2017-18 Season

bauerline

Took Wednesday off from work and headed to the gamelands. It was a great day and I only saw one other hunter in the field. We put up about 10 pheasants and I was only able to bring one home. But I did manage to bag two woodcock in the morning. The first one came right after I missed a rooster from a point. Darn trees get it the way too much. I hope to get out Saturday.

The ticks were terrible today! The dogs were covered when we got home. Scout did enjoy carrying around one of the woodcock from the day.
10 25-17 by Brian Bauerline, on Flickr

Very nice! Brian try the Seresto Collar for the ticks. It's the best I've used!

Just got back! We went to one of the closer SGL's that get's hammered pretty good so we didn't know what to expect. It turned out well! At legal shooting time ,right after I cast my Springer pup he put up two Roosters! We were caught off guard and missed a couple of EASY shots! Then maybe another 30 yards or so he put up another Rooster but this time we were ready and Hollow dropped him. The pup only got birdie a couple of times after this but it was a perfect fall day!

Last edited:
Looks like a good weekend for your guys.

I was out on Saturday and got two birds early. I saw a group with 2 kids and they didn't see a bird all morning. I got Blitz and Champ out and we were able to find one rooster for the boys and they both shot the bird. They were happy to have the chance to shoot and they didn't hammer the bird too much.

Good luck this week!

We've had action every day out, there's plenty of birds! There's also plenty of hunters, the PGC must have been WAY off with the numbers!

Went out for a few hours in the morning at the local gamelands and had a great time. It didn't take long for the dogs to work some scent and I missed on a long crossing shot. For the day the dogs were able to put up 9 roosters and 1 woodcock. I passed on the woodcock and managed to bring one rooster home. Those birds gave the dogs some good work. On 3 different occasions the dogs had a point and worked a running bird with a series of points and tracks mixed in. One bird even made two complete circles before it flushed too far away for a shot. I can't complain about bird numbers so far this year. I was happy with how the dogs handled things even though I did my fair share of missing today. Most of the birds were able to put trees or distance between me and them.

Untitled by Brian Bauerline, on Flickr

Very nice! What do you think of the quality of the birds this year?

I don’t notice any difference from previous years. They all flew well and provided a good hunt for the dogs. Have you noticed any difference?

There're smaller for sure! But they do fly well and seem pretty wary. Not a bad bird at all !

Last Saturday I saw two kids that had trouble finding birds while they were hunting. I met up with them today to take them out with the dogs and the two boys managed to take home three roosters and one squirrel. They had a great time and were thankful that I was able to get out with them. The dogs did well and put up about 11 birds.

Back