2013 Drought Monitor

BleuBijou

Looks like this will take a long time to break!! We just seem to stay a little ahead and are not catching up with leaps and bounds!

high_plains_dm-20_zpsdc23657c.png

Here is what it looked like in 2012! One year ago!!

high_plains_dm1-11-1_zps331e0fc7.png

I think we forget the past and look fruitfully toward the future......

It will take a Superbowl Win to forget the past!!! A football reference that is so true!! I can remember not wanting to go to another Superbowl after the 4 losses. Hard to forget the past until you win one!! When the drought gives up and the birds are fruitful I will cherish the moment even more!! I don't think this year is going to be good, but as long as it gets started in the other direction it will help. Keep the moisture a coming!!! Heard we need 7 feet of snow in the High Country to be Normal and fill the reservoirs! Scaring thing is we are at or above moisture for the year in Denver and the drought is still bad!!!

It will take a Superbowl Win to forget the past!!! A football reference that is so true!! I can remember not wanting to go to another Superbowl after the 4 losses. Hard to forget the past until you win one!! When the drought gives up and the birds are fruitful I will cherish the moment even more!! I don't think this year is going to be good, but as long as it gets started in the other direction it will help. Keep the moisture a coming!!! Heard we need 7 feet of snow in the High Country to be Normal and fill the reservoirs! Scaring thing is we are at or above moisture for the year in Denver and the drought is still bad!!!

That's why I am stuck in the past:mad:. At least your hope is better than mine:eek:

Our prayers may be answered ... all at once next week.

National Weather Service Discussion

LATEST MODEL RUN NOW SHOWS A DEEPER NEARLY CLOSED TROUGH OVER
THE REGION...FORMING NOT UNTIL LATE ON MONDAY OR MONDAY NIGHT. THE
LATEST RUNS OF THE GFS...ECMWF...DGEX AND CANADIAN GEM MODELS
INDICATE AN EVEN LATER ARRIVAL OF THE MID/UPPER LEVEL VORTEX.
OVERALL MODELS SHOW THE 500MB LOW CAMPING OVER OR JUST EAST OF THE
FOUR CORNERS TUESDAY MORNING. ITS SLOWER EASTWARD PROGRESS AND THE
FACT THAT ITS APRIL...ONE OF THE SNOWIEST/ WETTEST MONTHS OF THE
YEAR FOR THE FRONT RANGE AREA...ARE TWO GOOD REASONS TO KEEP A CLOSE
EYE ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT PRECIP
PRODUCER. BASED ON THE THU/12Z RUN OF THE GFS... ECMWF AND CANADIAN
GEM MODELS...MON NIGHT AND TUE IS THE PERIOD WITH THE BEST CHANCE OF
SIGNIFICANT PRECIP IN NORTH CENTRAL/NORTHEAST COLORADO. SNOW TOTAL
AMOUNTS PROGGED BY MODELS HAVE BEEN ALL OVER THE PLACE. TWO MODELS
SUGGEST UP TO 3 FEET OF SNOW IN THE NORTHERN FRONT RANGE...AND AS
MUCH AS 10-20 INCHES ON PARTS OF THE PLAINS BY TUESDAY NIGHT. TOTALS
AT LOWER ELEVATIONS LOOK WAY OVER DONE BASED ON THE WARM 850/700 MB
TEMP GUIDANCE. GFS...ECMWF AND GEM WOULD HAVE US BELIEVE SNOWFALL
WOULDN/T DEVELOP ON THE PLAINS TIL TUESDAY AFTERNOON. BOTTOM
LINE...WITH CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY IN THE MODELS BEYOND SUNDAY...WILL
INTRODUCE ONLY A FEW CHANGES TO CURRENT FORECAST GRIDS. FOR NOW
BIGGEST CHANGE TO FORECAST GRIDS WILL BE TO RAISE POPS TO LIKELY
CATEGORY IN MTNS ZONES FOR MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY.

Computer models changed a bit and beginning to be in agreement on normal precip and not "epic" precip next week. I was looking forward to a snow day or two.

For Monday through Thursday...flow aloft will continue to back
and be southerly by Monday evening. Temperatures will be near
normal Monday. If enough moisture is pulled into the
area...thunderstorms will be possible Monday afternoon. Models
are coming into better agreement but still are not great leaving
the track still uncertain. By 12z Tuesday...most of the models
indicate the upper level low will be centered somewhere near The
Four Corners. If the low ends up here...this will put northeast
Colorado under a diffluent flow aloft. Will increase probability of precipitation for
Monday night and Tuesday...as its looking better for
precipitation. Models are showing the dry slot over southeast
Colorado at this time...so will have the lowest probability of precipitation over the
eastern plains where precipitation chances are a little less.
There will be cold air with this system...so depending on the
track and timing...rain could change to snow over the plains late
Monday night or early Tuesday. For now...will go with rain and
snow for the plains from Monday night on until precipitation type
is more certain.

That's interesting that SE ND is abnormally dry or moderate drought. They've had a ton of snow and been under flood warnings for the past week.:confused:

Denver is above their normal % of moisture and is also in that boat. Wonder if they still are taking into account the lack of moisture for the past 2 years??:confused: as well!! Some more damn snow coming in tonight! Wish it would just rain.

water

denver area is up over 25% from last year, tonight ought to help also. just returned from n. w. kansas, the wheat out there has changed from a kinda sickly yellow to green and is starting to grow, some of the ranchers are just now putting water to their wheat

cheers

Lots of rain tonight!!! Changing to snow at some point but the gutters are running full tilt.:thumbsup:

Woohoo ... nice - heavy wet snow up here in Longmont.

Checked out some CDOT cameras ... looks like rain/snow up by Sterling. Cheyenne/Laramie are getting hammered. Snow in NE from Wyo border to Paxton and looks like rain in North Platte down to McCook.

05/01/2013 1100 am

Fort Collins, Larimer County.

Heavy snow m11.0 inch, reported by trained spotter.

05/01/2013 1029 am

6 miles SW of Loveland, Larimer County.

Heavy snow m10.0 inch, reported by trained spotter.

05/01/2013 1028 am

2 miles ENE of fort collinsland, Larimer County.

Heavy snow m15.0 inch, reported by trained spotter.

05/01/2013 0115 PM

1 miles SSW of fort collinsorado sprernash, Larimer County.

Heavy snow m10.2 inch, reported by trained spotter.
:cheers:

Yup,

If you don't like the weather in Co, Wyo, Mo, wait 10 minutes and it will change.:D

Winter is never over in these states. Cheyenne got 15" and is still getting more, we need the moisture, it's a good thing.

You are all welcome to come to Arizona and spend time in the 100 plus degree temps we have had for the pass week.:thumbsup:

Send some rain too Oklahoma Please :)

We have had just about 40" of snow the last 3 weeks plus a good rain before this last snow. Almost 1.5" of moisture. Someone else could use some now. Sending to OK, Kansas, and S.E. Colo.!! Mountains are spectacular today. Jmac, you just keep that 100 degree crap down there. I do love the smell of citrus in Az in the Spring.:cheers:

Back