2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

Very nice. I assume the rain Wed and Thurs mustve helped you guys a lot. I’d never seen it so dry earlier in the week. Annie is still limping around with cut up feet
Tell Annie to "heal" up! 😉 Actually, we got under 1/2" of rain. Every drop is welcome, but a couple inches would've been great. Still super dry.

Goose, I really think you should get your nephew to shoot the video. He may not be able to hit a bird, but I bet that city kid is top notch will all the new technology.
Lol. He is unbelievably inept at shooting. He's not a tech type. I have to try to put him on birds.If he isn't looking at his phone, he might get a shot.

Can't wait to be back in SD in a little over a week... these Wisconsin roosters just aren't the same.. Luckily the dogs don't know the difference.

Also, for others who post videos.. what resolution and fps are you usually shooting at? I try to shoot at 4K60 when possible, but in low light 4K gets pretty grainy..

Last edited:
GS, I know those are faked videos...why??? Because I have read lots of posts from many of our all-stars here, that you must hunt in total silence and sneak up on the birds with out them knowing you are there, if you ever even dream of shooting one. Well done, love the kids in there! I will be out for just a bit saturday morning and a little more sunday for my opening weekend. Love this time of year...temps should finally be a bit more seasonal by the weekend....too many 70s here lately!

WHAT THE BIRDS WERE EATING.....
I'd mentioned in my last video that I'd check the crops to see if the pheasants appeared to be eating "that dark brown stuff in the slough". One of you asked if I did that. Yes, and here's what I found. The 2 older birds' crops were empty. We were hunting mid-afternoon, & I suspect they just hadn't made it out for their evening meal yet, which probably would've been beans. The younger bird was chock full of this stuff. I don't believe they're the dark brown seeds from that brown stuff, but it very well could've been from that plant. It seems like little bits of plant root to me. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure he was finding it in the slough. Interesting.

20221030_194304.jpg

I'd mentioned in my last video that I'd check the crops to see if the pheasants appeared to be eating "that dark brown stuff in the slough". One of you asked if I did that. Yes, and here's what I found. The 2 older birds' crops were empty. We were hunting mid-afternoon, & I suspect they just hadn't made it out for their evening meal yet, which probably would've been beans. The younger bird was chock full of this stuff. I don't believe they're the dark brown seeds from that brown stuff, but it very well could've been from that plant. It seems like little bits of plant root to me. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure he was finding it in the slough. Interesting.

View attachment 4385
This fascinates me. I really want to know what plant it was from. I doubt it was the first time Mr. Rooster had eaten it and what really gets me thinking is that there are waste grains and weed seeds EVERYWHERE right now. Why did he choose those?

You should send that image to the SDSU pheasant biologist in charge of knowing what the pheasants eat and see what he says. ;)

View attachment 4385
Besides corn and weed seeds, we found a lot of green grass and leaves last week in SD. It was green blades of grass and what looked like cilantro leaves. ( I didn't take the time to research it)

Besides corn and weed seeds, we found a lot of green grass and leaves last week in SD. It was green blades of grass and what looked like cilantro leaves. ( I didn't take the time to research it)
I've seen stuff that looks like cilantro in them too. Not often, but a few times. It's one of those things you either love or hate. Not much middle ground with cilantro.

I will be thinking to check crops this weekend. Guessing that I will not find any of the "white root" A5 did as there is very little of moist ground available for them to forage that, if we even have that plant here. I like GH's idea about sending that pic to a biologist and see what they say about. I expect to find mostly corn, soybeans, sorghum and weed seeds in birds here. Maybe more "greens" than normal with the lack of standing water around. I will try to remember and post pics...I am assuming (hoping) to have a couple to look at! Pretty early to get skunked, but I will only have 2.5 hours to hunt Saturday, but all day Sunday.

Shot my limit this morning, my buddy took one, mine had full crops, one all soy beans and the mostly corn with some soy beans (different waterways). Shot these between 8:30 and 10:00. Not a root based diet here! Tomorrow we will hunt where we have sorghum food plots, so I will expect to see some of that in the crops.

Back