2016 Season

Odd day afield with my wife and the pups. Brought home our birds...well someone's birds. Only shot one....others were crips the dogs found.

Thank you ! Shadow Oak Bo son, from John Rex breeding . Summer in Canada with Robin Gates. He can cover some ground :cheers:

Just a fun fast dog that makes you look good . I really enjoy hunting N.D. it's my 5th yr. Good birds

Had a Pretty decent week. Hunted private and WPA north and west of Jamestown the first 4 days. Shot 5 and lost one. Missed one grouse , the rest were the spookiest I've ever seen. Killed one rooster on PLOTS once non residents were allowed on. Pointed several hens and saw other roosters (missed). Ended up getting permission on some private and had a limit in 2 hours or so. My friends 18 month old GSP got exposure to lots of birds and had several really nice points. My 9 yr old Setter was solid as usual. Not perfect , but I was proud! Had some good waterfowl hunts as well.

Not one, not two, not three, not four, but five

Roosters flew off to just a "click" after being pinned by the pups. Gun cleaning time tomorrow. Made getting my birds a LOT more work than required.

Are you flushing the wounded hens or is your dog finding them? I shot a rooster this year in the edge of a canola field. When i retrieved it , i walked out of the brush exactly how I had walked it. When i got to where the rooster had originally flushed , another jumped up within inches of my feet , brushed against my leg and ran into the brush. I had a shot but My friend was on the other side and I couldn't see him. That bird was determined not to fly , even though his buddy did. I suspect he was injured and couldn't.

Ammo at the end of the Day

Trying the picture thing, we'll see if this works.
Ammo, our 4.5 yo at the end of his first real day pheasant hunting.
OK, I give. Altillathedak how do you insert the pic in the thread? I dont see the "arrow" that the site refers to when I attach it?

Last edited:
Great pictures. Looks like mild weather and a good time. We are heading out to SW North Dakota end of November. Where were you guys at? How were bird numbers. We hunt some public and one private place. Thanks

OK, bear with me, trying again. Finally LOL!
I'm going to have to try and up my photo skills for these forums, but these roosters were taken with family hand-me-downs from my father. He bought a bunch of guns in the late 60's/early 70's, did a little shooting with friends for a couple years, and gave it up. Luckily for me he hung on to all of them, so it was great to see the @1969 Remington 870 and the @1970 Browning Lightening Superposed being put to their intended use by my son and I. The 870 has been used regularily since '76 for grouse, deer, and ducks/geese mainly. The Browning I have been reluctant to use for anything other than some clays shooting, but this trip seemed like the perfect time to put it in the field, and it did not disappoint as both my son and I split time using it. It even produced my first pheasant "double" our second day!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

PS: We camped in Crosby and hunted within 10 miles of there for the week. Numbers were good, but this was our first trip to "real" pheasant country so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Back