2013 Drought Monitor

Nice to see improvement. Would be good to see some rain in So. Colorado. I did some driving over the weekend and it was good to see so much green between Kiowa and Strasburg.

I have been looking around at the DOT web cameras at KS, NE and CO ... most of pheasant country is greening up nicely.

high_plains_dm-20_zps8756f839.png

A little moisture for NE Colorado and a stray storm in the SE part of the State! Winding and Warm and going to get Hot for a week before we see some change!!!!! Tall grass is starting to dry out which is perfect timing for the 4th of July fireworks!!!! Some fields I seen today were at my waist!!!!

slow improvement ...

hopefully the monsoon season will kick in early.

Also, it is interesting to have a look at and compare the Drought Monitor image to maps of the "Dust Bowl"
11_29_12_2012_vs_1930.jpg

Last edited:
Most likely another tough bird year! There will be pockets!! South Dakota to the North looks very promising!!!!

I am in Billings, Montana this week. It was incredibly green all the way from CO - MT. Lakes and reservoirs are full. Last year when I did the same drive, it could best be "brown and burning".

Drove out towards Chief Plenty Coups State Park in the evening and heard a few rooster cackles as the sun was going down.

:cheers:

I am in Billings, Montana this week. It was incredibly green all the way from CO - MT. Lakes and reservoirs are full. Last year when I did the same drive, it could best be "brown and burning".

Drove out towards Chief Plenty Coups State Park in the evening and heard a few rooster cackles as the sun was going down.

:cheers:

Take some pic's and post them up!!!!!

Here ya go BB! The first pic is pretty much what it was like from ~Buffalo to Billings. There was even green in the dry stretch north of Casper.

A few miles from the Montana/Wyoming border.
9096452635_2cb009c69b_z.jpg

Near Red Lodge, MT.
9096467287_3e7f5d16d7_z.jpg

Just before heading up Beartooth Pass.
9098733060_b3ac4a7373_z.jpg

Last edited:
RE: Smells
Only the first evening after driving to Billings - went out to near Chief Plenty Coups State Park - only stayed there about 15 min. The mosquitoes were terrible. We easily had 50 mosquitoes in the car only from opening the door to get in. Heard a few rooster cackles and that was about it.

The bugs were thick all over - I ran the car through the car wash in Billings, then had to use the car wash brush to remove the "bug cake" once I was back in Colorado.

Another observation last night ... I was out in Strasburg, CO in the evening and there were crickets everywhere. Last year it seemed as if there weren't any crickets or bugs to be found anywhere.

Very nice pic's!! Get in to any smells????:cheers:

Woohoo! :cheers:

Possible temps in the 70s by the 4th of July.
Nice to hear that the forecasters are getting excited about the possibility of rain.

T weather forecast for the upcoming week looks great, lets hope it goes as forecasted :thumbsup:

Getting slammed right now with hail and heavy heavy rain. Water has crossed over the curb and gutter across the walk and is into the yard.:thumbsup:

Back