2016 Season

Figured since opener was yesterday, I'd start up the annual thread.

How'd everyone do this weekend? Been reading a lot on how the bird numbers are down this year from 2015, and that they are expecting the harvest to be closer to 2013 where they were at 450k.

Just curious if anyone has noticed that much of a difference this weekend while hunting in their respective areas? Seeing less birds while driving around and while hunting? I'm going out next weekend by myself with the pup just to scout around for a day or so before our trips next month, so I will chime in when I get back home.

Good luck everyone, hope ya'll have a great season making memories :cheers:

We only hunted Private land, as out state can't hunt plots land the first weekend. we hunted south central ND.

We were limited out by 1:00ish on Saturday. Personally it was the most birds I have ever seen, since 2007-8. weather was perfect.
We shot 1 hun. The huns were really spooky this year saw 4 groups of 10.
Didn't loose 1 bird.

Sunday only hunted 1/2 day.

5 of us shot 10 pheasants and 5 grouse. we lost 5 roosters on sunday. dogs were having trouble in the wind. and the birds were not getting up with the high winds (20-25mph) on sunday.

I buddy of mine hunted in the west central ND and the 7 of them limited out each day Saturday and Sunday.

My son and I are heading out to the NW part of the state on Thursday, joining my father-in-law for an 8 day hunt. This is both mine and my sons first "real" pheasant trip, so not too sure what to expect. The F-I-L has hunted there about 4 or 5 times, with 2014 being his last hunt there.

We've been shooting clays and doing some ruffed grouse hunting to try and prepare, and I've been packing for weeks now! Hoping to make this a yearly or twice-yearly trip in upcoming years!!

Will try to report when we're out there, and for sure when we get back.

Sounds like a fun trip. My dentist had a favorite spot that he used to hunt - Mott, ND. Not sure what the bird situation is in the nw part of the state.

Good Luck to all!

My son and I are heading out to the NW part of the state on Thursday, joining my father-in-law for an 8 day hunt. This is both mine and my sons first "real" pheasant trip, so not too sure what to expect. The F-I-L has hunted there about 4 or 5 times, with 2014 being his last hunt there.

We've been shooting clays and doing some ruffed grouse hunting to try and prepare, and I've been packing for weeks now! Hoping to make this a yearly or twice-yearly trip in upcoming years!!

Will try to report when we're out there, and for sure when we get back.

Pheasants and ruffies are totally different birds in flight. Let those pheasants get out before pulling the trigger.

Pheasants and ruffies are totally different birds in flight. Let those pheasants get out before pulling the trigger.

Boy isn't that the truth!!
I've been hunting ruffies since the mid 70's in SW Wisconsin and now northern MN. Looking forward to a new challenge and love that my son is really really fired up about doing this trip (plus he gets to miss a few days of school LOL)!!

No idea how the dog or us is going to do on roosters, but we've both got 8 days of trying to figure it out.
We are camping in Crosby, the in-laws are driving their 5th wheel out, leaving Wednesday. Son and I will take off early Thursday and should be to the campground by dinner.

Hi, we did well, saw quite a few birds and I managed to limit Sat, Sun and today. Saw more birds so far this year than last.

I posted some pics and the stories behind them in the Pheasant Hunting Forum under the thread 2016 Game And Gun Pics - Let's See Them.

Hope our luck holds!

Greg

Boy isn't that the truth!!
I've been hunting ruffies since the mid 70's in SW Wisconsin and now northern MN. Looking forward to a new challenge and love that my son is really really fired up about doing this trip (plus he gets to miss a few days of school LOL)!!

No idea how the dog or us is going to do on roosters, but we've both got 8 days of trying to figure it out.
We are camping in Crosby, the in-laws are driving their 5th wheel out, leaving Wednesday. Son and I will take off early Thursday and should be to the campground by dinner.

Buddy of mine from work was hunting the Crosby area last weekend....limited out Saturday, Sunday, and Monday...said numbers were pretty darn solid. Have a good trip!

Buddy of mine from work was hunting the Crosby area last weekend....limited out Saturday, Sunday, and Monday...said numbers were pretty darn solid. Have a good trip!

Had a great first day!! The 3 of us limited and saw good numbers of birds. Good mix of YOY and carry over roosters. The great thing was tons of hens, bodes well for next year hopefully!! Water seemed to be key. Holding very tight to it everywhere we went.

Raining now

Great reports everyone, it sounds like things are have been pretty darn solid out there!

For those of you getting your limits, curious if you are hunting public or private land (knocking on doors), or if you are staying at an outfitter for guided hunts? Either way, great to hear that there are some birds going in the freezer!!

Altillathedak - great pictures man! I have an ESS too that looks almost identical to your dog - they are the absolute best! How old is the pup?

Se nd

Anyone know the bird numbers in the Ashley, Lehr area. Hunted opener in NW corner 4 guys 42 roosters in 4 days. Had opportunities, just some poor shooting on Saturday. Hoping to make second trip out in November and looking for somewhere closer due to time restraints. Used to hunt the SE corner a few years ago and I heard the bird numbers were way down. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Nice pics Altilla. I'm looking forward to my first return hunting trip to ND since 2013 when this picture with Parker (sporting his new vest) was taken near Scranton. We had a great trip that year, and hope this year's trip can compare.
Tom

Le Grande Dame (Autumn, a French Brittany) is going on 12. Scout ( a French Spaniel) is just a few months younger but didn't start hunting till he was 7. Jazz, another French Brit, just turned two. She was not happy on the day the pics were taken...she got no birds. But she got three of six on Friday. Reference the public versus private question. We hunt both about equally. No pay to play places.

4 Days In

Well we are 4 days in and my son and I have 22 birds so far!!!
To say we are pumped is an understatement😄 Hunting both public
And unposted private only. Met some really nice guys so far and
One not very nice combine driver. Pheasant on the grill tonight!!
Not sure if the photo will work.

Back