2015 South Dakota Crop Harvest Reports

meridiannursery

Figured I would get this going. I am headed out next week to help begin taking some high moisture corn out. Should have a good look at the bird count
and boots on the ground reporting.

Yeah, let us know what your seeing out there. If you can get pics too that would be great:D

Nick

I'm in aurora county for the weekend, working for the most part. I have Breez, Sky and Cooper along.:).. Early morning walk this morning, and a wet drive up to the lodge. What struck me most, is that there was a lack of moisture here this year. Corn is turning yellow even before the beans. Walked out into a field and found the ears short and not fully developed, like they ran out of moisture.

Looked over some grasslands that were nasty tall last year, and will be great pointer habitat this year. It doesn't look like very much if even the brome headed out this year.

A bonus would be that I haven't seen as many ditches mowed, as it didn't look like it was worth the effort for the hay. It's still good enough for early bird habitat though.

I think you will see an early harvest this year unless prices keep the combines in the shed until the corn is completely dry.

Live boots on the ground update. We hit the field full throttle on Tuesday. Monday we broke down and had to hit up Becky at the C and B in Gettysburg for some parts. Sorry I have been unable to post until now. So hot and dry we stopped early today. Corn is drier than we thought. Running in low 30's. I CAN REPORT THE HARVEST WILL BE EARLY. Everything is turning early and drying out quick. Birds and birds. I think Grandpa and I agree we are seeing peak levels here around Pierre. On one push through I counted 11 flush at one time.
Usually on a high moisture corn we might get a push/flush of 2 or 3 tops. Line up some land as I feel a ton of pressure with these numbers. If you do not have something lined up to hunt, get some now. UGUIDE is a good option as it will be packed out here. 42% up will bring out every Tom, Dick, and Harry. They will dust their guns off and shoot at anything that moves. We run them off our land non stop. We call them ditch pricks and land cocks. They think they own everything. SO BE PREPARED AND LOOK OUT AS MOST GUYS AROUND PIERRE WILL BE LIMIT OUT FAST AND BE IN THE BAR BY 2:00. PHOTOS COMING SOON :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Nice report Meridian. I too thought the corn was looking unusually dry or further along in maturity.

We still have 3 late season spots left open. Been sitting there a while but does not mean by no means that they are bad hunts at all.

1 in week 7 and 2 in week 9.

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/availability/

My report is I am still seeing some new broods here and there but the June hatched roosters are starting to color. Got my first SD limit of doves and burned through the shells. Fun but man she is a hot week. I think a lot of the doves blew south too on that 45 degree night we had a week or 2 back. not as many around.

I spoke with my buddy today who was cutting silage and similar report as Meridian.... Birds, birds and more birds. I'm heading out Saturday to look at the new trees we planted in the spring. He commented that the first hatch Must have been incredible and the best numbers he has seen in years :)

Just returned from my trip (kimball area) and the farmers I spoke with said the crops seem a lot further along and expect an early harvest... Similar to what others are reporting on this forum

Moisture conditions do vary some, and appears we are hearing mostly from the dryer areas. Beams are drying up fast. Per my farmer friends the corn around here is still high moisture. Do not even see much being chopped as at 30+%. I would say just east of Mitchell is where things are behind the other areas reported. The dryer areas seem to have the better bird counts. Go west young man but that's the usual rule anyway.
My dogs have pointed , killed and ate two very young birds, less than week old in my backyard this week. They were separated from the hen and brood for some reason. The dogs hit an awful lot of scent on the first one, and I suspect the hen and the rest were already in the corn.

Sd weekly crop report has mature corn at 29% compared to 9% last year at this time. Things are progressing nicely for a earlier harvest than last year.

I made the trip from kimball area to Huron area this morning. Saw a few birds but people have begun to combine corn. I saw 5 or 6 fields already done and 2 more with combines Rollin.

Took a trip to Chamberlain from Sioux Falls and back today. Took mostly back roads to check on some areas I plan to hunt this year. Did find one combine doing a bean field. None doing corn yet. Except for the corn that is being cut for silage all was still standing. Farmer friend by Faulkton guessed they would be on beans by the first of next month. Heard the same from a buddy up by Huron.

I took a trip to Sioux Falls this weekend. I saw some bean fields harvested and some corn cut for silage. I did not see any corn combined. It seems that there is a lot of variation in maturity.

Ne sd

Silage is being cut and some beans should start being harvested in the next couple of weeks. Farmers spending time mowing grass and baling what they can get before having to focus on Corn and Beans. Beans should come out before the corn in most places.

CRP is nice, thick and hold the birds. Low grounds are surprisingly wet when you would think they would be dry.

You see birds where the CRP is.

Watch out for the deer because there are a lot of them. Viking

SIOUX FALLS, SD, September 21, 2015 ? For the week ending September 20, 2015, warm, windy weather continued to advance crop maturity and dry down, according to the USDA?s National Agricultural Statistics Service. Temperatures were two to six degrees above average for most of the State. Precipitation amounts were light during the week allowing winter wheat seeding to progress along with beginning harvest of corn and soybeans. There were 6.0 days suitable for fieldwork. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 7 percent very short,
25 short, 67 adequate, and 1 surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 6 percent very short, 26 short, 67 adequate, and 1 surplus.

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 0 percent very poor, 4 poor, 19 fair, 58 good, and 19 excellent. Corn dented was at 90 percent, near 91 last year and the five-year average of 92. Mature was at 45 percent, well ahead of 20 last year, but near 43 average. Harvested was at 2 percent, near 0 last year, but behind 7 average.

Soybean condition rated 0 percent very poor, 3 poor, 20 fair, 57 good, and 20 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was at 73 percent, well ahead of 52 last year, but near 71 average. Harvested was at 3 percent, near 0 last year and 7 average.

Thanks, Bob. I tried to pull this report, but their site indicated it wasn't available - you must go to a different source...

Update from a farmer in Miner County is that they are done with beans and are starting on corn this week. We're almost there!

4 Oct NE SD

Beans are being harvested quickly. One farmer started corn but most corn is still close to 20% moisture to my knowledge. But some of the early planted stuff or sandy soil should be ready in a week i would think. Didn't see many birds at all this weekend which was disappointing. Also don't see any dead ones on the side of the road like you normally do. I know they say numbers are up, but this last weekend sure didn't feel like it. They must be hanging out in the CRP.

We Will start on corn the Monday after opening day if all things stay the same.

Was disappointed driving down I29 from Watertown to Sioux Falls. Amazing how many farmers are turning the fields black as soon as crops are out. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why bird numbers are low in that area..

Viking

Back