1950s Browning 16 gauge

Steel should be ok…maybe call a gunsmith or browning if you’re unsure. Bismuth if you can find it…I’ve got hand loaded hevi shot 16 gauge shells I bot about a decade ago…133 of them, have maybe 50-60 left…$1 apiece…mostly 5’s and 6’s…good loads…I’d give you 15 for that picture…if we were able to do the exchange in person…🥰 Did some research…it appears steel is NOT ok! You must have known that, hence the question….👍
I used an a5 for years when I was younger, and I shot steel though it lots.It was made in the 40s. I sort of screwed up the barrel, but it is still usable. I think these old Browning guns are lead only.Mine is full choke 2 3/4 gun. I'll have to research this some.Thanks for info.

The new sweet 16 can't hold a candle to a 1950s sweet 16.This is not open to debate. Golden hour makes great videos,but needs to get rid of that ugly shotgun. An old Browning has honor.
Can I ask what is the difference? Haha I can guarantee the newer Sweet 16s pattern better and operate just as effectively. Alot of technological advancements have been made in the last 70 years Goose.

I don’t like the terms toxic/non-toxic for shot. It seems like a label an Anti would coin. And why not, just listen to how it sounds. Not a good look for hunting. Many ways to go with this. Lead vs steel, Traditional vs Modern, Heavy vs light. Upland vs Waterfowl. Take your pick because there’s nothing toxic about hunting.
I mean lead IS toxic. I've never heard of someone getting steel poisoning.

I have a 1950's A5 16 gauge. It isn't a "Sweet 16" but it is extremely well balanced, modified choke, vent rib and the wood is great. I don't know that it was ever hunted. Mint Condition. It is going with me to SD this week. Lead or Bismuth only.

I had a 1960 Sweet Sixteen with 26" barrel choked IC with a vent rib. It weighed right at 7 lbs. I now have a new A5 Sweet Sixteen that I have grown to love as it's a dream to carry at under 6 lbs.

Goose, why do you think the 50's Sweet are better? The Auto 5's were made in Belgium until the mid 70's and all the guns from they 50's until then are virtually the same.

How bout gun powder? Not labeled as toxic but I sure ain’t putting it on my Cheerios. How bout anti freeze? Certainly toxic yet it’s nowhere found in the nomenclature. Point being the hunting public needs to always put their best foot forward. I’m not sold on the requirement for non lead shot anyway. Rest assured the anti crowd will use every angle to put hunting in a bad light.

Can I ask what is the difference? Haha I can guarantee the newer Sweet 16s pattern better and operate just as effectively. Alot of technological advancements have been made in the last 70 years Goose.
Quality. The new Browning are made in Japan. The old ones are well made.

I had a 1960 Sweet Sixteen with 26" barrel choked IC with a vent rib. It weighed right at 7 lbs. I now have a new A5 Sweet Sixteen that I have grown to love as it's a dream to carry at under 6 lbs.

Goose, why do you think the 50's Sweet are better? The Auto 5's were made in Belgium until the mid 70's and all the guns from they 50's until then are virtually the same.
I think pre 61 have the rounded knob.

I got no problems with Japanese made guns Goose. My dad has a 1990 Citori, made in Japan. Works fantastic. You should just stand on the "Browning makes good guns" leg and I'd be with you. But trying to say new = bad, old = good don't always work. Try something new once in awhile, you might like 21st century tech.

I got no problems with Japanese made guns Goose. My dad has a 1990 Citori, made in Japan. Works fantastic. You should just stand on the "Browning makes good guns" leg and I'd be with you. But trying to say new = bad, old = good don't always work. Try something new once in awhile, you might like 21st century tech.
I'm sure the new ones are good. The old ones are considered to be better.

Back