2017-18 Season

Yep, that collar is about the best I've found without loading the dog up with chemicals. In a recent Pheasant Forever magazine there was an Elimitick Dog Vest, I don't know much about it but it might be worth a try for the spring.

Fldbred, I was putting posters up around my 40 acre wetland today. It has about 20 acres of switchgrass, 10 acres of early successional and 10 acres of cattails and Reed canary grass. I planted this two years ago. As I was walking the edge today, I flushed my first wild rooster!! Man did he make my day. It's true! If you build it, they will come. This field is still in the WPRA. My other 40 acres of switch I planted this year is just across the road and outside. Hoping next year it is thick enough to hold birds. I'll be trapping both areas to keep the rift- raff away.

YES,YES, YES!!!! I have been meaning to ask you about it again, I figured it would happen sooner or later! What's the status of your neighbors ? That has to be an awesome feeling, YOU made that happen. Dreams do come true my friend.

Neighbors are mostly cropland. Some connecting cover and a power line with good cover. My food plots were not good because the deer ate it before it got ears on it. Sorghum next year. Should be great next year. I have been thinking about supplemental feeding. If corn is spread out in the grass it should be fine. You're not exposing the birds or concentrating them if you spread it out through the field.

Man that is really awesome! Heading up to Camp now for the deer season,I'll be thinking about your birds while on stand. lol.
Do you think spreading out the corn would attract fox ? I had corn in my back yard for doves and fox found it and visited it every day! I guess if spread it thin it would be good!Any chance your Chapter could get permission to plant warm season grasses in the power line? Good luck if you go out for deer!

Last edited:
Yep, that collar is about the best I've found without loading the dog up with chemicals. In a recent Pheasant Forever magazine there was an Elimitick Dog Vest, I don't know much about it but it might be worth a try for the spring.

Do you combine it with anything else? We just use the collar but Im hearing some combine it with a chewable.

Ill definitely keep my eyes peeled on the elimitick vest and if we get one, Ill share the results.

GL up at deer camp!

Do you combine it with anything else? We just use the collar but Im hearing some combine it with a chewable.

Ill definitely keep my eyes peeled on the elimitick vest and if we get one, Ill share the results.

GL up at deer camp!

When we first started using it I put a little bit of Frontline on the back end area ' very little bit', we have since discovered it's not necessary.
Can't wait for deer season to be over! LOL.

A friend of mine has a three month old Vizsla and he brought her over to play with scout while we went out hunting for a couple of hours with my other dogs. We were able to move a bunch of birds and we each limited out. When we got home his little pup was more than happy to carry around one of the pheasants. I didn’t get any pictures from the day but it was very nice to be out.

Maybe you guys should start breeding Vizslas ! lol. I went out today also and did well, there are still a good number of birds out there. I'm going to have to figure a way of posting pictures since Photo Bucket screwed us.

All three dogs were going crazy and I just had to to take them out. It didn't take long for Blitz and Champ to point the first bird and I took a nice rooster. After that I decided I would not shoot a bird unless all three dogs did a good job. Champ and Blitz had more points than I can count and Scout had one on the edge of the woods that didn't present a good shot. Eventually all three did their job and I took a picture before I shot the flushing rooster. After that I started to walk out of the fields but I couldn't find Blitz or Champ. I looked for twenty minutes before I found Champ on point and went in to flush the bird. Blitz was still missing and after a few more minutes I saw a bird flying in the distance. Then I see Blitz running towards me. He was on a bird the entire time.

Untitled by Brian Bauerline, on Flickr

It has been a good week of hunting and Scout is doing very well. It is just about time to step up his training a little bit.

Merry Christmas!

Went out this morning with all three dogs since I was away for a while. Champ locked up quickly but young Scout hasn’t been taught to honor yet and he busted two roosters. I hunted for about 45 minutes and we flushed one more rooster with no shot taken. I also saw one rooster run off through the woods. I saw a flock of turkeys before I took Scout home and went back out with Champ and Blitz. The dogs had several more points but some roosters were in safety zones or they didn’t offer a safe shot. Even though it was 12 degrees it was still nice to be out.

Just got back from a hunt with my neighbor. His dogs can’t hunt now so I asked him to join me. Blitz and Champ were great and we put up 2 hens and 3 roosters. We were able to take 2 of the roosters home. At one point we had to backtrack to find the dogs since they were locked up in some thick switchgrass. It was a nice time hunting in some snow. Sorry about the lack of pictures.

Went out in the cold saturday, took our time and would do a series of short hunts then back to the truck for the pup to warm up... hunted from 7-3 with 2 flushes, cold day but it was fun!

Low numbers and wise birds make for a tough late-season hunt. I was out on Sunday to run the dogs and was able to put up a few birds but they do not stick around long for a point. Good job getting out there.

Went out in the cold saturday, took our time and would do a series of short hunts then back to the truck for the pup to warm up... hunted from 7-3 with 2 flushes, cold day but it was fun!

That's a good long hunt in these conditions! :thumbsup: We're still going out and finding birds but the weather has been brutal, but like you said it's still fun!

Back