2017-18 Season

Went out this morning, 12 degrees and light wind and found some birds. These were hens in a either sex area but we passed on them anyway.

Well since I know you know what kind of cover to find them in, they have a better chance of making it especially since they've lasted this long.

I had the day off due to school being closed for a snow day. I took the dogs out and we put up 4 roosters and 2 hens. These birds are providing the dogs some great work. Scout continues to do well and provides some points. The birds don't hang around long and tend to run before flushing. Champ had the "opportunity" to chase a fox across a cut corn field and I can say that fox had no chance of out running Champ. I'm just glad Champ came back to the whistle. We ended up putting up one hen from the same area we pushed the fox out of.

Jan 17 by Brian Bauerline, on Flickr

I also had the dogs out on Sunday and we flushed 5 roosters. Three came off points and the other two flushed when they heard the other birds. Those two birds were 100 yards away but I guess they figured they better leave the area, too.

Back