2016 Game And Gun Pics - Let's See Them

Hi all, this post will have a few pics on it, as it covers this past weekend (Friday - Sunday). Anyway, Friday noon was our Deer gun opener. It was a very warm one, 70, both Friday and Saturday. My son Jim and daughter Liz were the only two who drew tags, I didn't draw one, first time in many, many moons. So, I did some bird hunting while the kids hunted deer. Tough deer hunting, but the bird hunting was very good. I was able to limit each day, except Sunday. Sunday was windy, 20mph, so tough for birds and deer. So, here are the pics:

My hunting partners, my son Jim and daughter Liz:

DSCN16661.jpg

Jim managed to fill his tag on Opening day at 10 minutes before ending time. He used his Browning A-Bolt in .25WSSM:

DSCN16691.jpg

Friday's bird limit. I used my 12b F.A. Anderson the entire weekend:

DSCN16671.jpg

Saturday's bag and yours truly:

DSCN16641.jpg

DSCN16651.jpg

Sunday, I did get one more but lost him, a shame:

DSCN16701.jpg

Anyway, still have to fill Liz's tag, wonder if I'll try for birds again?

Best,

Greg

I'm in the market for a nice SxS 12ga with 30" barrels. Trying to stay at $2,000 or a little less. Where would you recommend I look? I've found a nice website called Robin Hollow Outfitters, but most are over my price range. :rolleyes:

Ryanmoeller77: You can buy great double guns from online from gunbroker, like a classic Fox, L.C. Smith, LeFever, Winchester for about half of what your willing to spend. The site has photos of the guns and all the information. They charge $30 or so for shipment to your nearest gun dealer where you want the gun shipped to. I would do that instead of buying a newer one.

Ryanmoeller77: You can buy great double guns from online from gunbroker, like a classic Fox, L.C. Smith, LeFever, Winchester for about half of what your willing to spend. The site has photos of the guns and all the information. They charge $30 or so for shipment to your nearest gun dealer where you want the gun shipped to. I would do that instead of buying a newer one.

I plan on getting an older SxS. They don't makes guns like they used too. :thumbsup:

Hey all, only had a very short time to hunt today, have a wedding to go to, so while I'm waiting for my wife to get ready! I thought I'd post today's gun and game. Was a wonderful day weather wise, birds were wild in one area we hunted, but did manage two before we had to get back.

I used my 12b J. Blanch (with those dangerous damascus bbls!)

DSCN16711.jpg

Best,

Greg

Hey all, only had a very short time to hunt today, have a wedding to go to, so while I'm waiting for my wife to get ready! I thought I'd post today's gun and game. Was a wonderful day weather wise, birds were wild in one area we hunted, but did manage two before we had to get back.

I used my 12b J. Blanch (with those dangerous damascus bbls!)

DSCN16711.jpg

Best,

Greg

Nice!! I can't wait to get out there and get after some birds!! Keep up the great work!:10sign:

Slow opener today, we only flushed 8 birds but the two roosters came home. I enjoyed shooting my new to me Belgium Browning a5 20 mag.

Still a learning curve for Tinker, although she has managed to wear out my old legs. :(

For no particular reason, two of the last three birds she has decided to not retrieve, or to only bring part of the way back.

Hi all, went out today solo, was a windy one 20mph, but did manage to get a limit. Raina worked well in spite of the wind, made a good retrieve on a bird that lead her on a merry chase. Good day overall.

I used my 12b H&H Royal:

DSCN16721.jpg

Raina and the days bag:

DSCN16741.jpg

Best,

Greg

Still a learning curve for Tinker, although she has managed to wear out my old legs. :(

For no particular reason, two of the last three birds she has decided to not retrieve, or to only bring part of the way back.

Yeah.....The very last thing that my dogs wants is for me to think I have her completely figured out:) Keep your good attitude, and keep taking Tinker, and yourself, out in the fields!

My wife and my 77-yr old Dad. It was her first-ever hunt, so those are her first birds, and she's holding her Yildiz 20-gauge o/u. And it was my Dad's first time in S Dakota. He's holding his Rem 1100 LT-20.

