some pretty good footage, including a single shot double on wild roosters that flushed 20 yards apart and happened to criss cross at just the right moment to drop and recover both. I run a GoPro on my head and a Shotkam but I have always struggled with decent editing. I was using the GoPro Quick app on both my laptop and phone but I just learned about CapCut and it is incredible!!! Free program with tons of features that are equal to or better than some of the expensive editing software. If anyone is looking at getting into it and don't want to invest in software, or even if you are already paying for one, I would definitely check it out. Here's a link to the introductory video that I found. It's pretty easy to learn and use too and there are loads of tutorials on YouTube to really step up the quality.

Close to road hunting? Let's go to the replay.
  • Driving the backroads home.
  • Gun uncased in the front seat.
  • Loaded.
  • Eyes scanning the ditches for movement.
100% fair chase ditch parrot. You are now an honorary member of the 2023 Jump Out Boys gang.
Love this. Always road hunt on the way home. Pheasant, coyote, etc.

This was my 11th trip to South Dakota to hunt the opener. The Yellow Labs were the stars of the show this year. We had several new hunters in the group this year and with the Labs help our recovery rate was about 95% over 4 days of hunting with 15 hunters! (Too many in my opinion) My 2 year old, Gordy, showed some major improvements from last year. I got to chat with Tom Dokken at Cabelas on Friday, that gave me a little more confidence!

This was my 11th trip to South Dakota to hunt the opener. The Yellow Labs were the stars of the show this year. We had several new hunters in the group this year and with the Labs help our recovery rate was about 95% over 4 days of hunting with 15 hunters! (Too many in my opinion) My 2 year old, Gordy, showed some major improvements from last year. I got to chat with Tom Dokken at Cabelas on Friday, that gave me a little more confidence!

Gordy did really well.

Just got back from our first trip to South Dakota this season. Way too much footage to stuff into one video so here's part one! Larry is going to be a stud if we can get him to start retrieving, and Marty is a stud once he's tired enough to hold points and not bump birds. Seemed like most of the birds we shot were young birds. I'll also never make the drive again with that many crops up. Either way, lots of fun.

This past weekend. Lots of corn still needing to be harvested. Hoping that will change here in the next week or so, but there is more precip forecasted for this weekend. Anyway...

Great video, as always. Love to watch Sage run that one down.

Threw this one together pretty quickly after work.. Second part of our South Dakota hunt. A couple SUPER young birds followed by a limit of big ol' roosters. Found something very exciting at the very end too.

I upload my videos to YouTube and then paste the link here. Do you have videos on your phone? If so, you could download the YouTube application and upload directly from your phone. Just a thought.
I'm not a big technology type.Im not sure I can do it.

Next weeks temps are in the mid 60’s so who knows if I’ll make the trip to SD like I planned. Either way, we killed a few Wisco birds in the meantime.

Your dogs clearly understand how to hunt wild, cagey birds. The point, creep, and re-point as the pheasant tries to escape is important IMO. My two Vizlas do this well. I watched a Tik-Tok of a GSP creeping and the commenters blasted the video saying they need to stay put until released. Probably what they want in a field trial but not as practical in the field. I love a pointer that will relocate and pin that rooster rather than let it escape on foot. You are clearly proud of your dogs and you accept them for what they do. I appreciate that. Good luck in SD

Your dogs clearly understand how to hunt wild, cagey birds. The point, creep, and re-point as the pheasant tries to escape is important IMO. My two Vizlas do this well. I watched a Tik-Tok of a GSP creeping and the commenters blasted the video saying they need to stay put until released. Probably what they want in a field trial but not as practical in the field. I love a pointer that will relocate and pin that rooster rather than let it escape on foot. You are clearly proud of your dogs and you accept them for what they do. I appreciate that. Good luck in SD
Appreciate that, Larry definitely started to figure out the running birds last trip.. hoping this trip he really dials it in and that Marty can pace himself a bit in the heat and hold a couple nice points.. oh, and it’d help (my bank account) if I could hit a few birds on the first shot.

Appreciate that, Larry definitely started to figure out the running birds last trip.. hoping this trip he really dials it in and that Marty can pace himself a bit in the heat and hold a couple nice points.. oh, and it’d help (my bank account) if I could hit a few birds on the first shot.
I’ve been knowing to send one a little quick and put a kill shot in with the second one. I prefer the challenge of speeding them up on the whiff and shooting the distance shot! 😂

Back