2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

We had one today that had those same white “root” things it had been eating. Have seen some earlier in the trip with the cilantro looking greens that I think were alfalfa leaves.

GS, I know those are faked videos...why??? Because I have read lots of posts from many of our all-stars here, that you must hunt in total silence and sneak up on the birds with out them knowing you are there, if you ever even dream of shooting one. Well done, love the kids in there! I will be out for just a bit saturday morning and a little more sunday for my opening weekend. Love this time of year...temps should finally be a bit more seasonal by the weekend....too many 70s here lately!
I hunted for about an hour today with sustained winds fo 35mph and gusting to 50mph. I have an addiction to pheasant hunting and the only prescription is more cowbell. Crushed two birds and brought another one down that quickly outran and outsmarted both dogs using the grass cover and tons of fresh pheasant scent to ghost on them.

On the noise factor, I agree with you Remy. While I don't look for ways to make noise, I took two short walks today going into the gale-force winds with both of my Vizslas. It should be noted as well that I had their beepers off today AND we hunted mostly grasses with trees or bushes amongst them. We were definitely in as much of stealth mode as you will find.

Those birds still knew we were there. They were running across the prairie trail and my wife sat in the pickup and watched one after scoot across into some CRP grassland as we walked on the inside of the tree row running along the trail. Noise may be a factor but it is fairly insignificant factor IMO. Gunshots, crashing through cattails, stepping on branches under the growth, and putting shells into your gun are unavoidable and alert every Roster in the area you are coming. The videos shared are fun to watch and mirror my hunting style. I am not afraid to call out hen or rooster with others and will give my dogs verbals to fetch and praise my dog at an equal volume. I may push a bird or two early and out of range, but it has not been the norm by any stretch. Nearly every bird I get is flushed with a Vizsla in their face a beeper going off because they are on point.

For anyone that is relatively new to pheasant hunting, I will end with one parting piece of advice that is helpful especially late season. We walk by a lot of birds. They are smart. Every step you take gives them data points to your location. Try stopping and standing still every now again while your dog hunts around you. They get nervous because I believe they have lost your location and will often flush.

Two birds today in 35+ winds.
Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.48.24 PM.png

Saturday: Three Roosters, three flushes, three single shots.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 1.47.43 PM.png

Two of my 3 birds had practically empty crops this morning, one had just a few kennels of corn, the other was full of small weed seeds (maybe giant foxtail?) and had at least the one piece of sorghum, and this is an hour later for them with the time change this morning.
crop contents.jpg

I try to publish a video a week during the hunting season when I can, but haven't gotten them all put on here. But here is one from this past Friday. The shooting leaves a bit to be desired. Well, a lot actually.
Really fun to see good numbers on public land. In the event that happens to me & my shooting isn't what I want it to be, my excuse is that so many pheasants made me flustered, & nobody could've shot well under those circumstances. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Great video! Our dogs are always indispensable, but sometimes they really save our bacon. Great work, Sage.
Here's my latest.....

I try to publish a video a week during the hunting season when I can, but haven't gotten them all put on here. But here is one from this past Friday. The shooting leaves a bit to be desired. Well, a lot actually.

Great job, Sage at chasing down that bird at the 8:40 mark!

One crop in Iowa this week was catkins and some green forbs AND one had 3 little FROGS. First time for me on that one!

My one and only video I will drop here I think. I want to publicly thank Lucas (Golden Hour) at JCW Outdoors for taking time to help me begin videoing my memories and for sharing his passion with the hunting community.
I have 3 clips of dog work from my second trip to Iowa this past week.
I enjoy this forum and appreciate it's members.

My one and only video I will drop here I think. I want to publicly thank Lucas (Golden Hour) at JCW Outdoors for taking time to help me begin videoing my memories and for sharing his passion with the hunting community.
Good video. Can't beat a lab for retrieving imo.

Thanks for sharing. It was fun to see your dog work.

I really enjoyed the dog work.

I tried to record videos this past week, but think all my gopro batteries are to old as they wouldnt hold a charge at all. I was bummed.

Judging from all the YouTube videos I’m guessing the only way to share a video is through YouTube?
There are other services and ways to post a video, but the largest issue is the amount of space allowed in an upload on this forum. Not sure what your familiarity with YouTube is, but if you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best as possible.

Judging from all the YouTube videos I’m guessing the only way to share a video is through YouTube?
I upload my videos to YouTube primarily because then I can access them whenever & wherever. It's super easy to share here, on Facebook, by text, email, or however, just by sending/posting the link to the YouTube video.

Back