2017-18 Season

Nice job! We've been into birds every time out also, plenty of birds again this year.

Last Saturday I saw two kids that had trouble finding birds while they were hunting. I met up with them today to take them out with the dogs and the two boys managed to take home three roosters and one squirrel. They had a great time and were thankful that I was able to get out with them. The dogs did well and put up about 11 birds.

:thumbsup: GREAT JOB !!!!! Pass it on, it might be what keeps them out of trouble.

Great reports and photo's guys. I am kinda of out of the bird hunting seen since Cookie passed, but really enjoy following you all.

:thumbsup: GREAT JOB !!!!! Pass it on, it might be what keeps them out of trouble.

Great reports and photo's guys. I am kinda of out of the bird hunting seen since Cookie passed, but really enjoy following you all.

Thanks! Since Photo Bucket is no longer I'm going to have to find something else!

While cleaning some more birds and examine them closer, I can see they are way smaller and no where near as colorful and brilliant as the birds of the past.

Had a first this weekend, was out on Friday on the local game lands, was having a good day, got into some birds and was just really enjoying the day with my three labs.. When my black lab got caught in a trap, this was a first for me, although it was a legal set, I thought the location of the trap was placed in a very poor location.. the dog was fine once cleared from the trap, but can't say the same for my hand.. I understand that the advised way to handle this situation when hunting alone is to wait until your dog calms down before trying to clear them, but... that just wan't something I could do, so as a result I ended up getting bit on the hand while trying to clear him.. I guess better that I'm hurt versus him since we leave for SD next friday.. Anyway I wish there was some way that these traps could be indentified before our dogs get caught in them..

That's always a tough situation. I've been there whether it be with barbed wire fences, traps, fights, porky etc.. If you wait the dog may tear up his joints etc., I would probably have done the same thing, even though the book says to wait. Someone trapping on SGL's where they know birds are released...well what can you say!

Welcome to the site, sit back and read some of the old Posts, a lot of guys with the same passion, unfortunately Photo- Bucket removed most of the photo's.
Good luck in S.D. !

I had off from work today so I met up with a friend and went to the gamelands. There were a decent number of cars in the parking areas but we had plenty of room to hunt and didn't see many people in the fields. The dogs worked well and we moved about 8 roosters and two woodcock. My friend got his first ever woodcock and one rooster. I bagged two roosters on the day. One of the pheasants and the woodcock were water retrieves for the dogs. It was an enjoyable day and I plan to go out again on Saturday morning. I'll be meeting up with my same friend who will be bringing his daughter along. Our goal is to get her a bird for her first time.

Was out on Saturday morning with my friend who brought his daughter. Our goal was to get her a bird for the first time. The dogs had a few points in the first 45 minutes but she wasn't able to connect on a shot. By that time she had enough walking and she wanted to go home. She enjoyed her time with the dogs and left the field happy which is all we can ask for. I stayed a little bit longer and managed to take one bird and missed another. It was a good two days of hunting.

It's to bad she didn't connect but at least she had a good time!
Is it just me or is there more guys afield this year than in recent memory? We've seen guys every day that we've been out! At least there are plenty of birds!

Nice! Looks like Champ is doing well. How's the new pup adjusting?

Scout is doing very well and gets along great with the other dogs. I introduced gunfire with the cap gun last week and that went well. I hope to get him on some quail soon.

Heading up to Camp tomorrow "Friday" for a pheasant/grouse combo hunt. It's funny how things change, for years the grouse were common and pheasants hard to come by, now it's the complete opposite!

Only time for one today the bear hunters were out and in our way so we called it a day before the rains came. On a good note I have not missed a bird this year and havent taken a second shot Drakes very happy with that.;)
View attachment 7743

That's some good shooting! Don't tell Rooster Slammer but my shooting been way off this year! lol.
Our hunt up at camp went as expected, the pheasants were where we thought they'd be, but the grouse were non- existent, it's almost scary the way they have disappeared!

25- Sounds like a good year for you. Drake looks like he's been working hard.

Fldbred- too bad about the grouse numbers but at least you have pheasants. I thought about making a trip north this week to try for some grouse but I now I think I'll stay more local and chase some pheasants.

Today was our PF vet hunt. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Shooting's off Flbred? 😯 I was 8 for 9 this year and then missed one two shots I should have bagged. I knew I was shooting over my head though 😊

Shooting's off Flbred? �� I was 8 for 9 this year and then missed one two shots I should have bagged. I knew I was shooting over my head though ��

Yea...truth be told, I'm a little off this year! I'm still getting my share of birds, but it's on the second shot and then there not really hit hard. Last year I was at 100% till mid December!

My excuse...I'm shooting a Berreta AL-2 that I purchased in 1973, I've shot everything through this Modified fixed choke barrel, so it might be worn out. I was preaching that pretty good till HollowWatcher reminded me that I used the same gun last year!:nutz:

Great pics everyone! Awesome stuff helping out the kids!

I second the recommendation regarding the seresto collar. Big difference for us once we started using one

Back