Here's me with a rooster and my '73 Rem 1100 16-gauge.

Some days, it just goes well.

I had Tinker out at the State hunting grounds. I'd pulled into the parking lot where a guy was looking to the hunting grounds, with a congenial yellow lab pacing around him, looking like she wanted to get going on a hunt. He and I chatted.

Turns out he was waiting for his black lab to get finished hunting and come back to his truck. :). The yellow lab was 10 years old, had just come in from walking the property with him, and wanted to go back out. The missing dog was younger, and had slipped into the woods when the guy wasn't looking. He was about ready to go back out to find the wandering pup.

I fitted out Tink with collar and blaze orange strap, took the Win 370 single 12 ga mod. out, and strolled down the road into the property, telling the guy I'd keep an eye out for the adventurer.

Tink has been showing maturity and experience on each outing. Earlier in the week, I'd taken my Springer, Mick, out. He popped a rooster at the edge of some woods, I hit it lightly, and he went on what turned out to be a frustrating search. Not like Mick to come back empty-handed. He's around 12, and the years are weighing on him. The day's temp had reached 60 degrees and Mick was wearing thin, so we took the long walk back, with Mick resting from time-to-time, then catching up with me.

The next day I took Tink out, and we happened to go back to where the bird disappeared. I sent her in to fetch and shortly after she disappeared from sight, I heard cackling and flapping, some branches breaking, and a squawk. Out came Tinker, with a quite indignant rooster pheasant in her mouth. I dispatched it, and noted one wing had a few broken feathers and some clotted blood.

It was great that she found the bird--both because I hate to lose one, and because that day I could not hit a pheasant to save my life. I'd put the boats and motors up for the Winter, and my body was punishing me for the effort. I was behind, below, and above each of the birds she pointed.

This day, though I'd considered bring one of the doubles to have a second shot, I was looser and went through the drill of practicing bringing the single shot gun up as I cocked the hammer, and swinging right or left to reawaken the muscle memory.

Tinker started working the cover to the left quite soon after we left the parking area. There was a light wind blowing from that direction and she was using it. About 15 minutes in, she got birdy and started tracking. She moved slowly in the direction we'd come from, then wheeled around and sped up in the other direction, wheeled around again and returned to the original direction. She slowed, painstakingly moving forward and then locked up. I moved toward her, and about five yards away, took a few quick steps, flushing the rooster. This day, I did it right, and the bird dropped. Tink charged with the flush and swooped down to grab, then re-position the pheasant in her mouth and trotted back up the slope to me. As is my habit, I was loudly praising her, and knelt down to take the bird, and then describe in enthusiastic detail how magnificent she was. She seemed gratified, but not over-whelmed by the praise.

After field dressing the bird, I headed back to the farm road on the crest of the property. Within ten minutes, Tink was back, working into the wind, and trailing down the slope to high grasses, then back up slightly behind me. She went into her total freeze point--the one I think she would hold, even if I pushed her body over-- as I hustled over. I flushed the bird high, and taking my time, tracked and dropped it. Once again, Tink pounced on the bird and brought to hand.

Well now...limited out within a quarter mile of the car, with a dog that conducted itself like it was a South Dakota's Guide dog, when I'd started the day wondering if I was going to be able to hit a bird!

I was grinning and calling Tink to heel as she wanted to keep hunting when the other guy came up the other slope and down the field road, looking for his missing dog. He said, "I saw that shot. Looks like that old single works ok."

I acted cool, like an old experienced hunter would, and said, "I just have to do my part." Inside, I was really pleased with the dog, the pheasants, and making the shots. Some times I revert to the delight of early days' hunting when all the pieces come together, more than 50 years ago.

I walked with him a bit, looking for his dog, then he went down to the woods calling for it. I saw him a bit later, with a black and a yellow lab, getting into his truck.

I dropped one of the birds off at a friend's house.

And we all lived happily ever after.

Last edited:
Back