2013 Drought Monitor

Finally a light!!!!!!!!!! Should look better next week as well. My friend in Kansas planted his cattle pens to millet. When he left to go harvest and came home the weeds were 7 feet high in there and the millet is under there looking good. He wanted to mow it and I told him if he did, no more elk for him!! He laughed and said he will not mow it. That will be great winter cover and food for the few birds he has. Keep those hens fat and healthy and away from predators till Spring breeding and hatching takes center stage next year. I told him it will draw in birds from other properties, so he may see 30-40 this winter. I guess we will see!!!

Big improvement, especially in SE Colorado. Granted the whole state is in some stage of drought, but the D4 percentage is certainly shrinking.

Came across some precip maps which showed the % above normal for the last 2 weeks and some areas (all of the right places) were 300% above normal. Hopefully this trend will continue.

This year's season may be a bit ho hum, but it is good to see recovery. The drought didn't happen overnight, and neither will the recovery.

:cheers:

It's definitely looking better, although it's unfortunate that the best pheasant areas of KS and NE are the areas that happen to still be red. Does anyone know why the map has so much orange and red this year even though everything is way greener and wetter than last year, when the map had very little orange or red in the same areas?

I am guessing it is due to the fact they are still low on precip from previous years and maybe this year????? We just have to get out and see what bird sign is on the ground this fall!!!

I was watching the Denver weather this morning, and noticed that Denver was 2 inches below normal in terms of precip.

I know that it isn't done this way, but it seems like it would be a better model to take an average of measurements, spread across some distance rather than a single "official" station. We live in Broomfield - our yard isn't quite "soggy" but ... it is close. I just dont see how Denver could be down two inches with all of the spring snow, and all of the rain that we have received this summer, unless the weather station is sitting under a shed. :rolleyes:

The temps have certainly been cooler too ... it seems that we have had a significant number of sub 90 degree days so far this summer.

Last edited:
I was watching the Denver weather this morning, and noticed that Denver was 2 inches below normal in terms of precip.

I know that it isn't done this way, but it seems like it would be a better model to take an average of measurements, spread across some distance rather than a single "official" station. We live in Broomfield - our yard isn't quite "soggy" but ... it is close. I just dont see how Denver could be down two inches with all of the spring snow, and all of the rain that we have received this summer, unless the weather station is sitting under a shed. :rolleyes:

The temps have certainly been cooler too ... it seems that we have had a significant number of sub 90 degree days so far this summer.

I know....I think that the "official" rain fall is measured at the airport, if it doesn't rain there enough, then it isn't "official".

Greg

... which is crazy because it is 25 miles (driving) from DIA to downtown Denver. :rolleyes:

I know right!! Down here in Colorado Springs, the airport is of course on the far southeast side of the city.

I read that Colorado Springs has had almost 7 inches of rain this month and the average temp has been 69degrees:eek:

Greg

9528038420_8661fca430_c.jpg

Improving, slowly.

Looking at the chart for this week last year, 99% of Colorado was D2 - D4 and 70% of the state was D3 - D4.

I hadn't thought that it was that bad last summer until I took a drive out east, and saw field after field of 2 foot high dried up and scorched corn.

Last edited:
Seems to be improving overall.
SW CO is getting quite a bit of moisture from the remnants of the tropical storm near Baja - which should help with the D4 conditions over there.

Last ones of the year! New feature with the counties is a great addition!
high_plains_dm-2_zps48e895ab.png
20130903_high_plains_text_zps6b38b723.png

right on

after looking at the latest map you provided and having just returned from two days in that terrible area of n. w. kansas and what i saw out there, it is spot on and while the season isn't here yet, the area bodes very pore for much of a hunt this fall, can hope, will go but maybe just for the sake of not staying home. mail counts ought to be out any day now, cross you fingers

Thanks Chad....it looks like the area in SW Kansas I hunt has improved alot since last year and according to my local guy, he bodes true for what he said. A decent hatch, enough rain that they got a good milo crop, so while the birds won't be as good as the "good years" he said better than the last two years which is saying alot.

I already have my motel reservations....ready to go!!

Greg

Okay, riddle me this...what is the area in red? It looks just east of Pueblo county? Is that Otero county?

Did you see SW Kansas? Pretty amazing if you ask me compared to this time last year.

Greg

Back