2015 South Dakota Crop Harvest Reports

On top of that, look at the other states forums on here, if somebody posts, hey I'm thinking of making a trip out (insert state) where should I go etc., 90% of the time the first response is, "You should hunt South Dakota, there are a lot more birds there, numbers are sky high this year etc." Don't believe me? Go look lol :cheers::cheers:

hunting pressure

I would agree with the previous posts. We have a couple of old homesteads that have nice pheasant habitat. One particular one has corn on one side of the shelter belt with crp across the road. Almost every night during the season there are 1-2 vehicles parked by the tree belt waiting for the pheasants to transition from the crops back to the CRP. The hunters pass shoot the birds while standing in the ditch. I can understand there is some limitations on where people can hunt for free but it gets kind of old when it's a nightly occurrence that the hunters are there. Things will have to change this year because we built our retirement house next to the tree belt and the shots are too close for comfort.
We plan to build a nice fly away pen in the future and release birds for the out of town reletives to come and enjoy. It will be a bigger challenge then to keep things calm by the tree belt.

viking

The roadside and ditch hunting has always been intriguing to me. We do not have that in Indiana, not that we have any real pheasant anyways, and it seems a bit surprising it is allowed. I can see where it is a nuisance to locals. I can also see where it does open up additional opportunities also.

Having said that, I was a bit taken a back last year when I was in south Dakota and people would drive down the gravel roads and jump out and shoot pheasant from their vehicle as they drive down the road. Personally, I do not agree with that and do not consider that hunting.

As for commercialization of the resource, it is a good and a bad thing. Without it, there is little incentive to manage for pheasant as more farmers become corporate farmers. Even with it, with high commodity prices, pheasant lose out. This was obvious in recent years.

Therefore, as much as I wish it was different, I get the pay to play part and it will happen regardless of what anyone posts. I do see the other side though where those fly by night bird hunters use this info and create more harm than good.

It would be nice to go back about 40-50 years when there was not as much hunting pressure and people were more respectful of each other.

Pheasant hunting is really the only upland hunting where you get "shooters" as opposed to "hunters." Hunters use dogs and work hard for their birds. Shooters use the push and block method and road shooting, there's no hunting to that, no it's shooting. And typically those that use those methods are in very large groups. And I'm pretty sure you're going to generally have more issues out of those guys than you are out of 2 guys and their 4 dogs who put more effort into their hunts.

Shooters vs hunters

Pheasant hunting is really the only upland hunting where you get "shooters" as opposed to "hunters." Hunters use dogs and work hard for their birds. Shooters use the push and block method and road shooting, there's no hunting to that, no it's shooting. And typically those that use those methods are in very large groups. And I'm pretty sure you're going to generally have more issues out of those guys than you are out of 2 guys and their 4 dogs who put more effort into their hunts.

Shooters vs hunters

right on man... id love to share a hunt with u sometime cowboybirddogs...

plant a bunch of dummy birds & them guys who hang out by ur shelter belt will never want to leave... no wonder SD has so many roosters...

Last edited:
After watching some of the Chatter, I stand corrected. It probably does draw people to an area that they may not normally frequent. Sad but I see it is true. Several seem more interested in shooting birds rather than the hunt and I can see where that could be a problem.

I was really surprised at the scenery change...more crops seem to be out than I expected...

Generally all over...I did about 400 miles scouting yesterday...so I covered a ton of ground...north to south and east to west it's all coming out fast!

Exactly. Don't get scammed. Way more pheasant in Kentucky and fewer hunters because no one knows about them����

Dang! I'm already locked into SD this season. I'll have to look at Kentucky next year. :rolleyes::D:D

Had an 88 year old man get to hunt with his two sons and his grandson
this weekend. That is what I call a great hunt.

with all that ground covered yankee did u at least see some pheasants??? please do tell ...

all the ground we covered didn't pay off, 2 birds in two days! I'm enjoying the time spent with my dog on what may be one of his last seasons, hunting public land, and seeing birds flush...

our group of 6 booked to hunt an outfitter in the mitchell area on 10/31-11/2. one of my buddies and i arrived a day early to try and kick up a few on some public land. we scratched out 3 without dogs and would have filled our limit had we not shot so poorly that first day.

720x960.jpeg.d69d3a2f08c04e7089a2239109f09906.large

on the first day of the guided, our group of 6 filled out limit by 1:30.

12187715_10153145639225895_6458902482750435347_n.jpg

on the second day, our group joined another group of 7 and we limited out by 2:30.

12191922_10153144345530895_3022693763156409225_n.jpg

on the third day of the guided hunt our group of 6 had 18 by noon.

12189753_10153145639315895_5737465352822341260_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back